IGNORED

psychicall lynx lcd dimension

candle

Agreed, Lynx 1 might be a bit tricky. I am sure I could do it if anyone wanted me to do theirs but I suspect it wouldnt be that easy. It's one thing soldering a TSOP, its another soldering a ribbon to a PCB. other than on a DVD assembly ive never seen a ribbon soldered onto a board like this, they nearly are always are socketed.

Edited by GadgetUK

It could be possible to:

a) solder directly to exposed VIAs near LCD connectors (shown clearly on closeup #3 of MrBland's photos (THANK YOU!!))

b) solder ZIF connector there for 1.25mm pitch FFC/FPC cable - it might be hard to get one that isn't through-hole though - this kind of connector (at that pitch) usually have zig-zag patter of pins as on lynx ii

if no connector can be fitted, you'll be looking at soldering 15 wires directly to lynx mother board - not too many, but still not pretty thing to do

there is a third option, but costs might be prohibiting - there are type of pcb that was originally used for connecting that pcb -its called flex pcb, and can be made to any size and shape, problem is i never did such pcb, so i don't know the cost, and they aren't ment for prototypes

removing original flex to get rid of the lcd module will be another story

right now, i'm rather leaning toward making two separate boards (for lynx and lynx ii) rather than one-fits-all solution as i can't see how i could get them both on single one since mechanical costrains are so diffrent

one another thing is getting 26-way FFC/FPC cable - in Poland i can get 28-ways ones and they would need to be trimmed by hand (simple task but still not pretty, and getting it to right size so it wouldn't move inside original connector might be tricky) and China factories accept orders of 1000pcs or more

in the end there will be a demand factor - might be that there won't be many modyfying original lynx, and project for this one won't enter the production

maybe i should do a poll?

It could be possible to:

a) solder directly to exposed VIAs near LCD connectors (shown clearly on closeup #3 of MrBland's photos (THANK YOU!!))

b) solder ZIF connector there for 1.25mm pitch FFC/FPC cable - it might be hard to get one that isn't through-hole though - this kind of connector (at that pitch) usually have zig-zag patter of pins as on lynx ii

if no connector can be fitted, you'll be looking at soldering 15 wires directly to lynx mother board - not too many, but still not pretty thing to do

there is a third option, but costs might be prohibiting - there are type of pcb that was originally used for connecting that pcb -its called flex pcb, and can be made to any size and shape, problem is i never did such pcb, so i don't know the cost, and they aren't ment for prototypes

removing original flex to get rid of the lcd module will be another story

right now, i'm rather leaning toward making two separate boards (for lynx and lynx ii) rather than one-fits-all solution as i can't see how i could get them both on single one since mechanical costrains are so diffrent

one another thing is getting 26-way FFC/FPC cable - in Poland i can get 28-ways ones and they would need to be trimmed by hand (simple task but still not pretty, and getting it to right size so it wouldn't move inside original connector might be tricky) and China factories accept orders of 1000pcs or more

in the end there will be a demand factor - might be that there won't be many modyfying original lynx, and project for this one won't enter the production

maybe i should do a poll?

I only have a Lynx II, so that would be the one I'd go for. As for the flex cable, I'm also having trouble finding 26-conductor versions, so I'm not sure what to say, there. :(

Lynx I is very rare compared to Lynx II. Would it make sense to just do the Lynx II and if it is possible have some instructions for hard core modders to solder it into a Lynx I.

I have a Lynx I with a very good LCD. But I have a few Lynx II's and my development Lynx has a fading LCD so I would probably only want to get a better screen to that one.

--

Karri

• 2 weeks later...