New IDE/Compact Flash interface for ADAM

jblenkle

ld (8004),a ; patch 05h to 01h.

Should read:

ld (8004H),a ; patch 05h to 01h.

jmp 2000H	    ; call code in 24K intrinsic RAM

Should read:

jp 2000H	    ; call code in 24K intrinsic RAM

Can you tell I've been writing 680x and 6502 code? :)

Edited by JamesD

jmp 8002h; call high RAM code

Should read:

jp 8002h; call high RAM code

out (03h),09h ; Select intrinsic RAM in upper bank and OS7/24K intrinsic RAM in lower bank

should be:

ld a,09h
out (03h),a ; Select intrinsic RAM in upper bank and OS7/24K intrinsic RAM in lower bank

BTW, I said to heck with Zmac and used Tasm since that's what I've been using for every other platform.

I hope this works.

IDEBootCart2.zip

That's just a raw binary of the cart ROM.

Since the EPROM *should* have to init EOS, I thought there would be a chance it would work just by patching the memory map settings.

I have only looked through a little of the EPROM disassembly; if the EPROM doesn't init EOS the same as in the Adam tech docs, then it may not work.

The EPROM doesn't strobe EOS Enable so that could be an issue. (I just checked that this morning)

Edited by JamesD

Ok then, way above my level of comprehension, so what you need right now is for someone to copy the IDEbootcart2 rom image to an AtariMax MultiCart and test out on a real ADAM with IDE Card and Drive? If that's the case, time to backup the IDE CF Card before I dive in head first!

• Like 1

Ok then, way above my level of comprehension, so what you need right now is for someone to copy the IDEbootcart2 rom image to an AtariMax MultiCart and test out on a real ADAM with IDE Card and Drive? If that's the case, time to backup the IDE CF Card before I dive in head first!

LOL, the technical stuff is a bit deep for most people.

Yeah, that's pretty much what needs to happen.

It shouldn't erase your CF card since only one byte of the original driver is modified and that's well before the disk access code.

But then it's never a bad idea to make a backup and I'd hate to see you lose anything.

I copied the IDEbootcart2.rom file to my AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart and proceeded to try it out, but to no avail. The AtariMax cart responded with a "Could not identify file" error message which means that this file is not in the proper rom format as far as I understand.

I checked the rom image file with a HEX editor and found that the first two addresses are: 3E 09 , for a rom file shouldn't this be either 55 AA (use the CV BIOS/Title screen) or AA 55 (bypass the CV Title Screen and I think the CV BIOS)?

Tried out the new rom image and sorry to say... with no luck. The AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart does recognize the file as a rom image, but after selecting it, the screen goes all black and then locks up the system until either the Computer Reset or the AtariMax Cart Reset followed by pressing the Cartridge Reset buttons are pressed.

Shoddy workmanship on my part. It was related to the previous bug.

I was trying to get the assembler to do something assemblers never do just to save a few minutes worth of hand calculations of addresses.

Even with the fix I've made I think I need to combine my code with the initial code in the EPROM that copies it to RAM.

That will skip several memory moves and there will be less to go wrong.

MESS appears to be out as a debugging platform since it rejects every set of ADAM ROMs I've thrown at it. I know I had an older version working fine.

ADAMEm is useless without a bootable hard disk file and doesn't seem to have a debugger.

So I'm open for suggestions on an ADAM emulator with a debugger and I could use some sort of hard disk image.

Geoff Oltmans once told me there's a debugger in ADAMEm.

Just my two cents. ;)

I'll look through the docs again. I wasn't specifically looking for that when I was reading them and probably missed it.

I really didn't need to look through the docs to fix what I found this morning though.

Setting the memory config with the wrong port is never going to work.

I must have been really tired or just not paying attention when I wrote that. Way too many stupid mistakes.

I redid it this morning and it writes something to the screen now. Not what I expected though.

<edit>

No mention of a debugger in the ADAMEm docs I'm looking at.

Edited by JamesD

I'll look through the docs again. I wasn't specifically looking for that when I was reading them and probably missed it.

I deleted my AtariAge private conversation with Geoff a while ago, but if memory serves me right, he told me there's a command line option to activate the debugger.

On the emulator this version draws something to the screen so the EPROM code is actually being executed.

I expected a copyright message but it looks like it just clears the bar on the top of the Smartwriter screen.

Maybe the text isn't visible from the emulator due to a difference in how it starts up?

Without an IDE drive image or debugger there's not much I can do so here is the updated rom.

IDEBootCart2.zip

NIAD, thanks for testing and I appreciate your patience.

One added benefit is that this version should also be smaller than the previous versions.

