IGNORED

Rarity of a Memorex VIS?

Hey, the rarest console you own thread made me wonder- just how rare are Memorex VIS's? I have one in perfect shape with several "games", and almost never see them elsewhere, not even on Ebay. There's next to nothing on them online, and even lesser collector demand. Yet the system isn't even in the top 20 on the Holy Grails of Hardware list put together by this site: http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/blog/?p=437

So, just how rare are these?

I think it deserves to be on that list, but he knows his consoles for sure:) I have one too with a bunch of software and the "Save-it" card or something like that. The controllers (which are god awful) have gone for $100 in the past, but sold recently for $10. I've seen a system go for like $60 on ebay a few years back, but there was one on ebay last year that was promoted by gamesniped that went for $250+ (possibly $350). So I'm not really sure of the value, but rarity-wise, I'd say any system that only shows up on ebay once a year approximately is extremely rare.

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

The VIS is certainly a rare piece. I think I only know 1 other person that has one, or at least will admit to owning one!

I wouldn't put it on the grails list though as there's really not much interest in owning one. It has an interesting story, being one of the first to run a Microsoft OS, but the software for it is just all garbage and it seems to fall more into the area of being an educational system which is usually a death blow for any serious collector interest.

I'm shocked to see price history of $250+. I think I paid $50 for mine with 30 some odd boxed titles. That was a long time ago, but it blows me away to see that it's actually appreciated some!

• 6 months later...

Ahhhh the VIS. The original XBOX.

Let's face it, the first XBOX was based on PC hardware and so was the VIS, it just wasn't from Microsoft.

I think there was only 25 or so mediocre titles.

While it's not common by any means, I'm not so sure it's super rare... there's a website selling new ones with a bunch of titles for only $279. :rolling:

If it had sold for that new it might have had a chance.

Like the CDTV, it was just too underpowered and too expensive.

I think the biggest flaw was the single speed CD-ROM drive..

I personally have 24 titles for mine, though, obviously, quite a few more were made (some titles also obviously work on a regular PC with CD-ROM drive as well). Among the system's many flaws are indeed its speed. It was neat technology for the brief time it was released, but the dated CPU (even for the time) paired with the single speed CD-ROM kill the thing. It's really nothing more than a curiosity at this point.