IGNORED

Sega CD Model 1 - Plays audio CDs but not games.

ViciousTengu

I've recently purchased a non-working Sega CD off of e-Bay that had a problem with the tray constantly ejecting and not spinning discs. After some minor gear realignment and a belt change I was able to get the tray working 100% but for some reason I am still not able to load any games :( . Strange thing about this is I am still able to play audio CDs just fine. I've tested the games it came with on a modchiped Xbox and they played fine so I am begining to think this may be some kind of laser issue. I've already tried all the basic cleaning steps and am ready to consult the experts. I want to bring this thing back to life! :)

P.S. Any experience with generic KSS-240A laser pickups?

Yes, they are all region 1 discs. The games aren't even detected as audio CDs like I believe they should be... Say I turn on the Sega CD and then the BIOS screen with the Sega CD logo comes up perfectly fine. It says "Press RESET to open the CD tray" from this point if a regular audio CD is inserted it goes to the jukebox screen and plays all tracks perfectly fine, But if a game is inserted it just stays on the BIOS screen and nothing happens at all. I purchased and tried installing a Chinese replacement laser pickup and that just causes the disc to not spin at all even after potentiometer adjustents.

• 5 years later...

I have this exact same problem with my Japanese Megadrive + Mega CD (model 1). It plays audio CDs fine, but when trying to load a game it just keeps playing the bios screen. I have fully recapped both consoles and even changed a new laser to Mega CD, but still same problem. I measured CD-unit flat cable that all the threads are working. Must have something to do with data line :/ Did ViciousTengu or any one else solve this problem? And I have a US region free BIOS installed, but tried Japanese region free too with my MD everdrive.

Edited by nassekova

• 8 months later...

I have this exact same problem with my Japanese Megadrive + Mega CD (model 1). It plays audio CDs fine, but when trying to load a game it just keeps playing the bios screen. I have fully recapped both consoles and even changed a new laser to Mega CD, but still same problem. I measured CD-unit flat cable that all the threads are working. Must have something to do with data line :/ Did ViciousTengu or any one else solve this problem? And I have a US region free BIOS installed, but tried Japanese region free too with my MD everdrive.

i have the very same problem too, how i can fix it? T.T

Edited by Arnold101

My PAL Mega-CD 2 complains if I plug it into my jap Megadrive so I assume the same happens with all incorrect Megadrive/CD combinations. It would display a grey screen with text along the lines of "This is a PAL Mega-CD 2 and may only be used with a PAL Megadrive"

Many (but not all) Japanese Mega-CD have a BIOS that doesn't check the system so in most cases, Japanese Mega-CD + any megadrive/genesis model is a pass.

At least the Japanese game Snatcher (the only Mega-CD game I have) even play with my PAL Megadrive so for some games, even having a PAL Megadrive on a Japanese Mega-CD will work!

I heard that many games will check the region of the Megadrive so you'll probably still need to switch your system.

Also, I jump in to confirm that playing a CD game on a MegaCD from a different region won't do; all of the Mega-CD games I tried that were in PAL or US versions simply appeared as audio CD on my Japanese Mega-CD, while my Japanese Snatcher copy plays fine; and it's a rail-shooter with FMV so I know that my player lense isn't busted.

So those are my 2 cents to the issue. I'm afraid I can't help more.

try adjusting the actual spindle itself. I had to swap a laser assembly in my model 1 due to something burning out the laser diode just min after a recap. It was basically doing the same thing. Then I saw that the spindle looked to be a little too low so I took it back out and popped it up a bit higher by about mm or so. After that, it has been ready games and stuff just fine.

try adjusting the actual spindle itself. I had to swap a laser assembly in my model 1 due to something burning out the laser diode just min after a recap. It was basically doing the same thing. Then I saw that the spindle looked to be a little too low so I took it back out and popped it up a bit higher by about mm or so. After that, it has been ready games and stuff just fine.

I had this problem with a ps1 after replacing a broken spindle. I don't know if the sega cd spindles are ceramic - if so, they break easy.

If anybody reads this and want to adjust the spindle - don't use a screwdriver!

The best thing I found for pulling them off is two of these on each side:

post-47811-0-36342900-1552553534.jpg

Just a cheap SD card cover cut to size.

They also work pretty well for setting the height of the spindle.

Leave it under when pushing down and it will be a about 1mm off the base of the drive motor.

That seemed to be a pretty good starting point.

I purchased and tried installing a Chinese replacement laser pickup and that just causes the disc to not spin at all even after potentiometer adjustments.

There might be an anti-static solder blob you need to remove on the Chinese laser, did you perform this step? I've had mixed results with cheap china lasers, but usually it will at least spin the disc.

SegaCD doesn't play its games, but let's you listen to music huh? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :rolling:

go making the troll elsewhere. And i fixed it. :D

how do you move the spindle?

There might be an anti-static solder blob you need to remove on the Chinese laser, did you perform this step? I've had mixed results with cheap china lasers, but usually it will at least spin the disc.

can you show where? on a sony lens

Edited by Arnold101

FYI, here is a good overall troubleshooting thread for Sega CDs:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22027-Sega-CD-systems-repair-thread

The solder blob or bridge looks similar to the following:

FvWem

For some reason I cannot find a picture of the sony laser, sometimes they don't have a bridge so I cannot say for sure.