IGNORED

2012 Portland Retro Gaming Expo! Who will be there?

I'm hoping to show "Planetary Defense 2012", an updated version of the old Atari 800 type-in assembly-language game Charles Bachand and I wrote for ANALOG Computing Magazine. I added bonus planet "terraforming" every 8000 points (so that if you survive long enough, your planet will repair some of the damage) and when run on the upcoming release of the "Colleen" Atari 800 emulator for the Android platform, it can be played using the Android touchscreen and will submit your scores to an Internet leaderboard! The same executable runs on a stock 400/800, just no touchscreen or leaderboard submission. What a fun job it was to upgrade! I hadn't touched 6502 assembly language in about 27 years... it all came back to me (shudder!)

Also doing some cool new software running on Atari "Tempest" hardware with Clay Cowgill of Ground Kontrol. More 6502 assembly on hardware I would have killed to work on back in the day. Hopefully will have something to show.

Wow. Sounds great. I can't wait to try Planetary Defense 2012. For those of us who can't make it to the show please post your progress on your site.

Allan

Hi everyone, I was informed of this thread by Rick. I am Trevor and I run a new retro video game store in Portland called Bald Guy Video Games and I'll be having a booth at the expo this year. Tell me you are from atari age and i'll give you 10% off anything you want to buy. I keep meaning to post more here with things to sell whatnot, but I just get so busy with everything that I just don't find the time yet, but I will. I love lurking here though and just reading things so you keep me entertained. :)

I also wanted to add that I have actually seen a rise in walk in traffic and I would say 70% at least or more say that they found me on prge as a vendor and that's how they found out about my store. So i'm already getting benefit by the sheer fact that i'm listed as a future vendor. So just wanted to say thank you for that it's awesome. I hope after the expo that people will get to know my store even more and then i'll have more regular traffic.

Very very much looking forward to this expo. I've never been a vendor at a trade show or expo before and my only real exposure to this kind of environment is when I went to Comic Con like 5 or so years ago and that was just so huge, bloated, and insane that I know this isn't even comparable and should be much more enjoyable than Comic Con.

Hi everyone, I was informed of this thread by Rick. I am Trevor and I run a new retro video game store in Portland called Bald Guy Video Games and I'll be having a booth at the expo this year. Tell me you are from atari age and i'll give you 10% off anything you want to buy. I keep meaning to post more here with things to sell whatnot, but I just get so busy with everything that I just don't find the time yet, but I will. I love lurking here though and just reading things so you keep me entertained. :)

I also wanted to add that I have actually seen a rise in walk in traffic and I would say 70% at least or more say that they found me on prge as a vendor and that's how they found out about my store. So i'm already getting benefit by the sheer fact that i'm listed as a future vendor. So just wanted to say thank you for that it's awesome. I hope after the expo that people will get to know my store even more and then i'll have more regular traffic.

Very very much looking forward to this expo. I've never been a vendor at a trade show or expo before and my only real exposure to this kind of environment is when I went to Comic Con like 5 or so years ago and that was just so huge, bloated, and insane that I know this isn't even comparable and should be much more enjoyable than Comic Con.

Hey Trevor! Glad to see you got a booth. This is Toby that sold you that pile of NES consoles from CL.

Like Rick Weis and Recycledgamer, I will also be going because I am one of the organizers of the show. Glad to hear that AA will have a booth again this year. Less than a month away and I can't wait!

Ooooo, moving on up into the big digs. Nice!

Does look nice, but I've never been there. Should be interesting!

Where are most people who are reading this staying?

Normally if there is an attached hotel I would stay there, but since there isn't in this case, I ended up renting a condo. :)

..Al

I've stayed at the Doubletree before. It's not a bad hotel....nothing exciting, but nice. I'm not familar with any of the other hotels in the immediate area. I've stayed at a couple of the downtown hotels before (Govenor and Marriott) and then up in the NW Industrial Dist. A work trip may be brining me out there at the same time....if so, I'll definitely be heading back to the PRGE!

There are a ton of options in the immediate area around the convention center, including the Crown Plaza, where the event was held two and three years ago.

The more adventurous and thrify visitors may want to consider some of the lodging in the Burnside district. I am told that Portland's skid row hotels are among the finest in the nation.

Fun Fact: the term "Skid Row" began in Portland. What turned into Burnside St. began as the "skid road" where logs were dragged down from the west hills to mills / barges on the Willamette River. Later, the area became a haven for the homeless and disenfranchised and you can still see them there today.

To learn more about Skid Row, please visit your local library. You know, the building where the rest of the the homeless and disenfranchised hang out.

• Like 2

The AtariAge booth has a roadie to help set up and take down......I'm headed to Portland! My wife and I will be headed to the coast on Friday, but the weekend will be spent hanging out with AA members......that is, if you so choose to hang out with me. ;)

Awesome! I am amped!! Practicing my pinky-extending and monocle squinting as I type.....

Edit: Although.......this means I have competition for any 3M or Avalon Hill games that show up this year. Hmmm.

• Like 1

The AtariAge booth has a roadie to help set up and take down......I'm headed to Portland! My wife and I will be headed to the coast on Friday, but the weekend will be spent hanging out with AA members......that is, if you so choose to hang out with me. ;)

Awesome! I am amped!! Practicing my pinky-extending and monocle squinting as I type.....

Edit: Although.......this means I have competition for any 3M or Avalon Hill games that show up this year. Hmmm.

BAH! I was just about to post the same thing! We shall see who wins this round, Mr. Head, we shall see who wins....... :D :D :D My wife and I fly out Monday evening, so we're planning on spending Monday hitting thrifts and trolling for board games around town. :) I'm sure the convention will be big enough for the two of us, as I'm mostly going to try to get my filthy hands on a Battlestation II!

BAH! I was just about to post the same thing! We shall see who wins this round, Mr. Head, we shall see who wins....... :D :D :D

Actually, I guess we both made out pretty good on last year's haul!

• Like 1

I originally had a business trip scheduled that was going to prevent me from making the trip up to Portland, but that's been re-scheduled. So now, lock up your women and hide your TurboGrafx games, because IT'S ON!!!

Albert, please put me down for an XL.

Chris

• Like 1

I originally had a business trip scheduled that was going to prevent me from making the trip up to Portland, but that's been re-scheduled. So now, lock up your women and hide your TurboGrafx games, because IT'S ON!!!

Chris

We must consume a tasty beer together, sir! :) :thumbsup:

Chris

I'll have plenty of XL shirts. I'm getting these run in two colors, navy blue (same as the original run) as well as maroon. Just verified with the screen printing company that I'll have them in time for the show (they are local, so I can just pick them up).

..Al

Actually, if anyone wants to, we should get a group of guys together for a little local beer-drink hang-out. Everyone, PM me if you're interested, I'll mantle the responsibility of arranging particulars. :) I think we have enough time to get a big table at a local place for dinner & a nice brew with some good Atari discussion! :)