IGNORED

SHIPPED: Atari 2600 Red Sea Crossing

Atari4You

The label, manual, etc all look great, very imaginative. However, I just really want something that looks like the original. Would it be a pain to just ship the labels loose with my cart and I will find someone who can print me up a repro-style label?

While I agree that the packaging is significantly different from that of the the real version, doing what you propose here is not enough if you really want your cart to look real. Reason being it will be housed in an Atari style cartridge case, and the original needs to be housed in an Apollo style cartridge case.

That's why I prefer CPUWIZ's creations. He is just as particular as I am and sets the bar so high, that you need an Apollo Space Mission Rocket to even approach it.

• Like 1

I have received a ton of PM's for wanting to acquire the box, manual and the coloring page. I will be sending payment information for the box via PM to those who have paid for the game on Monday, October 29th. I still have a few of the carts left if interested. If you are interested and have not paid for the cart, please PM and I will follow-up with you.

Cart production is going ok....we had a delay because of a certain part for the cart. Thanks for your patience.

While I agree that the packaging is significantly different from that of the the real version, doing what you propose here is not enough if you really want your cart to look real. Reason being it will be housed in an Atari style cartridge case, and the original needs to be housed in an Apollo style cartridge case.

That's why I prefer CPUWIZ's creations. He is just as particular as I am and sets the bar so high, that you need an Apollo Space Mission Rocket to even approach it.

He is trying to find a solution to get what he thought he was already paying for. He expected to get as close as reasonably possible to owning Red Sea Crossing with original label which would feel complete by itself, fill a gap in his collection, and purchasing the rest would feel completely optional. Now this new label makes the cart by itself feel incomplete because it is a new set. It makes it feel less optional to purchase the rest. Even if he did purchase the rest it wouldn't be filling a gap in his collection but creating a new one and leaving the old gap empty. He reasonably assumed that it would look like Red Sea Crossing and many customers expressed their desire for it to look that way. Now he realizes that he took the bait and is getting something different than he and others expected. In other words, a bait and switch has occurred and he is trying to find a way to get the bait that he paid for.

He is trying to find a solution to get what he thought he was already paying for. He expected to get as close as reasonably possible to owning Red Sea Crossing with original label which would feel complete by itself, fill a gap in his collection, and purchasing the rest would feel completely optional. Now this new label makes the cart by itself feel incomplete because it is a new set. It makes it feel less optional to purchase the rest. Even if he did purchase the rest it wouldn't be filling a gap in his collection but creating a new one and leaving the old gap empty. He reasonably assumed that it would look like Red Sea Crossing and many customers expressed their desire for it to look that way. Now he realizes that he took the bait and is getting something different than he and others expected. In other words, a bait and switch has occurred and he is trying to find a way to get the bait that he paid for.

I understand what your saying, completely. But I think calling this a bate and switch is a bit extreme! I mean, what would you rather pay for this game; 10 thousand plus, or $50 bucks? I guess my expectations whenever I purchase a proto reproduction cartridge here are much lower then yours? For $50 I really don't expect much. I feel I am paying for the rom data, that's it. Anything else is a bonus really. Spare parts if you will that I will just trash unless the reproduction is perfect. Perfect, in my eyes, which can be different then yours or anyone elses mind you).

Look, when it comes to reproductions, I also am ONLY interested in the carts to look like the real thing (when it exists; such as when it is a copy of a super rare released cartridge) and/or look like it would most likely have looked, (when it does not exist; such as when it is an unreleased proto) As an example, Turbo was released "perfect" in my eyes. original rom data, original Coleco cart case, nice production label as it would most likely have looked had it been released. (and even a bonus enhanced version included).

I admit, this cartridge looks weird. Atari case, fake artwork, etc. But dude, the games data is inside and that is what I am paying for. Upon receiving my copy, the cartridge is cracked open, the label is torn to shreds, the cart board is removed, the eprom is desoldered, plugged into my reader, dumped, and then resoldered into an Apollo donor cartridge shell. And then I dress it up with the proper labels, and wala, I have a ten thousand dollar game for fifty bucks. I mean, what am I missing here?

The guy who bought the game could have chosen NOT to dump the game and NOT to share the data and NOT to make a production for the community to purchase it. It is 100% his right and his choice! So I am thankful as all hell that I am getting the game, period. I am sure it costs him less money, and therefore he recoups more of his loss from the initial purchase of the game, to use regular atari shells, rather then having to hunt down and source apollo shells. It also takes longer too. How can I fault the guy for that?

Again, your expectations are too high, I feel. Borderline greedy perhaps? Just my opinion.

