IGNORED

Atari 2600 Games That Don't Suck

Metal Jesus

Very well-made and entertaining video. I had never seen gameplay footage of Pengo before, so that was nice. Thanks!!

One constructive criticism: I don't really care for the title of your video because it implies that good 2600 games are extremely rare. I, and many others who frequent this site, could list dozens more that don't suck. Also, you might want to make mention of the homebrew scene as well (if you haven't already done so in your other video).

I look froward to seeing more of your videos.....

Fun video.

Have to second the props for Turmoil. I bought it new at the end of the golden age of Atari. I found it at a mall toy store in the 'Atari! Everything Must Go!' $5 bin. At the time, I had never heard of the game, but I ended up playing it a lot for a long time. I still have the cart I bought that day decades ago..

Definitely gonna have to put in some Turmoil Time, again, tonight. :)

BTW nice reviews, watched a couple of non-Atari ones. Refreshing compared to the "OMG E.T. IZ TEH WIRST!" or "GFX R AZZ, GAM3 SUX!" types you usually see.

Thanks for the compliment. I used to review new games professionally, so I like to bring a tad more professionalism to my videos. But instead of reviewing the latest Call of Modern Doody... I get to review old stuff *I* like. It's a way better situation :)

Edited by Metal Jesus
  • Like 1

Very well-made and entertaining video....

One constructive criticism: I don't really care for the title of your video because it implies that good 2600 games are extremely rare. I, and many others who frequent this site, could list dozens more that don't suck.

I agree on both counts - great video, kind of misleading title. I'd never seen Beanie Bopper or Private Eye before, and my Fantastic Voyage cart doesn't work so I've never actually played it. Thanks for showing those, it was a nice review of both common and not-so-common games. Really enjoyed it, I'll definitely be checking out more of your videos.

I like to bring a tad more professionalism to my videos.
That definitely came through - nice job putting it together. Edited by BydoEmpire

great video, kind of misleading title

The title comes from countless conversations with younger gamers who think most old 2600 games are terrible... almost like watching an old black & white movie when you didn't grow up with them. On this forum, we can't imagine anybody thinking that, but that's what the title is meant for.

• Like 2

Any time you run across someon who thinks 2600 games are terrible, point them in the direction of something impressive like The Official Frogger or either Pitfall game. There's a ton of great titles out there.

Others you might check out are Astroblast, Dark Cavern, and Space Attack. All three of those will have you white knuckling a controller until the game ends.

Another awesome video! You Rock Metal Jesus!!! :)

This is what the collective comments here are saying about the VCS:

The 2600 has more retro coolness than any other system; so much so that it's still alive and thriving. Even Atari keeps flashing back with new releases of the hardware, both real and in emulation. Updates to old favourites like the aforementioned Voice Enhanced Beserk and new releases of Arcade Classics never seen before on the 2600 keep this system going and going and going like an Energizer bunny.

The unique hardware is so flexible that developers today can push it beyond the outer limits of yesteryear, the fun literally never ends!

What other system do you race the electron beam across the screen and program it in real time? Without a screen buffer games must be fast and responsive by design.

Metal Jesus, you are the man to cover the story of the enternal VCS, the perpetual 2600, that iconoclastic console so thoroughly embedded in the culture and history of gaming. :)

great video, kind of misleading title

The title comes from countless conversations with younger gamers who think most old 2600 games are terrible... almost like watching an old black & white movie when you didn't grow up with them. On this forum, we can't imagine anybody thinking that, but that's what the title is meant for.

I still remember when my daughter (the same one from this thread http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/202339-my-daughters-8th-grade-teacher-brought-a-2600-vectrex-to-class/ ) said "Is that one of those gray movies? I don't like gray movies."

They are so out of it now, they don't even KNOW OF the term "Black and White".

Rarely I have the oportunity to send Stella and some roms.

It depends on the person I'm sending to but usually I pick around 50 games.

This is my list from the last time someone showed somewhat interested:

Frantic (wip)

Beamrider

Berzerk

Berzerk Voice Enhanced

Blinky Goes Up

Bobby is Going Home

Conquest of Mars

Defender

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

Dragonfire

Enduro

Escape from the Mindmaster

FantasticVoyage

Frostbit

Gyruss

H.E.R.O.

Halo2600

Jungle Hunt

Kangaroo

Keystone Karpers

Laser Gates

Megamania

Millipede

Montezuma's Revenge

Mr Postman

Ms Pacman

Pitfall

Pitfall 2

Qbert

River Raid

Seaquest

Smurf

Snoopy and the Red Baron

Solaris

Space Invaders

Space Rocks (wip)

Spiderman

Star Strike

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

The Official Frogger

Thunderground

Tron Deadly Discs

Vanguard

Venture

Yar's Revenge

How many games would form a great starter pack?

What games would you put in such a list?

I was assuming the person won't download any more roms and should have a good experience through Atari 2600's catalog.

Yeah, both of these videos are really designed to help the new and young 2600 collector on their way. Get them started collecting for this awesome system.

Point them in the direction of Red Sea Crossing, lol. Speaking of comics, loved the Berzerk one...and the game...and the artwork. I'm seriously considering it as a new tattoo idea. Closer on topic, love the videos MJR, definitely my favorite Youtuber right now and I mean that in a completely manly way, lol. I love metal, beer and professionalism so you fit the mold to a "T." I'm more Colecovision myself but absolutely love me some Atari. Now if someone can point me in the direction of a CIB Worm War 1 I'd be appreciative...which by the way is totally a forgotten gem if I ever saw one.