IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

today, 3.5" panels from china arrived, schematics for new adapter board for lcd interfacing on DE1 is done, need few days to route it though

this is again a part of bigger project, so i could verify some thing before going on separate, dedicated and thus single purpose board

i need to conregate my projects this way, or nothing gets done in finite time (aka 5 days)

Awesome :D I can't wait to see it in action! Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

any of you willing to participate in prototype testing? i could make 5-10 prototype boards, costs are pretty linear, but parts might be hard to get for me (since i live in Poland)

worst case scenario is 90-100USD a piece, including LCD module, it would be a drop in replacement, at least for lynx II, for lynx I i don't know

PM Sent! I can't believe this is finally happening!

got original lynx from Shawn Jefferson today, and i must say, that psychical diffrences in mechanical design prevent one uniform board design for both consoles

what is fairly easy to get around in lynx ii is completly awkward in original one, and this excludes it as a candidate for lcd or vga upgrade

ofcourse, it's not that this kind of upgrade is not possible - it is, but it wouldn't be plug and play solution at all, and i don't think many of you would decide to get such upgrade done

bottom line here is that i don't consider original lynx as a candidate here, but i'm not saying its impossible

what can be done is lcd replacement without vga output - this one would fit in place of original screen assembly, more space - ie for vga connector, is on bottom side of device and i would prevent splt design here

I think thats OK! There are more Lynx 2's for sale anyway so I dont see a big problem. If its even possible to do LCD in a Lynx 1 without TV out, with some fiddling etc, I think thats great anyway.

Thanks for the news!! =)

Agreed, I think it would be nice for Lynx I users to have a the option to replace their Lynx screens even without having output as well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow I have just read through this thread... I can't believe that this is happening! I am so excited! I love my Lynx(es) the screen is the only problem with them. If this project will materialize the Lynx will be the perfect retro handheld console. I really can't wait.

• 2 months later...

Haha! Its actually that video (rygars 10k box) that got us all talking about the easiest way to intergrate video out and the possibility of replacing the LCD with a modern unit, at which point the genius Candle appeared on the scene and produced a TV out using an FPGA in like 1 day lol.

Candle, is this project still on or do you not have time?