IGNORED

Looking for BB/ST Software, Rare?

According to his LinkedIn page, Steven Grimm was the "Author of BB/ST bulletin board software for Atari ST, published by Quantum Microsystems" in 1987-88.

Why don't you send him a message and see if he still has a copy of his software?  He will probably find this thread amusing.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-grimm-96526b1

• 2 years later...

Wow, time flys. I think I was too tired in 2021, and I'm a week late from 2022, but it's 2023, so why the hell not! Time for a BB/ST bump!

Still [kind of] looking for v2+ of BB/ST. Why I haven't just written my own software by now, I'll never know, but hey, maybe someone's joined atariage.com in the last 2 years and has a big ole box of floppies from the BBS Golden Age.

If not, well Happy New Year all you Atari Crazies.

-Andy

3 hours ago, Android8675 said:

Wow, time flys. I think I was too tired in 2021, and I'm a week late from 2022, but it's 2023, so why the hell not! Time for a BB/ST bump!

Still [kind of] looking for v2+ of BB/ST. Why I haven't just written my own software by now, I'll never know, but hey, maybe someone's joined atariage.com in the last 2 years and has a big ole box of floppies from the BBS Golden Age.

If not, well Happy New Year all you Atari Crazies.

-Andy

What is so special, if I may ask, that would have you considering writing your own over using one of the ones out there any modifying it?

• Haha 1

I have a love affair with b-tree style message boards. There were 2 in Santa Cruz that I called often that ran on old Victor computers. BB/ST is the only commercial BBS program that has one implemented out of the box. I ran a board a long time ago on BB/ST, but sold the system and all discs back in the 90s.

basically a b-tree board is just one top message that has X replies and those replies have X replies, and so on making an upside-down tree that you can navigate by going up, left, right. etc. Something I could probably re-create. I think Citidel uses a similar system, but, was mostly just trying to find a copy for archival purposes at this point. It's fun I guess.

-A.

• Like 1

I migfht have it, I am just getting my 2 1050 disk drives fixed and I have close to 1000 8 bit disks from the BBS era. Once I get the 2 1050 drives fixed I will be again going throuhg some of these 1000 disks before I send them off to Austarlia to a friend that is looking for original floppy disks for the Atari 800xl.

Russ

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, rcamp48 said:

I migfht have it, I am just getting my 2 1050 disk drives fixed and I have close to 1000 8 bit disks from the BBS era. Once I get the 2 1050 drives fixed I will be again going throuhg some of these 1000 disks before I send them off to Austarlia to a friend that is looking for original floppy disks for the Atari 800xl.

Russ

Been a while, time to poke the BB/ST thread.

Russ, BB/ST for Atari ST, not the 8bits, but I gotta ask, did you uncover anything?

Also, here's a lovely conversation I had with ChatGPT v3.5 about BB/ST, and FYI, ChatGPT just loves throwing out random information as "Factual". I'd be curious of v4 was any better, but not motivated enough to purchase a subscription.

Asking ChatGPT about BB/ST

8 hours ago, Android8675 said:

Been a while, time to poke the BB/ST thread.

Russ, BB/ST for Atari ST, not the 8bits, but I gotta ask, did you uncover anything?

Also, here's a lovely conversation I had with ChatGPT v3.5 about BB/ST, and FYI, ChatGPT just loves throwing out random information as "Factual". I'd be curious of v4 was any better, but not motivated enough to purchase a subscription.

Asking ChatGPT about BB/ST

Suddenly I feel a new sense of job security. :D

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:10 PM, Tillek said:

Suddenly I feel a new sense of job security. :D

I find it funny that there are AIs in browsers now like Chromium (Edge/Chrome, etc) because the current iteration can give you info, but it still requires you to research the answers, and I don't think a lot of people understand this. So AI says something "factual", the human spreads it around, turns out it's false, but the answer is out there, and the AI will pick up that info in the future and run with it.

Let's see what happens in 3 years when I re-ping this tread.

For you guys that are looking for mass storage comes a 16 TB SSD from probably Wish, question is would it be any good, I just received one from a friend and he swears that they are reliable , technology has come a long ways so who knows ? 

Pictures are enclosed, has anyone else got one of these drives and tried it ? WIN_20240424_22_29_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.0bad1cf004192d4301b3368674533dcb.jpgWIN_20240424_22_28_38_Pro.thumb.jpg.f9efd2c7bf463515943c0977b71e4d40.jpg

Russ