IGNORED

Wii U stuff

xg4bx

Yay. A console with slightly less graphic power than the current generation with a tablet as a joystick.

I read at a few places that it is more powerful, to be fair not by much, and think Batman Arkham City was the main comparison.

I'm actually pretty excited for this launch. For the first time I'm able financially to pre-order a console and play it at launch. I'm primarily buying the console for Zombiu since I've been waiting for a realistic zombie survival game for years, and Aliens Colonial Marines whenever it's released. Rayman Legends is another since I enjoyed Rayman Origins so much and will probably be my second purchase if it's available at launch.

• Like 1

I read at a few places that it is more powerful, to be fair not by much, and think Batman Arkham City was the main comparison.

I'm actually pretty excited for this launch. For the first time I'm able financially to pre-order a console and play it at launch. I'm primarily buying the console for Zombiu since I've been waiting for a realistic zombie survival game for years, and Aliens Colonial Marines whenever it's released. Rayman Legends is another since I enjoyed Rayman Origins so much and will probably be my second purchase if it's available at launch.

Same games I'm looking at. I also wanted to try out Assassins Creed since I've never played any in the series and the Revolutionary War setting seems interesting. Oh and of course Mario Bros. U. Sounds like it has a lot of similarities to Super Mario World which is my favorite Mario.

Edited by GKC

i pulled the trigger and preordered one (the premium version), SMBU and zombiu.

like xeno, this is the first console that i've actually been able to afford at launch. the price,plus zombiu and playing super mario in 720p was simply too good for me to pass up. (plus the wife just about shat herself when i showed her the lego city game).

it's an odd thing to say but nintendos prices and power are just about as much as i care about the hobby anymore.i don't care about bleeding edge, i don't care if the ps4 can give me head, i just want to play current/future games at a reasonable price. plus even when the ps4/720 are released in a year or 2 (at god only knows what MSRP), it's still going to take another year or 2 for those consoles to show their worth. by then the wii u devs will be at the top of their game.

Edited by xg4bx
  • Like 1

Gamestop is now accepting pre orders on their site. I won't be able to afford the price taken out of my bank account until the end of the first week in November since I get paid three times that month. I'm kind of iffy on pre ordering one now since I don't have the money this moment and I don't know the exact date they'd take it out. Sallie Mae is such a succubus. I just hope I can lock one in that first week. I'm looking to get the premium version and Zombiu to begin with and then maybe either Rayman Legends, Assassins Creed 3, or Batman: Arkham City depending on which one is available.

I just spoke with a friend who manages a local GameStop, and he says that they are cutting off pre-orders (at the local level) this Saturday. Not sure if it's just their store or if it's a company-wide thing, but apparently they have been taking them for a while. If you want it at GameStop, I'd suggest looking into it ASAP!

Well I wasn't on the fence long. I'm such a sucker. I did it through Best Buy. Not sure if this is how it usually works but I called and they said that they take out the full amount right away. I can't remember if that's how amazon did it when I pre-ordered the 360. I could have sworn that they took like $50 at first and then the rest when the item shipped. Has anyone pre-ordered anything through best buy?

Edited by GKC

I am debating on whether to pre-order prior to Saturday or not, but I was told it's a $50 minimum down-payment at GameStop's stores.

That sounds more reasonable. I think the lady I talked to was mistaken. I found a thread on Best Buy's q&a where the moderator said that the BB policy was to hold the amount until ship day and then youre charged. I couldn't actually find said BB policy so who knows? Right now my account is showing 0$ owed with an available credit exactly $349.99 less than my credit limit.

Edited by GKC

a tad off topic but the producer of bayonetta is now receiving death threats for making part 2 a nintendo exclusive. (ignoring the fact that theres only a part 2 because of nintendo. sega was perfectly content to kill off the IP)

Edited by xg4bx

Launch games. How exciting:

http://kotaku.com/5942875/here-are-the-first-two-wii-u-launch-titles

I love that the downloadable versions will cost exactly the same amount as the retail ones.

Oh....Nintendo Premium service is a giant leap of goodness. Buy DLC-->get points-->to redeem for more DLC:

http://kotaku.com/5942882/nintendo-reveals-nintendo-network-premium

:|

Note to Self: Do I reaaallly want Animal Crossing and Bayonetta 2 that bad?

Do I really want sweaty DLC dreams at night?

What do you guys think re: shortages of the Wii U for 2012. Do you think that witha little bit of hard work people will be able to get one right up to Christmas? Or will this thing be scarce?

I was thinking about that earlier today. The Xbox 360 and Wii were both very scarce right through Christmas. But I remember actually seeing PS3s on the shelf the year it was released. I wonder what will happen with the Wii U?

Oh....Nintendo Premium service is a giant leap of goodness. Buy DLC-->get points-->to redeem for more DLC:

http://kotaku.com/59...network-premium

:|

Actually, I'm pretty happy about this. I buy a LOT of downloadable games on Wiiware/PSN. I like the retro inspired download games better than most retail releases. If they're going to give me 10% back to use for future downloads this will probably save me $20-$30 a year.

