IGNORED

2012 Portland Retro Gaming Expo! Who will be there?

Hi all, I was at the expo this year and had a great time. One thing I'm wondering about is the Yars' Revenge coin-op that was there. Was this actually released by Atari back in the day? Or was it a custom cabinet made by a Yars' Revenge afficianado more recently? The artwork on it was amazing.

Hi all, I was at the expo this year and had a great time. One thing I'm wondering about is the Yars' Revenge coin-op that was there. Was this actually released by Atari back in the day? Or was it a custom cabinet made by a Yars' Revenge afficianado more recently? The artwork on it was amazing.

It was a custom cabinet.

..Al

It was a custom cabinet.

..Al

....and for some reason, my mad Yar's Revenge skills (ok, maybe I'm not that great, but I can get to 600K-700K) were all for naught on this machine. I couldn't really fault the controls or anything and the difficulty didn't seem out of whack, I just sucked at it for some reason. It really was a nice looking machine.

I hope everyone got a crack at the custom Tron version of the Atari Video Pinball also.

Actually next one should be the Kelso Charity Event(Cowlitz Gamers for Kids) and the one I created. We had about 500 folks at this smaller show . This is sponsored by PRGE and I consider it smaller version of the larger PRGE show. This event helped raise 5,000 for a local charity(Childrens Justice and Advocacy Center). One day event held on a Sat. The show will be around late March, Early April of 2013. We had a very large venue in the Kelso Mall and hope to return with more vendors, arcade machines, and fun. Here are some pics of last years event

http://cowlitzgamers...m/expo-2012.php

Is there an e-mail list or anything to get notification of this show? I'd love to go. Thanks

Is there an e-mail list or anything to get notification of this show? I'd love to go. Thanks

Since PRGE is the official sponsor of this show, I use their website(www.retrogamingexpo.com) as the place to go to for information about the show. There is a link on their website to sign up for upcoming expos, one of which is Cowlitz Gamers for Kids

http://www.retrogamingexpo.com/mailing_list.php

There will be a facebook event page, as well as updates posted here in the events section once more details are formed about the show. My goal is to have a date picked out by end of November, which is sooner than I have ever have had a date. The goal is to have it in the same place it was last year, which was awesome. Stay tuned for more updates about the event, which will start to come out in December hopefully!. Target date for show will be late March Early April of 2013.

It was a custom cabinet.

..Al

....and for some reason, my mad Yar's Revenge skills (ok, maybe I'm not that great, but I can get to 600K-700K) were all for naught on this machine. I couldn't really fault the controls or anything and the difficulty didn't seem out of whack, I just sucked at it for some reason. It really was a nice looking machine.

I hope everyone got a crack at the custom Tron version of the Atari Video Pinball also.

It's because you knew people were watching! :D

The custom Tron Video Pinball was really awesome. I didn't get a chance to play it but I did gawk at it for a while. :)

The Yar's Revenge artwork and the custom Tron Video Pinball were done by Rich at www.ThisOldGame.com . They have lots of cool t-shirts and arcade/pinball artwork for sale. They also did the t-shirts for the show.

The Yar's Revenge artwork and the custom Tron Video Pinball were done by Rich at www.ThisOldGame.com . They have lots of cool t-shirts and arcade/pinball artwork for sale. They also did the t-shirts for the show.

Yea, Rich did the art package for both games and I am still stunned how well the Yar's cab turned out. I did the custom hardware and software for his Tron Video Pinball 2.0 a couple years back and we have been working on a few upgrades since the Portland show so the Tron should be even more impressive next year. There is also Space Paranoids in the works but Rich is a little behind schedule on the integration so it did not make it to the last show.

yars.jpg

Edited by xray2
  • Like 1

Uh... actually... no.

The game was built after on a discussion Rich and I had at CAX 2009 and unveiled at CAX 2010 so I don't have any recent pictures. I did find a couple of photos of Rich's Tron Video Pinball 2.0 next to my original Atari Video Pinball when we were setting up at CAX 2011. The side art on his TRON is highly reflective so it is hard to achieve a good picture in low light and is way shiny when you get the right angle.

After looking at the pictures I can tell there have been at least 2 artworks packages, lighting, audio, software and at least one playfield upgrade since these pictures were taken. The audio amp and speakers are larger at each outing and we went from a UV tube to a series of UV LEDs then back to multiple UV tubes. There have been a number of other upgrades after the Portland show too but I'll let Rich talk about those when he's ready.

There is also a long, sad story of what happened to the Tron cab on it's way to the first public showing back in 2010. It involves a flat tire, car accident and an airborne game! We were literally gluing and screwing the cab back together on the CAX floor for the first 2 hours of the show back in 2010.

IMG_1846b.jpg

IMG_1849b.jpg

• Like 1