Now if I can just get a working Adam. I'm bidding on a "working" console on ebay. Fingers crossed.

I checked for cold solder joints on my Adam and the bottom of the CPU board has a crappy solder mask job near the video chip.

I might be able to get it to work but I'll have to check everywhere for shorts.

You are correct that ADAMem does not contain a debugger and the only hope, that I can think of, for a complete ADAM emulator with all the bells and whistles probably lies in the BlueMSX team adding support for the ADAM in their emulator like they suggested was a possibility a number of years ago. Steve Pitman was also considering writing his own ADAM emulator from scratch due to the many limitations he ran up against in writing Virtual ADAM, but this seems unlikely as well. I guess the ADAM will remain the bastard-child of the retro-computer and emulator scene.

I haven't kept up with MESS in sometime now, but the last version I recall that the ADAM emulation wasn't broken is v0.140 (I use this one) or v0.141.

I'll setup ADAMem SDL and use it to make an IDE Hard Drive image file for you. I'll need a little time to figure it out, but will get'er done for you. At least we have the IDE EXP.ROM boot prom image already thanks to Geoff.

I'll test out the new rom image and let you know what I find.

Glad you mentioned THAT Memory Console, I was going to try to win it as I do need a backup unit, but will stand down now for the greater good! Word to the wise, if you get it, test it out in steps even though the seller states that it's been tested and works... as I'm sure you know, you can't always trust the written word. I would unplug the two Data Drive cables from their pin connectors, don't attach the Keyboard, plug Printer and TV cable in and then power up. If SmartWRITER comes up then press Cartridge Reset to see if the CV BIOS screen is display. If all is good, power down, attach keyboard, power on and then test that the keyboard is working. If all is good, power down and insert a CV cart and power on to test. If all is good, power down and reconnect the Data Drive cables being aware that they connect to connectors 1A (9 pin) and 1B (8 pin) with the small slits in the orangish/brown connector facing the front of the Memory Console (a lot of people connect these wrong or miss a pin), then power on and test. Just the way I have always done things.

As far as formatting and partitioning code, I don't think that would be a real necessity seeing as the IDE Device/HardDrive Menu Control Program resides on the IDE device and is instantly loaded once the IDE Boot Driver has loaded. I'll have to send you a copy of this meu program as well seeing that it's vastly updated (think v3.9) over the one I sent you (v2.3) many posts ago.

Thanks for dedication and all your hard work.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e3rnNJGJuHo

As you can probably tell from the video, the new IDE Boot Cart 2 rom file WORKS from the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart!!! I tested by loading a wide range of ADAM software that I have previously configured on my CF Card as well as booting into T-DOS (a tremendous CP/M replacement O.S.). Of course, I will have to continue testing, especially writing to the CF Card, but right now I don't see their being any issues.

It is a joy not to have to boot a Disk or DDP anymore in order to install the driver and a nice side effect of the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart is that the last selected rom file, in this case the IDE Boot Cart 2 rom image, remains the default cart until the reset button on the cart is pressed... I think even after power down, but will have to double check as I didn't think of this at the time.

• Like 1

I'm out of my league with the hardware aspects of the ADAM computer, but couldn't the boot sequence for the IDE CF setup be done via a game cartridge? All inner components of the ADAM are available to any cartridge plugged into the cartridge port, are they not?

As you can probably tell from the video, the new IDE Boot Cart 2 rom file WORKS from the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart!!! I tested by loading a wide range of ADAM software that I have previously configured on my CF Card as well as booting into T-DOS (a tremendous CP/M replacement O.S.). Of course, I will have to continue testing, especially writing to the CF Card, but right now I don't see their being any issues.

It is a joy not to have to boot a Disk or DDP anymore in order to install the driver and a nice side effect of the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart is that the last selected rom file, in this case the IDE Boot Cart 2 rom image, remains the default cart until the reset button on the cart is pressed... I think even after power down, but will have to double check as I didn't think of this at the time.

My work is done. ;)

• Like 1

As you can probably tell from the video, the new IDE Boot Cart 2 rom file WORKS from the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart!!!

I thought it was going to be one of those "You idiots" videos. :D

When I saw the ADAM logo and copyright come up on the screen I had a hunch it would work.

I tested by loading a wide range of ADAM software that I have previously configured on my CF Card as well as booting into T-DOS (a tremendous CP/M replacement O.S.). Of course, I will have to continue testing, especially writing to the CF Card, but right now I don't see their being any issues.

I knew I bought the Ultimate SD Cart for a reason.

You can all send me beer now... or take up a collection and buy me an IDE card.

That last one is probably wishful thinking given the number of Adams out there. :grin: