IGNORED

Is this a good time to get a Wii?

Unbeliever

I've never taken the plunge...in fact, it never even crossed my mind until a few minutes ago. Since I will have some money (play money, which I will gladly spend on myself) by the end of September, is this a good time to take the Wii plunge? I have owned just about every Nintendo system, but for some reason, this didn't tickle my fancy. Perhaps back in the day I thought the "motion" control was to gimicky or lame, or some such thing. But now? I'm seriously considering it. Since I have some time, I've been tossing around ideas for another gaming system. I don't have a modern console right now, and have had an Xbox 360, played on the PS3, but....the Wii is peaking my interest more and more.

Perhaps for the simple reason that it has Animal Crossing: City Folk. I'm a BIG fan of the Animal Crossing games, play AC: WW on a regular (daily, hourly, etc.) basis, and have seen videos of this game on the Wii and am sorely tempted. I also love Mario, and there's certainly some games on the Wii I'd love to play. The price of the Wii is reasonable now, with a pack-in game ($149.99 msrp last I saw), and I'm sure I could get a refurbished one for $100.00.

What would YOU do in my place? Would you take the plunge? The Wii U is coming, at a VERY high price point, so it would potentially be years before I would own it. The Wii is in reach, or will be, at the end of September/beginning of October. What do you Wii owners think? The console isn't "done" yet, and has more games coming, plus a potential new Wii owner would have a boatload of games to choose from.

Your opinions, please! Thank you!

I wouldn't buy a new wii unless it's old stock. They lack gamecube playability and controller ports. If you can find a new backwards compatible gamecube It may be worth a shot. In all reality you are probabaly better off getting a sweet deal off craigslist that come w/lots fo games and multiple controllers.

I would look for a lot with a charging station and motion controls. Make sure it has gamecube ports as well.

I think many expect the Wii to go down to $99.99 this year in conjunction with the Wii U launch. So keep that in mind if it's still $150 come the end of September. Always sucks to buy something only to experience a significant price drop shortly afterwards. Might be some even better deals if you wait until Black Friday sales.

As for the GameCube issue, while I'm glad my Wii has GCN compatibility, I really haven't used GCN controllers that much with Wii software. About all that comes to mind that I absolutely must use my WaveBird for on it when I play has been Mario Kart Wii and Virtual Console N64 downloads that I thought just didn't play very well with a Classic Controller. It's nice to have, but I'm not sure if it's enough of a reason to switch gears to buying a used console or hunting down a NIB backwards compatible console that quite possibly will be a futile search or an expensive one if you're buying it online from someone that knows it's more desirable and out of stock everywhere.

If he plans to keep his GameCube around, particularly if he happens to already have the pricey component cables for it, I think one could pretty easily get by without GCN compatibility. It's nice to have and I'm glad mine has it, but I think the Classic Controller Pro suffices for most actual Wii uses. So if I were you, I wouldn't waste much effort it in beyond visiting a few stores like K-Mart if you have any around you where old electronics seem to linger for extended periods of time (Easy way to tell if it's GCN compatible is if the Wii lettering on the console is oriented vertically... if it's horizonal it's the redesign that lacks it).

As for your dislike of motion, there's a treasure trove of traditional gaming on here that doesn't use it or barely uses it (Such as NSMBWii that uses it for a couple of secondary functions... 99% of the time you have the same set of controls as SMB had back in 1985). I think you'll find much to love on here. It's the perfect time to become a Wii owner since many of the desirable games can finally be had for $20-$30 new unlike for most of its life where games maintained their $50 price point for years on end.

Edited by Atariboy

GREAT input thus far, everyone. I didn't even know there WAS a new Wii. I saw that in Gamestop (online) and wondered about it. I'm glad you guys told me it isn't backward compatible. But, I'm not sure that will be an issue, even though I probably should get a verticle Wii and buy even MORE games for it. I could have quite the library between the 'cube games and Wii games. Does anyone know how much longer Nintendo plans to make games for it?

Sorry for the double post, but...

I haven't bought a new console at launch since the DS came into being at my local Gamestop. Years before that, it was a Genesis console packed in with Starflight (ah, what sweet, sweet gaming memories!). Lately, since homeownership and "life" has changed my young man "ah hell, I can buy that, I'll borrow from Peter to pay Paul!" habits of gaming to more of a "wait and see" perspective. From a gaming perspective, I don't need the "latest greatest" anymore to have a wonderful gaming experience. I'm perfectly happy playing Ms. Pac-Man on my old Woody than a rousing game of Skyrim or whatever.

