IGNORED

Super Mario 2600 Entire World 1 Demo!

Sprybug

I just tried my six button Genesis brand controller on my Heavy Sixer.

The C button did work with Defender Arcade 2 button for smart bombs.

The C button did not do anything in this game and I played to the end where Bowser Jr. is, and I was small, big, flashing, and flashing with music.

I have been playing with the DPC+ kernel for more than a year (haven't finished any games but made a lot of cool sprites) and if you could manage to do so many things right with the original bAtari basic wait until you use DPC+! With 10 single line any color sprites with intelligent flicker, single line or greater playfield any color per line (32 wide), any color background color change every other line...

A lot of my ideas use music and batari basic DPC+ doesn't have 3 channel music, so they're shelved. I've started things that are too complex, so I need to pick something simple and build from there.

This is one game in batari basic I would want to own on cart because, as I've said, so many things are done right. The game play, the sound and music, the scrolling, the sprites, all together make it great.

You may have had an older version of the game that doesn't have it. I found that out tonight and didn't implement Genesis controller support until SMBv07. So that's probably your issue right there. Sorry for leading everyone out on this wild goose chase to figure out the problem when the problem was probably just an old version of the game.

I would LOVE to use DPC+ in the future. To think of a follow-up mario game I could make with it. Batari is still very buggy using it though, which is why I haven't. Maybe thia will help inspire the developers to get a good clean working version of Batari with DPC+, cuz I would make a sequel.

• Like 1

I'm sorry people are having problems. It works flawlessly with my hardware setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_cpH806Ss

4-Switch Woodgrain Atari (manufactured in 1980)

Harmony cart

"PR_V1.bas.bin" by Sprybug

Original Sega brand 3-button Genesis controlle

Well that explains it I have version 6.

Nice LED on your Atari bro.

Hey, thanks. It annoyed me that I couldn't tell when I left the Atari on since all my other consoles had LEDs, so when I refurbed my new-to-me 4-switch Atari by replacing the 5V power regulator and "chicklet" capacitor (I was having snowy display issues; see my first post at Atariage), I added a 12V LED to the 9V leads in between the power switch and voltage regulator. I also stripped the stock RCA cable and replaced it with a real coax RF jack on the back. They had red, yellow, and green LEDs with built in resistors at Radio Shack; I was going to install yellow, but when I asked my fiance's input, she suggested green. My NES also has an LED mod since the original red LED burned out for reasons unknown, so I replaced it with one of those ultra bright blue LEDs from Radio Shack.

Well that explains it I have version 6.

Yeah, SMB v6 is the latest version Sprybug has made public. It includes world 1 only. I volunteered as a beta tester, so Sprybug sent me SMB v9 (early title screen and worlds 1-3) and later PR v1 (Princess Rescue, tentative and possible official future cart release title to avoid trademark infringement on behalf of the big "N" - it includes all worlds 1-4 plus a nicer title screen, Princess sprite, and hard mode). That's why I was able to post a playthrough video of World 2. I've not even seen worlds 3-4 yet, as I've sort of stopped playing Princess Rescue for the time being, because if I play it too much now, I'll get tired and not have anything to look forward too when it releases on a real cart. When everyone started complaining that Genesis "C" button wasn't operating properly, I fired up my Harmony cart and demonstrated otherwise. There's still at least one other member, KevinMos3, who also posted a "victory" video (so I know he has access to the PR_v1 ROM), and claimed to have problems using a Genesis controller on an Atari Jr, so there may still be some bugs to iron out to ensure this ROM is compatible with all Ataris, including the later 7800 and Jr models. I do own one 6-button Genesis controller which I bought as a player 2 spare, but I've not yet dug it out and tested it on my Atari (I currently have no 6-button Genesis games, as I'm really not into the Fighting genre which mostly used the fancy controllers and was hugely popular in the early 90s). The 6-button Genesis controller does have a much more sophisticated logic chip in it, so it's possible the "C" button detection algorithm may not work properly on a 6-button Genesis gamepad. Remember, the Genesis controller was from a much later generation, and never designed to be backwards compatible with the Atari, nor visa-versa, so the fact that it works at all on any Atari VCS model is really pure luck. I think when the Sega guys designed the Master System and Genesis/Megadrive, they looked to the existing pinouts for older consoles for inspiration, and the older Atari camp just lucked out with a great controller design that actually worked. It wasn't until years later that homebrewers figured out that the Atari could actually be programmed to detect a second action button, a feat that couldn't be pulled off with even the 7800 controller. Edited by stardust4ever

