IGNORED

ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)

pboland

This is a very useful service, and I'm just wondering if it's still being offered.

I was wondering if there's any chance some new overlays can be made for the CV Flashback controller, especially now with Byte Knight's upgrade service which gives the potential to add more ROMs to the system. However, the original CV controllers are still superior so I might get a pair of those for myself (they work with the upgraded FB, not the non-modified FB though).

This is a very useful service, and I'm just wondering if it's still being offered.

Yes, this is still offered. However the shipping charges have went up a little. For anyone interested please PM me.

I was wondering if there's any chance some new overlays can be made for the CV Flashback controller, especially now with Byte Knight's upgrade service which gives the potential to add more ROMs to the system. However, the original CV controllers are still superior so I might get a pair of those for myself (they work with the upgraded FB, not the non-modified FB though).

I've toyed with the idea of making flashback specific overlays (They are slightly smaller then the originals), but in the end I don't think I'd sell enough for the effort involved. If there is some kind of ground swell for Flashback overlays, I will most certainly look into it again. I just know there is no more CV flashbacks being produced by Atgames.

I've toyed with the idea of making flashback specific overlays (They are slightly smaller then the originals), but in the end I don't think I'd sell enough for the effort involved. If there is some kind of ground swell for Flashback overlays, I will most certainly look into it again. I just know there is no more CV flashbacks being produced by Atgames.

I'm in Canada and I had purchased mine over a week ago at the local classic games shop. They had a few of these CV FBs brand new, along with different Retron models. Maybe they acquired some very old CV FB stock that was sitting around after ATGames stopped producing them.

If it doesn't make sense for you to produce new overlays, then I wonder if someone can put up a site where we can print some crude overlays ourselves, using a webpage that prints a template (to actual size) for the specific controller - original CV or Flashback CV.

• 4 months later...

I'm in Canada and I had purchased mine over a week ago at the local classic games shop. They had a few of these CV FBs brand new, along with different Retron models. Maybe they acquired some very old CV FB stock that was sitting around after ATGames stopped producing them.

If it doesn't make sense for you to produce new overlays, then I wonder if someone can put up a site where we can print some crude overlays ourselves, using a webpage that prints a template (to actual size) for the specific controller - original CV or Flashback CV.

I know this be old, but I too am looking at this thread and like what I see. If you search google images, you will find overlay scans, but they are not the greatest quality. If you are looking for Colecovision full size ones, it's not an easy job, and am still considering purchasing some done right here... The scan's I find have hard to read art and some are a little worn looking. If I were to spend all the time making some without good art, I would probably just make custom ones and have fun with it, since they will never be as good as what the OP is offering.

• 5 weeks later...

Did all Colecovision games that came with overlays come with 2 overlays or just one? I have Spy Hunter, Mousetrap and War Games but only have one overlay for each. I have zero Super Action Controller overlays for SpyHunter. I have owned Spy Hunter and Mouse Trap since I was a kid. I think both originally had two. Any help?

Did all Colecovision games that came with overlays come with 2 overlays or just one? I have Spy Hunter, Mousetrap and War Games but only have one overlay for each. I have zero Super Action Controller overlays for SpyHunter. I have owned Spy Hunter and Mouse Trap since I was a kid. I think both originally had two. Any help?

All those games have 2 overlays each. The Spy Hunter has 2 of each regular and super action.

There are some games that only came with one though I just didn't feel like looking in each box.

• 1 year later...

Hello pboland, and best wishes for 2019,
I am interested in overlays,
It's always possible ?
Thank you

I bought a bunch of new overlays from pboland a few months back and so I'm sure he can accommodate you. They were of the usual very high quality and I cannot recommend them enough.

I bought a bunch of new overlays from pboland a few months back and so I'm sure he can accommodate you. They were of the usual very high quality and I cannot recommend them enough.

Thank you for the recommendations, I wish have all my cartridges with its overlays, but it seems to me that it is not possible for the overlays of the super action controller,
but it is already good for the normal controller. :)
Edited by ricky

Thank you for the recommendations, I wish have all my cartridges with its overlays, but it seems to me that it is not possible for the overlays of the super action controller,
but it is already good for the normal controller. :)

He does have a range of overlays for the super action controllers. I bought some and they are awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

If more news, does that mean that overlays are no longer done ?

It would be nice to have a straightforward answer.

He's probably not checking here. I believe you can just PM him with what you want. However, the last I heard he was selling them for $2 per single overlay ($4 per pair). He does not sell the sets anymore with the collector's packaging.

He's probably not checking here. I believe you can just PM him with what you want. However, the last I heard he was selling them for $2 per single overlay ($4 per pair). He does not sell the sets anymore with the collector's packaging.

thanks for the information, so I will contact him privately.

• 7 months later...
On 9/12/2012 at 11:05 PM, pboland said:

After extensive research and testing (and money), I've finally came up with a good way to manufacture controller overlays. These new overlays have a very similar look and feel to the originals.

These are not just simple scans and just printed back out. Like my cart labels, I've taken the time to clean-up/redraw the artwork of each overlay.

The overlays are reverse color laser printed on to high quality transparency film. Then a thin layer of white laminate is applied to the back side of the transparency. This laminate does two things. First, it's used as the "white" coloring for the overlays and Two, the laminate adds protection to the image of the overlay. These overlays are 100% plastic, no paper or paint is used to manufacture them.

The overlays are then cut by hand using metal straight edge and exacto knife. The four main corners of the overlay are then 1/4" round die cut to make it easier to slide the overlay in and out of the controller.

I have a total of twenty different game overlays available. Eight of which I need to give a big thanks to Piexlboy for allowing me to manufacture his eight homebrew overlays that he created. Here's the list:

Piexlboy homebrew overlays:

- Aquattack

- Astro Invader

- Boulder Dash

- CV Drum

- Gateway to Apshai

- Miner 2049er

- Quest for Quintana Roo

- Spectar

post-9874-0-92240300-1347505090_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-22967600-1347505110_thumb.jpg

ColecoVision overlays:

- 2010 (modified slightly)

- Blackjack Poker

- CPK Picture Show

- Dam Busters

- Dr Suess

- Facemaker (modified slightly)

- Fortune Builder

- Mouse Trap

- Smurf Paint 'n' Play

- Spy Hunter

- War Games

- War Room

post-9874-0-55575300-1347505135_thumb.jpg

I'm making these on demand. Normally only takes a couple of days to put an order together.

The charge is $2.00 each (or $4.00 per set of two) + $5.00 shipping (first class mail to USA or Canada). As always I never take money until your order is ready to ship. I take payment via Pay Pal only. PM with your Pay Pal email address and your order if you are interested. If you guys have any questions, please ask.

Hi, do you still have them all ?

• 1 year later...

Phil, I was wondering if you could add more "orphan" overlays to your roster?  I have designed a overlay for people that own the AtariMax Ultimate SD Wafer Drive.  So you can remember where all the keypad buttons to see manuals, boxset ect.

I also am working on one for "TURBO".  

Feel free to use my designs for other customers after...

• 2 months later...