I'll be getting the $349 package on launch day... Nintendo Land for my kids, a few accessories, 32GB so that I won't need an SD card for a while, and a discount program for downloadable games. Worth the extra $50 to me. :)

Hard to tell. Supposedly the reason that game pads won't be available separately right away in NA is that there was a hitch in their production so Nintendo wants to make sure there is enough game pads for the consoles that have been/will be manufactured. How that will effect launch #s I don't know but it brings up the fact that there are essentially two pieces of hardware in each bundle and since there are no bundles minuse the game pad, one is dependent on the other.

Not only does Nintendo have to keep up supply for the demand of the consoles they also have to keep up the supply of game pads for that demand as well.

If I were a gambling man I'd bet the side of scarce but that is pure speculation on my part.

Edited by GKC

I don't know about on Wii, but I know on Xbox Live they have sales all the time. Some are exclusive to Gold members, some are open to everyone. For example, I just picked up Alan Wake's American Nightmare for ~$5 last week, or 50% off, while I got Double Fine's 'Stacking' for about $3.25 (deal of the century IMO). Last week they had all sorts of 50% deals....Sam and Max Seasons 1 & 2, Sonic 4 Episodes 1 & 2....a whole slew of others too. I stopped myself at buying Stacking and AW:AN only because I knew that if I got everything I wanted I'd be spending another $20+ and would simply be creating an even bigger backlog for me! :)

Do they not do that on Nintendo platforms? GameCube is the most current one I have, so I honestly don't know.

I went to gamestop to see what was up and they said the "32 Gig black SD Wii U" was selling fast on there preorder and would be sold out by tomorrow. Deposit was only $25.00 here so I preordered the black one, I guess no one wants the white one?

At this point, I'm just trying to keep my 'new gadget, must have' urges in check! Seriously, every fiber of my being is telling me that while this would be nice to have, and although I may very well get one down the road, I do not need the Wii U now (as much as anyone ever needs a game console). That having been said, everytime I read a post somewhere about 'pre-orders....going fast....likely will be gone by tomorrow', I have to fight the impulse to break out the 'ol credit card. Argh!

The main thing keeping me in check right now is, funny enough, simple logistics. I have absolutely no more HD hookups available on current TV/Receiver. Assuming that the next Xbox arrives with Blu-Ray playback and backward compatability, that will help solve the problem. I can move our Samsung player to another room, replace and mothball my 360 for the next Xbox, and have an open input ready for (eventually) a Wii U. I do have a component input available if I disconnect my GameCube, but I've been having so much fun rediscovering that great console and now getting ready to explore GBA/GC connectivity that I really am not prepared to do that.

See, AtariAge can be theraputic....typing this all out made me put the credit card back in my walled again! :)

I don't know about on Wii, but I know on Xbox Live they have sales all the time. Some are exclusive to Gold members, some are open to everyone. For example, I just picked up Alan Wake's American Nightmare for ~$5 last week, or 50% off, while I got Double Fine's 'Stacking' for about $3.25 (deal of the century IMO). Last week they had all sorts of 50% deals....Sam and Max Seasons 1 & 2, Sonic 4 Episodes 1 & 2....a whole slew of others too. I stopped myself at buying Stacking and AW:AN only because I knew that if I got everything I wanted I'd be spending another $20+ and would simply be creating an even bigger backlog for me! :)

Do they not do that on Nintendo platforms? GameCube is the most current one I have, so I honestly don't know.

I've never seen a sale or a price drop on Wiiware downloads. If a game launched at 500 points, it's still 500 points. The only way to save on Wiiware is to find discounted point cards at retail stores. Or, I also accumulated a lot of Wii point codes through random promotions... pepsi, gum, razors, etc.

I can't believe so many people respond to Gamestop and their pre-orders. This stuff is going to be available for sale everywhere - at every corner store, on the internet (Amazon, etc), at every electronics retailer, and every Walmart - and all at the same price. Proof of concept: Everything that's currently for sale at all of those locations, that Gamestop took pre-orders for. Gamestop is desperate, but as long as people respond to pre-orders from them, they have a viable strategy.

• Like 1

I can't believe so many people respond to Gamestop and their pre-orders. This stuff is going to be available for sale everywhere - at every corner store, on the internet (Amazon, etc), at every electronics retailer, and every Walmart - and all at the same price. Proof of concept: Everything that's currently for sale at all of those locations, that Gamestop took pre-orders for. Gamestop is desperate, but as long as people respond to pre-orders from them, they have a viable strategy.

I hate GameStop, so I pre-ordered mine from BestBuy. Free shipping.

I don't want to point out how very wrong you are, but you are very wrong. For the last 4 or 5 console launches, especially the ones during Christmas, and especially the Wii, they were all but impossible to get. The games will and most accessories will be readily available. Wii-U will be in short supply and will be selling between $750 to $1,000 on Ebay from the day after launch until Christmas Eve.

People were shooting each other over PS3's when supplies ran out and when people heard a store had a few Wii's people were stampeded. Mayhem I tells ya!