Hey, thanks. It annoyed me that I couldn't tell when I left the Atari on since all my other consoles had LEDs, so when I refurbed my new-to-me 4-switch Atari by replacing the 5V power regulator and "chicklet" capacitor (I was having snowy display issues; see my first post at Atariage), I added a 12V LED to the 9V leads in between the power switch and voltage regulator. I also stripped the stock RCA cable and replaced it with a real coax RF jack on the back. They had red, yellow, and green LEDs with built in resistors at Radio Shack; I was going to install yellow, but when I asked my fiance's input, she suggested green. My NES also has an LED mod since the original red LED burned out for reasons unknown, so I replaced it with one of those ultra bright blue LEDs from Radio Shack.

Yeah, SMB v6 is the latest version Sprybug has made public. It includes world 1 only. I volunteered as a beta tester, so Sprybug sent me SMB v9 (early title screen and worlds 1-3) and later PR v1 (Princess Rescue, tentative and possible official future cart release title to avoid trademark infringement on behalf of the big "N" - it includes all worlds 1-4 plus a nicer title screen, Princess sprite, and hard mode). That's why I was able to post a playthrough video of World 2. I've not even seen worlds 3-4 yet, as I've sort of stopped playing Princess Rescue for the time being, because if I play it too much now, I'll get tired and not have anything to look forward too when it releases on a real cart. When everyone started complaining that Genesis "C" button wasn't operating properly, I fired up my Harmony cart and demonstrated otherwise. There's still at least one other member, KevinMos3, who also posted a "victory" video (so I know he has access to the PR_v1 ROM), and claimed to have problems using a Genesis controller on an Atari Jr, so there may still be some bugs to iron out to ensure this ROM is compatible with all Ataris, including the later 7800 and Jr models. I do own one 6-button Genesis controller which I bought as a player 2 spare, but I've not yet dug it out and tested it on my Atari (I currently have no 6-button Genesis games, as I'm really not into the Fighting genre which mostly used the fancy controllers and was hugely popular in the early 90s). The 6-button Genesis controller does have a much more sophisticated logic chip in it, so it's possible the "C" button detection algorithm may not work properly on a 6-button Genesis gamepad. Remember, the Genesis controller was from a much later generation, and never designed to be backwards compatible with the Atari, nor visa-versa, so the fact that it works at all on any Atari VCS model is really pure luck. I think when the Sega guys designed the Master System and Genesis/Megadrive, they looked to the existing pinouts for older consoles for inspiration, and the older Atari camp just lucked out with a great controller design that actually worked. It wasn't until years later that homebrewers figured out that the Atari could actually be programmed to detect a second action button, a feat that couldn't be pulled off with even the 7800 controller.

Maybe there's an issue with the Atari Jr. and a Genesis controller. There's only so much I can do on the programming end, unless Rev Eng or someone finds out something new. I used the method introduced to me through the Random Terrain's Batari Programming guide. The C button basically leaves the pot latch open (which is why the Harmony cart thinks you have a paddle hooked up at first until you press the B button). This is how it detects that it is a Genesis controller. Once it sees that it sets a bit flag for the entire game to use a Genesis controller instead of the standard Atari joystick configuration. When the C button is pressed it closes the circuit to the pot so to speak from what I understand which is why in the code to check for button c its !inpt1{7} instead of inpt1{7}.

• Like 1

Face color.

I know the 'world number' screen flickers and the colors are dimmer, but the face looks greener in that screen than in the game.

You had said about adjusting the face color after trying on a real TV, maybe it was overlooked here or it's just the flickering?

Also, when Jumpman dies with both hands in the air falling off the bottom of the screen, his face is more yellow-green than in the game,

I haven't noticed any green-ness on my TV but then again, I wasn't really paying attention. Also, for the full cart release, the colors and scanline counts will need to be tweaked for PAL regions. Just my two cents, but I think big/little Mario would stand out better with red/blue overalls instead of Brown. Either way, the sprites look awesome!

I was just pointing out a difference in color values. Really, I guess the ones I pointed out are more yellow than green, but they are different than the flesh-color of the main character. With everything else so well done and great interest in this amazing game I'm sure the author would appreciate pointing out bugs, inconsistencies and suggestions.

Also a suggestion: This is now Princess Rescue. Maybe there should be a teaser in the title screen that shows the princess sprite, or her face, or her scrolling away, or a suggestion of a princess very far away.

Face color.

I know the 'world number' screen flickers and the colors are dimmer, but the face looks greener in that screen than in the game.