Anyone else?

• Like 7

He is trying to find a solution to get what he thought he was already paying for. He expected to get as close as reasonably possible to owning Red Sea Crossing with original label which would feel complete by itself, fill a gap in his collection, and purchasing the rest would feel completely optional. Now this new label makes the cart by itself feel incomplete because it is a new set.

I paid for the cart with the understanding that the label was undetermined. I voiced my opinion along with others on what it should be, but had no expectation that the input would have any bearing on the end product. Having said that, I am dissapointed, but still glad that I am getting the game. I will just ask for the labels to come loose and I will try to come up with a repro label for an Apollo cart and then make a magnet or something with the new label.

• Like 1

I paid for the cart with the understanding that the label was undetermined. I voiced my opinion along with others on what it should be, but had no expectation that the input would have any bearing on the end product. Having said that, I am dissapointed, but still glad that I am getting the game. I will just ask for the labels to come loose and I will try to come up with a repro label for an Apollo cart and then make a magnet or something with the new label.

I think an option to have loose labels for those who want to mod the cart or use their own labels, would be nice. Possibly even sell the cart with an optional original label as a second option. I did not order one, but I feel that the new label is overly bright and colorful compared to the original. The original red/black label kind of matches the graphics and overall feel of the game.
  • Like 1

I understand what your saying, completely. But I think calling this a bate and switch is a bit extreme! I mean, what would you rather pay for this game; 10 thousand plus, or $50 bucks? I guess my expectations whenever I purchase a proto reproduction cartridge here are much lower then yours? For $50 I really don't expect much. I feel I am paying for the rom data, that's it. Anything else is a bonus really. Spare parts if you will that I will just trash unless the reproduction is perfect. Perfect, in my eyes, which can be different then yours or anyone elses mind you).

You may be right that it was a bit extreme to call it a bait and switch. That is the closest expression I can think of to express it. I'm sorry for using it. I rather pay $50. I think our expectations for a prototype reproduction cartridge are the same but this isn't a prototype.

Look, when it comes to reproductions, I also am ONLY interested in the carts to look like the real thing (when it exists; such as when it is a copy of a super rare released cartridge) and/or look like it would most likely have looked, (when it does not exist; such as when it is an unreleased proto) As an example, Turbo was released "perfect" in my eyes. original rom data, original Coleco cart case, nice production label as it would most likely have looked had it been released. (and even a bonus enhanced version included).

Red Sea Crossing is a super rare released cartridge and not an unreleased proto.

I admit, this cartridge looks weird. Atari case, fake artwork, etc. But dude, the games data is inside and that is what I am paying for. Upon receiving my copy, the cartridge is cracked open, the label is torn to shreds, the cart board is removed, the eprom is desoldered, plugged into my reader, dumped, and then resoldered into an Apollo donor cartridge shell. And then I dress it up with the proper labels, and wala, I have a ten thousand dollar game for fifty bucks. I mean, what am I missing here?

Nothing since you are paying for the cart just to get the ROM but if you were paying for a reproduction to fill a gap in your collection, to have a conversation piece, and to come as close a reasonably possible to owning an actual Red Sea Crossing then you shouldn't have to do what you describe above. It may be free for you but if I choose to make a purchase, I would have to pay someone else for a reproduction label. That's why I asked if he is willing to just sell a board at a discount. Since the box, manual, and coloring sheet are optional and the new label would look incomplete without them then it should also be optional. If it was a reproduction label then the cart would look complete by itself because that is all that has been found of Red Sea Crossing. I'm not just interested in the ROM. I'm interested in a collectible reproduction. The new artwork looks great but it would look lonely without the whole set. It would look incomplete. If it was a reproduction label the a cart would look complete and the rest would look like it is being added to it. With the new label the rest would look like a subtraction from complete if not purchased. When I think of a reproduction, I think more than a ROM. When I think optional extras then I think of a cart that is complete by itself and not just the option to complete a new set.

The guy who bought the game could have chosen NOT to dump the game and NOT to share the data and NOT to make a production for the community to purchase it. It is 100% his right and his choice! So I am thankful as all hell that I am getting the game, period. I am sure it costs him less money, and therefore he recoups more of his loss from the initial purchase of the game, to use regular atari shells, rather then having to hunt down and source apollo shells. It also takes longer too. How can I fault the guy for that?

