IGNORED

Deary by SquoQuo

emkay

Sometimes I wonder...

The point of that demo is the fluent presentation. Packed together with a lot of ideas and different effects.

You guys write of it just like it's a standard thing. The whole A8 Demoscene offers less than a hand full of those demos. And only one of that uses just 32K.

The "BIG" Numen Demo doesn't offer those nice visual transitions.

The cigarette smoke.... well... nothing to say, because it's got totally underestimated here.

Have you realized the "realtime voxels" .... hey, it's a 32K demo, running several fully different effects that spare the small memory package.

emkay... I realised the fluent and transitions which are well executed ;) so I don't blame the production at all... I only pointed out what impressed me... and most the twistors (ok... simple mode9 with PRIOR changes) and the damned Gr.8 "c64 like" Gr.0 starter... :)

so don't get me wrong here... and yes, I have seen that it is a file demo :)

need to look again on the voxel stuff.

don't get me wrong - I did actually like that demo, but when I left my last comment I was watching it on my iPhone (so not the best keyboard in the world for writing long expressive comments) and was really knackered, so that pretty much explains my lack of enthusiasm.

I don't think the transitions for the most part are anything special, but I do like some of the effects - I have an urge to play with rotozoomers now for some reason...

32K is the filesize limit, not the Ram requirement - this demo uses a depacker (as noted in the credits).

It depacks during the run of the demo.

Some impressive effects inside. As to lack of interest, demos are all well and good but have nowhere near the staying power of games.

Depends on the quality.

I cant make it run on my real Atari. First I thought it's maybe connected to QMEG OS replacement. But even without Qmeg - no success.

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

grüße,

\twh

Nope. Works (with QMeg even9 on my 800XL (PAL)

They disable the loading sound rather early. So I thought the first time it doesn't load. However, the LED of my MicroSDrive were blinking, so I waited and then it started.

Let me chime in on this one, I'm Hopper/SquoQuo (god knows why I chose another username in this forum ;) )

First: Thanks for the compliments, I'm really happy that you like it. Yes we were quite inactive on the Atari (only doing some fun games lately), but I hope we can release more demos soon.

The demo should work on almost any hardware (I even removed illegal opcodes completely), so I would be interested in your specific configuration under which it doesn't work.

We do make use of some parts of RAM under the ROM (e.g. for storing the inflate routine and the temporary inflate data), maybe that's interfering with your custom OS? As I've read, QMEG OS makes use of the international font, which we do replace. However I'm not sure, why it would work for Creature XL then...

Edited by Tschibo00

Hi Hopper,

good to see you around in this forum!! :)

Ok false alarm: what me made sceptic was the sudden "stop of loading". So I was simply not expecting, that it changes after a second of loading to silent mode. The demo runs absolutely perfect with or without QMEG - I was just not patient enough while the demo was loading.

silly me :)

greetings,

twh!

When I see the kinds of things that geniuses are doing on the Atari 8-Bit, I can't help but regret the cost, in terms of raw computing power, of abstraction layers, operating systems, and code reusability. I mean, if you could somehow quantify, as results against hardware capacity, projects like this demo, Numen, FJC's GUI, Project-M, and Space Harrier, and then extrapolate that number out to the relative hardware capacity of today's desktop computer, you would come up a number that must mean we aren't getting any bang for our hardware buck. I wonder why someone hasn't written a dedicated microkernel OS as an includable library of functions for bootable applications. Can you imagine what the same minds that continue to push the Atari 8-Bit to almost unbelievable effects would do with metal-level access to the x86/64 platform?

When I see the kinds of things that geniuses are doing on the Atari 8-Bit, I can't help but regret the cost, in terms of raw computing power, of abstraction layers, operating systems, and code reusability. I mean, if you could somehow quantify, as results against hardware capacity, projects like this demo, Numen, FJC's GUI, Project-M, and Space Harrier, and then extrapolate that number out to the relative hardware capacity of today's desktop computer, you would come up a number that must mean we aren't getting any bang for our hardware buck. I wonder why someone hasn't written a dedicated microkernel OS as an includable library of functions for bootable applications. Can you imagine what the same minds that continue to push the Atari 8-Bit to almost unbelievable effects would do with metal-level access to the x86/64 platform?

Not much, imho. As you might know, the A8 always runs on the full speed. So it's equal whether there is a program running or not.

On the PC things get different, as unused parts always get switched off or power reduced. The hardware isn't build to run 100% all the time.

Optimisations still could be reached using assembler instead of "C", and direct programming, instead of using DX , OGL, whatever. But this would tilt the Graphics-Card and or other parts of a PC.