IGNORED

New IDE/Compact Flash interface for ADAM

jblenkle

2 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

Awesome! Let us know if you make any discoveries. I would really love to see an update to the menu and drive select intetface. I still have my CF card rig going strong. 

Not to say never, but it’s unlikely to happen with the advent of the ADE and VDD SD Drives.

Seeing as the ADAM’s EOS isn’t finicky about disk image sizes and William Hicks has made available a number of patched CP/M disk image volumes that allow Hard Drive sized storage, these have been become the way to go without some of the limitations of the Hard Drive driver.

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Not to say never, but it’s unlikely to happen with the advent of the ADE and VDD SD Drives.

So yeah, I’ve heard bits and pieces of these, and I know they’re on FB. But is there an AtariAge post to either of these? It would be great if there was a clear product page with availability, functionality, and pricing.

I’ve seen various posts on FB but it’s never been extremely clear.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:17 AM, phattyboombatty said:

So yeah, I’ve heard bits and pieces of these, and I know they’re on FB. But is there an AtariAge post to either of these? It would be great if there was a clear product page with availability, functionality, and pricing.

Nothing much on AtariAge for the ADE. I don't recommend the VDD because it's now outdated and pretty limited on what it can do compared to the ADE.

ADE project GitHub page by Sean Myers
https://github.com/Kalidomra/AdamNet-Drive-Emulator

VDD info
http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamsupplies.html

Products by John Lundy on Facebook. This includes ADE Pro Plus, ADE Internal, ADE Lite, and others.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/115531017844/permalink/10159504125152845

ADE operators guide by John Lundy
https://www.facebook.com/download/866695534047503/ADE Operators Guide_B.pdf

• Thanks 1

I agree that the SD card solution makes the most sense but i am a sucker for a vintage looking setup.  I have 2 Adams setup; 1 stand alone and the other is a colecovision with expansion module 3.  Both of my Adams have a physical drive and a hard drive. I also have an ADE that I can swap between both of them for easier loading.  The stand alone is using Bob's IDE controller card with a MI physical hard drive as MASTER and IOMEGA ZIP 100 as slave.  The other Adam is using Bobs IDE controller but uses the CF cards that I have housed in a vintage VALUESTOR hard drive enclosure for a more authentic look..

I just want to have a functional 'vintage' adam similar to what would have been available back in the day

On 10/22/2021 at 12:17 AM, phattyboombatty said:

While the “large” disk images files for EOS and CP/M were posted about/to the Coleco ADAM Facebook page in their entirety with short  text files that explain pretty much all one needs to know to use them, they have all been posted to the www.adamarchive.org as well.

AtariAge and FB are not the ideal place to post stuff like this as the threads usually always tend to get buried by numerous other threads over time… unless someone very familiar with them bump them from time to time with new information or just to say “look at this”.

With the winter months upon us, especially us Northerners, I’m going to try to dedicate a lot of time to helping Milli out with the ADAM Archive. With the current development of FujiNet for the ADAM, it’s even more incentive to get moving.

7 hours ago, NIAD said:

“large” disk images files 

about/to 

usually always

Okay, so “no”. 

I just want to know about this ADE piece of hardware, and any superseding disk drive alternatives to the CF card rig. 

Thanks for your response Jim, but can anyone just provide a clear price point and place to purchase while minimizing the use of acronyms?

Edit: Thanks @Tekman. Somehow skipped over your post.

Edited by phattyboombatty

On 4/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, phattyboombatty said:

I would love to learn how to use TDOS to change partitions and load ROMs directly from that interface.

Simply boot into the IDE HD Menu Software and press the WILDCARD key to enter T-DOS. There are 4 partitions all pre-configured that you can change between just like you do in MS-DOS by entering:

• A: a 2MB partition with all the T-DOS programs and instruction files
  • B: an empty 7.5Mb partition
  • C: an empty 7.5Mb partition
  • D: an empty 8.5Mb partition

There were means to load rom image files in CP/M (and probably T-DOS) for years, but Milli really simplified the process with the MakeRROM.COM MS-DOS conversion program that will convert 32K or smaller rom image files to CP/M and T-DOS compatible COM files.  MakeRROM is attached to this post.

I would like to investigate the SD card options as well. I’ve briefly checked them out on Facebook. How do the SD card hardware options compare to the IDE card rig? @NIAD what software do you use to parse the Adam partitions and software from within Windows?

Thankfully Tekman chimed in with a complete list and links to all his hardware products and more.

It would be nice to have TDOS function as the overall OS to control the system. I do not like using the EOS selection menu. It could use some improvements toward better overall functionality.

Well, it a simple matter of pressing the WILDCARD key in the IDE HD Menu program and then you are in T-DOS... which is very similar to using MS-DOS. I know some BITD setup their systems to boot directly into T-DOS, but I've never looked into this or have seen information on how to do so.

What software do you use to parse the Adam partitions and software from within Windows?

I used Marcel de Kogels' ADAMem Manager Frontend, Geoff Oltmans' ADAMem SDL v1.81 or v2.xx beta, Eric Pearson's ADAM Image Manager v1.1.1.0 and HDDRawCopy that was provided by MicroFox with the IDE Package. Sometimes I still use the Steve Pitman's Virtual ADAM package, but not as much anymore.

5 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

Thanks for your response Jim, but can anyone just provide a clear price point and place to purchase while minimizing the use of acronyms?

Well, unfortunately, most of my time spent on AtariAge is on a cell phone so it's not possible to answer questions in the manner that I would like too.

MakeRROM (2017) (MilliV).zip ADAM Image Manager v1.1.1.0 (2019) (Eric Pearson).zip ADAMEm Manager v1.1 (1999) (Marcel de Kogel).zip ADAMem SDL v2.0a Beta (2018) (Geoff Oltmans).zip 100Mb Dual CF Card ReadMeDOC by N.I.A.D.rtf

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, phattyboombatty said:

I would love to learn how to use TDOS to change partitions and load ROMs directly from that interface. 

I would like to investigate the SD card options as well. I’ve briefly checked them out on Facebook. How do the SD card hardware options compare to the IDE card rig? 

It would be nice to have TDOS function as the overall OS to control the system. I do not like using the EOS selection menu. It could use some improvements toward better overall functionality. 

@NIAD what software do you use to parse the Adam partitions and software from within Windows?

You can BOOt directly into TDOS on power up by using the SETBOOT. COM command..  Use the 'wild card' key to boot TDOS then type SETBOOT and select 1.. Every time you turn on the Adam and launch the hard drive it will by pass the EOS hard drive menu and go right into TDOS.. I have my system setup likethis and it boots right into 80 column 

You can get to the hard drive menu at any time by using the EOS. COM command 

Edited by rietveld
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

You can BOOt directly into TDOS on power up by using the SETBOOT. COM command..  Use the 'wild card' key to boot TDOS then type SETBOOT and select 1.. Every time you turn on the Adam and launch the hard drive it will by pass the EOS hard drive menu and go right into TDOS.. I have my system setup likethis and it boots right into 80 column 

You can get to the hard drive menu at any time by using the EOS. COM command 

Thank you!! I don't know if this was documented anywhere else, but this is the first I've heard of it. Tested and working! My Adam feels like a real computer now.

Is there a help file that lists what each command file executes?

Edited by phattyboombatty

• 4 months later...