That being said, and slightly off topic now back on topic, the Wii has come down quite a bit. If they are planning on releasing the Wii-U in November, when would the next price drop be for the Wii? And I didn't want to belabor the obvious by saying, "November"...sometimes they drop the price earlier when a release date is announced to clear stock. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know how much longer Nintendo plans to make games for it?

The Wii is essentially dead where new retail releases are concerned. Last one that has me even midly interested is the Kirby compilation and I think that some niche JRPG has just been released that some diehard fans were excited about.

The prospects of anything exciting coming out in 2013 seems fairly remote, although I still hold out some hope that they'll pick up some previously unreleased games in North America next year just to have something new out there to satisfy the marketplace ala what they just did with Pikmin 2 (I want the two Fatal Frame games if they're listening).

Even the shovelware lineup seems all but dead.

That being said, and slightly off topic now back on topic, the Wii has come down quite a bit. If they are planning on releasing the Wii-U in November, when would the next price drop be for the Wii? And I didn't want to belabor the obvious by saying, "November"...sometimes they drop the price earlier when a release date is announced to clear stock. Any thoughts?

Nothing is known about any possible price drops. It's just what some expect given past history. A price drop away from $150 this Fall seems likely. And investing into releasing a cheaper redesign of it less than a year ago seems to back up that belief.

But 2013 could still roll around with the system priced at $150. We simply just don't know.

Edited by Atariboy

Search your local Craigslist offerings. Chances are you will be able to find a barely used system, complete with the box and accessories, for very little. The Wii is a great system definitely worth trying out. I've been getting a ton of use out of mine recently. However, like many, I sort of pushed it aside for the first five years it was available. I kind of regret that now, because I'm seeing that even with all the shovelware, it's still a pretty kick-ass system.

• Like 1

I guess i wasn't the only one to not take the plunge earlier in the system's availablility. I have seen some awesome deals for Wii's on Craig's list...so all I need do now is wait and gather up the funds to purchase one. Thanks to all for their advice.

I'm not a wii fan, but I'm currently on quite a bit of a wii kick. It was/is pretty good hardware, even if few game designers used it for titles that appealed to me. There is a fair bit of fun to be had on this sytem, but I've had to look harder than I'm used to to find it.

Check target for 'wiimote plus with game' bundles--I grabbed one for $15. Now that's a bargain. Many used/complete titles for $5 or less, and even a few new ones in that range. Xenoblade and Last Story are finally out, and I'm still discovering a few solid (but not spotless) under-the-radar gems on the system. The AAA games aren't really my thing, and the crapware certainly isn't, but there is still fun to be had, and I can't see the system/games getting too much less expensive for a good while. I say get one before gamestop throws out all the game cases.

It's pretty much true that the system is dead even though the new nintendo hasn't come out yet. This seems to be the trend these days.

I'm just wondering how long stores such as Gamestop will continue to sell Wii games. I went down to my local Gamestop store the other day to poke around...I hadn't been in there in probably a year's time since Irene flooded the area. They STILL have one unit for Gamecube games...that blew me away. I thought they'd all be gone, but there they were. I would imagine for a few years to come, they'll continue to sell Wii games at reduced prices. My other thoughts are that since the Wii-U will be backward compatible, perhapes the price on the Wii games won't go down that far, for the more popular titles, in any event. What do you all think about the availability (in retail stores) of Wii games and accessories?

Wii games are not going away. They will still sell them in stores, well at least the top selling titles anyhow. It don't matter a whole lot because you will be able to get whetever you want online regardless. They probably wont be making to many more wii games unless the demand is there. Odds are they have enough already made to last awhile and they will eventually clearance them out when the other consoles take over full force.

I can still go in and buy ds games even though the 3ds has been out awhile.

it's a great time to get a used wii! They are routinely going for under 100 dollars on craigslist. I second soft modding your wii. I use Wiimc to watch videos from a flash drive and there are some great emulators for the Wii!!! I was playing Atari 800 Krazy shootout last night!! I have a collection of Gamecube games, but havent played any in ages. I still think Gamecube capability is important because IMo nothing beats a wavebird for goldeneye, i assume the same would be true for the Modern Warfare games, but I dont have the Wii versions. Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are two other essentials that will keep you busy for awhile, but Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart and Rayman origins are also top notch!!!

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one example to get a Wii with the Gamecube controller ports. Think of other discoveries that might get lost.

Wii Sky Crawlers + Gamecube/PSX Controller Adapter + PS1 Flightstick SCPH-1110

http://www.racketboy...=603494#p603494

82202.jpg

Thanks for posting about that. I have 2 of those big bastard controllers, and just LOVE 'EM on the few PS1 games that support it. I'm intrigued that they work on Wii.

I'm sorta-just getting into the Wii, now that it's almost a retro system. When you have a collection of consoles (this means more games than you can possibly ever have time for) I never see the point in rushing out to get the latest stuff.

I was planning on getting the el-cheapo (current model), but now you guys have me convinced I want the old one. I'd like a N.O.S. system, because I keep my stuff generally like new, and as you all know, the general public doesn't. Perhaps a like-new CIB. The trouble is, I want the latest one with the Wii Motion Plus built into the Wiimote(s). I don't really know what that is, except the late model consoles have it built-in.

Somebody here on the forum sold a like-new CIB red New Super Mario Bros. model, and I'm kind of sorry I didn't jump on it. After looking at the prices of those on Ebay, I'm a bit discouraged. I'm not so concerned with the collectability of the red console (although it's really cool), because I'm going to open it and play it. It comes with 2 games I really want - Wii Sports and New Super Mario Bros. However, I'm disappointed that they don't come with actual cases - just what appears to be some cardboard sleeves.

I'm thinking of trying to find a NOS/CIB bundle like the Mario Kart bundle. By shopping for a bundle, then I'll have an assurance that I get the newest version of the Wiimote, right?

This is no huge consideration, but I'd appreciate not having to buy any more additional stuff like new Wiimotes, etc.

Anyone play Battalion Wars 2?

edit: Just bought these games from AA user Austin, so now I'm committed to finding a Wii!

Punch-Out!!

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Pack

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

I've seen videos for Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I want it!

Edited by wood_jl

The trouble is, I want the latest one with the Wii Motion Plus built into the Wiimote(s). I don't really know what that is, except the late model consoles have it built-in.

Normally how that works is you have a standard Wii-mote, with an attachment that provides the Wii-motion Plus capability. You also have later model controllers with the Motion Plus built in. Some bundles came with the two-for-one deal on the controllers (controller + motion plus), although I'm not sure if any came with the motion plus internalized.

As far as what it actually does, it basically makes the controller motions more accurate. I don't recall if normal games are improved by it at all, but certain later games like Zelda: Skyward Sword require it.

I'm sure any new Wii bought today will come with a Wiimote with integrated Motion Plus functionality.

I've seen videos for Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I want it!

My advice is to wait though. It's very similar to the first game and there's always that chance you might actually not enjoy it when you get to it.

And it's bound to join the Nintendo Selects lineup which is another benefit to waiting. It's still a $50 game these days I think unless you find a sale or score a cheap used copy.

I have some Wii irons in the fire, on Ebay.

Damn, the Wiimotes are EXPENSIVE!!!!! We're talking (full retail, here) about $35 for the Wiimote Plus and $15 for the Nunchuck, plus tax!!!! I never paid attention, before.

Interestingly, you can get the poorly-rated title Flingsmash.......

512hNQiVitL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

....which includes a black Wiimote Plus, for $10 less than the Wiimote plus cost, by itself!

I never paid much attention to the Wii before.

I don't know how many hundreds or thousands of titles there are for the Wii, but there are MANY solid titles in the lineup! Many are quite cheap.

Other than Wii sports (and possibly Monkey Ball), I'm not terribly interested in games that gimmick-out the motion controls. The only one I have tried (at someone else's house, long ago) is the pack-in Wii sports, and It's great. Any opinions on these titles, which I'm guessing are similar:

(1) Wii Sports Resort

(2) Wii Play

I'm really glad I didn't buy one of the new models without the Gamecube ports, and I was really thinking about it lately, anticipating another price drop with the Wii U coming out. Turns out if you want a CIB or NIB Wii **with** the ports, prices have already bottomed out, and are on the rise. TIME TO BUY, NOW!!!!!!

One thing that's irritating is that as is the case with the Xbox 360 having a derivative name of the Xbox, searches for merchandise for the earlier console are clouded up with hits for the newer console! I can't believe how many people are posting Wii Us that they don't even have. They're putting pictures of their pre-order slips (from Walmart, etc) and then asking $700 for merchandise they do not possess. Between tons of people doing that, and lots of listings for the new/inferior original Wii, it takes considerable time to wade through all the listings, trying to find the old Gamecube-ported model.

As I said, I haven't followed the Wii at all, but with no Gamecube ports, you can't even plug in the Nintendo-branded official Wii-sanctioned Classic Controller? Wow.