You had said about adjusting the face color after trying on a real TV, maybe it was overlooked here or it's just the flickering?

Also, when Jumpman dies with both hands in the air falling off the bottom of the screen, his face is more yellow-green than in the game,

Yep, that was the old color and that's where I noticed the differences too. I made a change a while back on the color, but I didn't quite get all the sprites. Those were the 2 I missed. The flickering is supposed to happen there. There are 4 sprites on the level screen.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any green-ness on my TV but then again, I wasn't really paying attention. Also, for the full cart release, the colors and scanline counts will need to be tweaked for PAL regions. Just my two cents, but I think big/little Mario would stand out better with red/blue overalls instead of Brown. Either way, the sprites look awesome!

Brown? Don't know where the brown is. The overall color is black and the reason why that is is because you can only do one color per line on a sprite. In SMB3 his overalls were black, so I used that as my model.

• Like 1

Brown? Don't know where the brown is. The overall color is black and the reason why that is is because you can only do one color per line on a sprite. In SMB3 his overalls were black, so I used that as my model.

Perhaps he meant the shirt color shows brown-ish on PAL???

Maybe in a future sequel if DPC+ and Batari get along a lot better.

I had success just incrementing your level pointer (variable b) in the demo code. It's kind of fun. Don't know if you have the extra resources to implement it, though...

For a sequel, you might consider having blocks disappear and reappear and scroll the playfield forwards and backwards to force players to navigate a jump puzzle. It's not quite the same as riding a platform or diagonal scrolling, but it would be interesting anyhow..

Edited by orange808

I had success just incrementing your level pointer (variable b) in the demo code. It's kind of fun. Don't know if you have the extra resources to implement it, though...

For a sequel, you might consider having blocks disappear and reappear and scroll the playfield forwards and backwards to force players to navigate a jump puzzle. It's not quite the same as riding a platform or diagonal scrolling, but it would be interesting anyhow..

That's a cool idea! I really like it. Something I'll think of doing in the sequel. In order to make blocks appear and disappear I'd need to set up some sort of routine that may use a little bit of RAM that I don't have, not to mention ROM. Little late for ideas in this game, however, I still encourage people to still throw out ideas if I decide to do another.

• Like 1

KevinMos3, does the genesis autodetect using the binary from this thread?

Also, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but if you're using Harmony, try choosing the rom from the menu with the RESET switch rather than the B button on the controller.

Finally took a moment to check on this. I've now tested with a 2600 Jr, a Heavy Sixer and a 7800. I get the same result with each, which is:

The 2-button test program shows a blue screen so it is detecting the Genesis controller.

However, only the B button works. The C button shows that it stays pressed.

I get the same result with the Jr, the Heavy Sixer, the 7800 and with every controller (Sega 3-button, Sega 6-button, & 3rd party controllers of various types).

I also tried starting the game from the Harmony cart using the reset switch as RevEng suggested.

I will reiterate: 2-button hacked games work fine on my Jr, my Heavy Sixer, and my 7800 with each of the controller types tested. It's this bB game and the bB test rom that do not. Apparently it's this bB code that has the issue. What's so puzzling is why it doesn't work on the systems I've tested, but works on some other ppls.

The only other thing I can think of is if it's a Harmony cart issue, but I have the latest firmware.

Edited by KevinMos3

Bug reporting:

*I got stuck in the ceiling, see the picture attached.

I only could jump to the top of the screen and I couldn't go left or right and then the time ran out.

post-29575-0-27258400-1350771299_thumb.jpg

*When you jump on the sproing, the sound should stop.

*<Solved>The C button does not work on my six button original Genesis controller, but I think that it is detected because pressing up doesn't fire and pressing C doesn't fire (and it does work on games hacked to use the 2 button Genesis controller). What Kevin said about it being always pressed, maybe you need code to unpress it after it is detected?

Just a thought: I may have gotten stuck in the playfield because I was playing with a Genesis Joypad and it was reading the C button as "held down"? Any other reports of this happening before? I'll let you know if it happens again playing my "fixed" binary.

I will reiterate: 2-button hacked games work fine on my Jr, my Heavy Sixer, and my 7800 with each of the controller types tested. It's this bB game and the bB test rom that do not. Apparently it's this bB code that has the issue. What's so puzzling is why it doesn't work on the systems I've tested, but works on some other ppls.

Any luck with any of these?

2buttonread.noground.bin

2buttonread.nogroundlatch.bin

2buttonread.nolatch.bin