IGNORED

Sprite movement

retroshaun

OK... another probably stupid question.

I have a playfield set up in DPC+ with the screen res set with DF(0-3)FRACINC. All looks good. I have now added 3 sprites (player 0-2) and all I am doing is displaying them in a line across the screen and then I have a subroutine to increment their Y position so they effectively move down the screen, top to bottom.

The weird part is, if I start them anywhere on the visible screen, they don't move at all!! However if I start them off screen (for example at Y=200) then they move just as expected, starting right at the screen top and moving off the bottom then cycling to the top again.

What the hell?

Best way to get help is to attach your code, it's hard to debug what you can't see.

I just saw your other post about "non-internet laptop". Do you have a way to transfer files between it and the computer you're using online? Floppy, USB stick, etc.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

No I was at work (long story on the internet thing!). At home now so all is well.

I think theres a fundamental thing I am simply not "getting" about DPC+. I am playing around now with this code, simply setting the default Y position in a var and assigning that to player0y with... "unexpected" results. I can cycle through 0, 10, 20 etc but when I hit, for example, 60... the sprite disappears completely. Most odd. How is the screen space addressed?

I have screen res and init set up as follows, and I admit to not really understanding the bank code at present, which may well be the problem!

set kernel DPC+

set smartbranching on

set optimization inlinerand

set kernel_options collision(playfield,player1)

set tv ntsc

goto StartInBank2 bank2

bank 2

temp1 = temp1

StartInBank2

DF0FRACINC = 32

DF1FRACINC = 32

DF2FRACINC = 32

DF3FRACINC = 32

DF4FRACINC = 64

And the main sprite update code is:

dim ey = 10

player0x = 30

main

gosub moveSprites

player0y = ey

drawscreen

goto main

moveSprites

ey = ey + 1

return

Like I said - its **very** basic at this point as I am only experimenting.

But as its set, this doesnt display the sprite. If I initially set player0x to, for example, 200... it works as expected.

dim ey = 10

This isn't how you use dim. The item on the right of the equal sign should be a predefined bB variable, and the purpose of the command is to give that variable another name. (to make your code readable.)

For the code you wrote here, I'd expect bB to set the label "ey" to memory location 10, which is a TIA hardware register... screwy results will naturally follow.

Check out the dim section of the bB guide at Random Terrain's site for more info.

[edit] also worth mentioning that there's no reason you can't directly manipulated player0y; "player0y=player0y+1" works just fine.

dim ey = 10

This isn't how you use dim. The item on the right of the equal sign should be a predefined bB variable, and the purpose of the command is to give that variable another name. (to make your code readable.)

For the code you wrote here, I'd expect bB to set the label "ey" to memory location 10, which is a TIA hardware register... screwy results will naturally follow.

Check out the dim section of the bB guide at Random Terrain's site for more info.

[edit] also worth mentioning that there's no reason you can't directly manipulated player0y; "player0y=player0y+1" works just fine.

Ahhh OK I got it - I was reading some stuff on DIM in another post and I guess what was written there was incorrect. That would explain it :)

Yes I realized I could increment player0y directly but I need to track the value for another use.

Thanks!

EDIT: All is working just fine now, thanks!

Edited by retroshaun