IGNORED

Looking for BB/ST Software, Rare?

Though to be honest, with 3 Express boards already going (DarkForce, ST Guild, Toxic Nipple)....

Why not try something that no one else is running?

That is tempting. But, after my experience trying to resurrect my BBS on the 8-bit, I want stability over novelty. The ST hardware is not more stable than the 8-bit, but replacement parts that are "known good" are easier to find this reduces the amount of uncertainty in putting the board up. I just do knothole the time to invest 40+ hours to set the BBS up for the Nth time because it failed for some arcane hardware reason that I cannot replace (i.e., a Hard drive that works or a hard drive interface that I know works. There is now "out of box" hard drive approach that works on the 8bit and *even if there was* the BBS software tends to be tied to certain flavors of DOS.

So, not outside the realm of possibility, just not right now.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Got a full copy of Forum ST , i will upload it here : There are ways to get it to connect to a LAN: Its on the other PC I have to log out and relog in with the other PC : Edit: ON the other PC (I have 5 of them)… not including my Atari stuff. Anyways here is the file: 

FORUMST.ZIP

Edited by rcamp48
Adding a file on my other computer

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Android8675 said:

Fine, I'm doubleing my offer. First person to located a copy of BB/ST v2 or higher gets my eternal gratitude and 4 SHINY pennies. I might even be able to find copper pennies to sweeten the deal.

(This is my annual thread bump)

Was looking at this on the BBS Software Directory.. looks really interesting.. so I am following the thread as well. Besides Tillek wants to see some different software used for any new board.. I like the idea of the nested msgs. Also looking at a bbs called FS ForeSight.. not sure what the final version of that was.. trying to contact the author.. found his contact on Twitter.  Looks like something different anyway ;)

James

4 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

Was looking at this on the BBS Software Directory.. looks really interesting.. so I am following the thread as well. Besides Tillek wants to see some different software used for any new board.. I like the idea of the nested msgs. Also looking at a bbs called FS ForeSight.. not sure what the final version of that was.. trying to contact the author.. found his contact on Twitter.  Looks like something different anyway ;)

James

I have BBS Express Professional as 6 DD diskettes for the 8 bit with original serial numbers....

Russ

PS: Gonna pay for it if I can and run it....

Edited by rcamp48
Update

2 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I have BBS Express Professional as 6 DD diskettes for the 8 bit with original serial numbers....

Russ

PS: Gonna pay for it if I can and run it....

Just so you know, that's not new.  If anything, the Atari BBS community is over-saturated with BBS Express Pro BBS's.

7 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

James

Some very important points....

1) Yeah... I did say that... and I do truly believe it... but.....

2) Most important over all things, I think a BBS SysOp needs to have vision... some kind of vision... nearly any kind of vision.  If a BBS SysOp really wants to run a BBS on a certain software because they "ran it back in the day" or because it has the features they want.... GO for it.  If you want to run something no one has seen (in 20-30 years) and wants to make a showcase out of it... GO for it.  If you want to run a BBS... and are kinda flimflammy and maybe sure I'll just go ahead to do something and running something different is ok cause some guy thinks we need it... NO NO NO.

If you (not you specifically, this is a general purpose "you") want to run a BBS because it's cool. STOP. It's not.  If you really have a vision, then do what follows that vision, and screw anyone (especially including me) who gets in your way.  I'll say it till my last breath that we don't need an A8 BBS Express Pro BBS in this community... but we do need BBS's with vision (especially one where the vision isn't being met by the other BBS's) even if it WAS a BBS Express Pro BBS.

If that makes any sense......

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:58 PM, Bikerbob said:

James

I ran Giligan's Island BBS and The Outer Limits BBS back in the day off of ForeSight.  Brian was a friend of mine and I helped out a bit with development/testing and helped with some of the documentation.  Setup wasn't exactly easy and Brian had plans to simplify that.  The BBS was a blast to run and the split screen chat that Aaron Hopkins developed for Brian was really cool as well as the Multi-BBS networking that Brian was working on.  Development of Foresight kind of came at the end of the BBS era so to speak and when Brian went off to college development pretty much stopped so we never got out of beta.  I believe the last version put out was 4.7 beta.  Unfortunately I gave away my Mega STe soon after moving to TX so I don't have the source code any more.  I gave it to someone on this forum about 18 years ago.   If the guy I gave the Mega STe to reads this and still has the Mega STe can you check to see if you still have the source code on the hard drive (I know it's a long shot).  If Brian doesn't get back with you on Twitter let me know and I'll reach out to him on Facebook.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks Dgnadt.. I did see your BBSs listed in the documentation.

What I am running into now is trying to test.. play with various BBS softwares on an Emulator STEEM OR HATARI.. NOT easy.. not like an 8 bit on Altira or something.. 

I got Foresight past the cfg.. to get the msg bases "wiped" but when I ran the program proper.. it would not work as it refused to do anything if it could not initialize a modem.. and I have not figured out how to get either of those programs (emulators) to emu a modem.. 

So.. I will have to setup a machine as pure - play with BBS software tester.. I have the .47.. so thats the last.. OK.. cool.

James

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John DeMar, Robert Dolan, Richard Gortatowsky and Steve Grimm are the names I can associate with QMI and its products.

BB/ST specifically seems to be Steve Grimm.. but not sure if others contributed. 

If anyone has seen or heard of these guys.. they were back in the day all up in the Rochester NY area.

The real shame is QMI stopped making products back in 89 - im sure they felt there was little of no future for their stuff..   I really like their DeskCart! and I am trying to get it working (RTC).. talking to John DeMar I am sure would help. You could program other things into that cart add UIS III for example or your other favorite item.. I think an RTC/accessory cart is still a very useful idea.  I have several and would love to get the RTC working beyond 2000. More software than hardware.

Anyway.. BB/ST did get out there.. DeskCarts! they had a high res tablet, several other great products..  But most of their info, contacts, any sources etc.. seem to be gone.

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey look, December, 2019... Where does the time go?

Reward is up to $0.08. This is going to cost me big time in about a decade. I admit I haven't had much time to search this year. Honestly I think I'd be better off just writing my own version of BB/ST. I can probably learn x language, and build up something from scratch before I find a copy of v2.xx

• Like 1