You are right it is his choice and it is a good thing that he is making the game available. I would feel differently if he produced the set before he accepted payment. Earlier in this thread I asked,"May I have more details on appearance or a pic?" He answered,"We are currently working on the label.....rest assured that it will be a high quality label as I working with some very creative and knowledgable people. Once we have something we like, we will show the pics under this thread. Thanks." That sounds like saying to either pay for a gamble or wait to see what it looks like and potentially miss out. As a potential customer, I just wanted to know if he is selling a reproduction. It isn't unreasonable to want enough information for it to be more than gamble or miss out. People have been waiting years for this to come out. During the auctions people were hoping for a reproduction and there was some discussion that it might not happen because of legal reasons. After the auction this thread was started. There was a discussion in this tread about people's desires for it to look original. I can't hold what he choose to sell against him. It does look fantastic. I just think he should have made it clear earlier that he isn't selling a reproduction of the cart. It would be unreasonable to expect something other than an Atari shell but it isn't unreasonable to expect a reproduction label.

Again, your expectations are too high, I feel. Borderline greedy perhaps? Just my opinion.

Anyone else?

My expectations was for a reproduction label on an Atari shell or just the label and the ROM. That is expecting less than what was created. The store sells reproductions of rare games with REPRODUCTION CARTRIDGE on them for $20. I'm willing to pay $60 for the same thing. I don't think those are high expectations and greedy. I don't think they are any more high or greedy than many people's expectations of E.T. and Pac-Man. I've been patiently waiting for a simple reproduction and I'm a little disappointed that I still have to wait. I'm sorry if I offended anyone for expressing my disappointment. I'm sorry for expressing it as bait and switch. I hope Atari4You does well at selling the set. I hope all the customers are completely satisfied with it and get years of enjoyment from it. I'm just saddened that I have to wait longer to experience the same joy.

For the record, I went with an original design because I am trying to prevent fraud from happening....too many times, other reproduction folks, whom will remain nameless, have made dupes of original rare carts and have passed them off as originals....just trying to protect those who buy originals.

In addition, I never made mention that I would be using the original design for the repros. I reproduced the game because people wanted to have a chance to play it. Sorry if I have disappointed some of you.....I just wanted to release a long-lost game for a great community like this one to enjoy.

• Like 8

Since the box, manual, and coloring sheet are optional and the new label would look incomplete without them then it should also be optional. If it was a reproduction label then the cart would look complete by itself because that is all that has been found of Red Sea Crossing. I'm not just interested in the ROM. I'm interested in a collectible reproduction. The new artwork looks great but it would look lonely without the whole set. It would look incomplete. If it was a reproduction label the a cart would look complete and the rest would look like it is being added to it. With the new label the rest would look like a subtraction from complete if not purchased.

I understand what you mean. The label with the unfinished coloring looks like it comes with a coloring page. I'm considering getting the extras now because of that whereas, if it were just the original label with a box and manual to match, I probably wouldn't

• Like 2

No problem on my end. My expectations as a customer will have been met if the cart arrives and works. My use of the word "disapointed" is relative and could be replaced with "my ultimate satisfaction with require a few additional steps on my part". Now get out there and build those carts!!!

I understand about fraud. Not everyone will know about the repros and may not notice a note on the label and get swindled. When I was a kid, I bought a couple campaign buttons I thought were really old. I didn't even notice the Kleenex '68 note on the side, LOL. I only paid $10, but still felt gypped.

Edited by Miss 2600

For the record, I went with an original design because I am trying to prevent fraud from happening....too many times, other reproduction folks, whom will remain nameless, have made dupes of original rare carts and have passed them off as originals....just trying to protect those who buy originals.

In addition, I never made mention that I would be using the original design for the repros. I reproduced the game because people wanted to have a chance to play it. Sorry if I have disappointed some of you.....I just wanted to release a long-lost game for a great community like this one to enjoy.

I understand your reasoning and I'm sorry if I sound too harsh. I just wish it was made more clear earlier. You never stated that you were selling reproductions but it was a reasonable expectation and assumption. What you created looks great. It just wasn't what I expected.

I like the original design and I think it looks great! If anyone wants a crappy original label, but with REPRODUCTION stamped on it, I'd be glad to accomodate you.

..Al

Fridge magnets with the original label design would be a sweet addition to the shop. Honestly, the history behind this game seems more fascinating to me than actually playing it.
  • Like 1

Honestly, the history behind this game seems more fascinating to me than actually playing it.

Indeed! It's the history and the surprise of discovering things unknown, thought to be lost, or rumored to exist, that make collecting Atari and this hobby in general, so doggone fun!!

PS: Just wait until someone locates the original Dale Evans story cassette and Red Sea coloring book.. :ponder:... :-D

@ Atari4You: Excellent original package design :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That cart will feel a little naked without all that cool stuff to go along with it. I would definitely spring for the package deal ;)