IGNORED

A Question of Boxes (and how to preserve them)

Unbeliever

Well, since I have a few boxed games, I was wondering how folks around here went about keeping them in good condition. If you see some that have slight rips, do you put clear tape on them to patch them up or leave them be? Some of my boxed games do have the plastic cover that goes over them, but a few do not with some flaps that have seen better days. Any thoughts on how to "fix" these and what do you guys and gals do to keep your boxes looking spiffy?

I generally recommend a set of transparent box protectors, such as those offered here:

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/

I've bought several of these, mostly for my Atari and Intellivision games, and the boxes actually look better to me inside the protectors than they did in their original shrinkwrap. If I need to patch up a tear in a game box, I usually try to hide the tape by applying it to the inside of the box. If it has to go on the outside, I try to choose a transparent tape which matches the surface texture (either glossy or matte) as closely as possible.

I have a few of these box protectors from someone here on this site when they shipped the Atari 2600 to me (and all the goodies). However, paypal is not an option for me. I will try the tape trick to see if I can "fix" it. One box in particular (my CIB of Pac-Man) has ripped flaps and I want to make them more Aesthetically pleasing. I have to say, the box protectors are amazing...

Someone else just recently inquired about boxes. I bought mine at clearbags.com and ordered product FPB166. I got 300 of them for about 60 cents shipped. It gives about 1/8" side room and 1/8" top room. Good for those imperfect boxes that may be a bit too high or wide. Some boxes won't fit in, but the ones from the poster above won't either. I thought 60 cents each delivered was a great price.

Phil

Please do not use tape on the boxes. Over time, the adhesive will dry-out causing the tape to fall-off. It will also discolour and permanently stain the box.

If you must tape it, use something that will not cause damage to the item, e.g. https://sales.ccs.alberta.ca/paa/store/default.aspx?tagid=13

Personally, I have simply flattened all of my boxes and store them that way (inside of a larger box); space is an issue for me.

Hey folks,

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster.

I have several of those box protectors linked above. They make the boxes look great and I don't have to worry about them being crushed (short of stepping on them but I don't leave them on the floor), I'm wondering if anybody has had any kind of ventilation issues with them? I just started using them about 4 months ago but haven't noticed any problems yet. Would it hurt to through a silica gel packet in there? I've never really thought of moisture being a huge problem but I've noticed that a couple of my Intellivision boxes had a bit of mildew or some brown spots on the inside around the plastic cartridge insert. They were recent purchases and I haven't noticed it on any of my others so it was probably just an issue with the original owner not storing them properly.

Thanks,

SlickyPants

I use Elmer's stick glue to repair minor rips and tears in my game boxes. It's also good for fixing the flaps that have separated into layers. I rarely use tape unless the box is just shot anyway. If it's falling apart, then I see nothing to lose. The other thing I do is keep unboxed copies of the games I do have in boxes. That way I don't need to open and close the boxes and risk tearing them.

I'm not really a box collector, though. I have maybe 100 boxed cartridges in my entire game collection.

Your best bet with mold/mildew is to open up shrinkwrap games and clean the boxes. If it's already open and are inside the box, open the box along the seam, then clean them. You can then glue the seam back together. I've had some problems with mold/mildew. Make sure you store your games in a dry area. My basement is actually dry, so I don't worry about moisture accumulating in the boxes.

Phil

...Personally, I have simply flattened all of my boxes and store them that way...

Me as well, but I do not have many boxes. I think that is the best solution. ALL boxes were made and shipped flat. You can drive a tank over a stack of them and not hurt them a bit! If you want you can put them in a ziplock or some other container in bulk. Mine are just in a drawer of my atari cabinets.

• Like 1

If you decide to flatten boxes, keep in mind that the glued ones you'd have to be careful opening the bottom flap without tearing it. Also, about 1/2 my games are sealed, so opening them for me and flattening is not an option. :)

Phil

That is true, but I would open everything I bought! (the only exceptions are ones I have more than 1 of.) Like I said I have few boxes anyway. I wish they were all like the Parker Bros ones, those are nice. (But unflattenable)