IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

version that would only contain LCD replacement would consist of 2 chips and would be 50% cheaper

just for you to know...

That's the version I would be in for. I want my Lynx to stay a portable, like it was meant to, I just want it to have a better screen.

well.. i better get some sleephere is initial version of schematics

http://spiflash.org/...nx/LYNX2LCD.pdf

version that would only contain LCD replacement would consist of 2 chips and would be 50% cheaper

just for you to know...

Very impressive stuff. I like the idea of TV out, although the initial aim was to get an LCD replacement for all those dying systems.

Following on from cammy's post. I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned the reset function of the lynx. Rather than having to hold down two buttons it would be nice this time to have as dedicated button. This could be incorporated on the genesis pad if there was one rapid fire button.

I thought perhaps it'd be great to have a sticker overlay for the genesis pad so we know which buttons do what.

Last thought of the day.. The audio out will presumably be stereo? Taken from the headphone out rather than the lynx mono speaker.

I'd prefer the simple LCD replacement then. Honestly, I can emulate the Lynx if I want to play it on TV, and to be honest it doesn't look pretty on the big screen due to ultra low res.

So if you could offer the LCD only version for those who do not need TV out it would be neat. :)

Poor candle lol, all these varying request and ideas. I agree stereo audio out would be nice but youve got that via headphone socket already!

Rapid fire sounds sweet, we could do that ourselves with a couple of transistors or 555 timer. Makes me wonder why I havent already done that mod. Same with flip button etc,

Edited by GadgetUK

Best to cover all the ideas now than miss something and regret it later. Candle can choose what ideas are workable etc. I assumed this docking station will carry an audio signal to the tv so just covering the point that stereo rather than mono is better for tv. Personally I wouldn't want to put a rapid fire mod inside the lynx but happy to mod a joypad better still the mod being in candle's system but I guess there's already a hell of a lot of work for him.

A simple LCD replacement mod with a more modern screen would make me really happy.... 160x102 on a VGA screen would look awful anyway IMHO.

Would be happy with better black level and viewing angle. Less streaks would be nice. Passive screens kinda suck but there wasn't much else at the time that was cost effective.

Count me in for two if you produce it! I really like my Lynx.... almost as much as my Atari XL/XE machines.

Let's not forget that some flat screens TVs are small. I have a 32 inch but also a19 inch which is the one that takes vga. Im hoping it'll be absolutely fine on the smaller one. Im sure it will be. I can't wait to see my lynx as a tv console. I do suffer a bit from rsi and so fir me a light mega drive controller may be better than the bulky lynx.

I agree it would keep the character of the Lynx. Typically it looks simple from a programmer perspective (just output a scanline, then output a black (or skip) an output scanline since you are doubling output h and v size arent you? But ive no idea if thats difficult to do in FPGA or not.

Personally happy just get what I am given, I am grateful that someone has taken on the challenge to start with so I just want cake even if I cant eat it all =)

Candle,what about using a PSP-3000 LCD panel or a PSVITA type OLED panel??Are they that much more expensive?If we're going to "modernize" a Lynx screen,let's do one up right for the

times here. :) No offense meant to you or your efforts so far. ;) Also,I've found "back up camera" LCDs seem to suffer from viewing angle problems still like the Lynx's screen does.The PSP-3000 had a small amount of it at times and the PSVITA I have now suffers from it not at all.What do you think,Candle?

Also,I'm not sure TV out is a big thing here,most never used it or liked it on the Nomad,PSP-2000,3000 or Go units.Many complained out there about aspect ratio and/or screen quality when compared to the native image they had on their units.Some graphics were too tiny,too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Also,I've found "back up camera" LCDs seem to suffer from viewing angle problems still like the Lynx's screen does.

I'm sorry, but this statement makes me question whether you've ever seen the Lynx's LCD in person, haha.

A modern LCD, even one with relatively severe viewing angle issues, will have a much better viewing angle than the Lynx LCD. I have not been able to find a single angle where my entire Lynx LCD is comfortably visible.

psp-300x series uses 4.3" panel with module dimensions 105x67 you're going to cut out hole big enough for it to fit?

3.5" panels has outside dimensions of 77x64, and it fits lynx with 1.5mm thick black border around the picture frame - this is hardly noticable if you ask me

you can put even 8 or 10" display there, but it will cover all the buttons you have

might be not an issue for you - don't know ;)

Candle, a cheapo screen is just fine.^^

I'm thinking the suggestion of an expensive OLED screen must be an April's fools. :)

The quality in the video and on the pic looks wonderful, 10 times better than the standard Lynx. As for stuff like scanlines, if those were to be included I would hope that's optional. Stuff like that is much a matter of personal taste, I for example don't like them on anything if it can be helped, so if they were included as a feature I hope they can be turned off.^^

I'm sorry, but this statement makes me question whether you've ever seen the Lynx's LCD in person, haha.

A modern LCD, even one with relatively severe viewing angle issues, will have a much better viewing angle than the Lynx LCD. I have not been able to find a single angle where my entire Lynx LCD is comfortably visible.

Yes sir,I have since July 1990 with my first Lynx I unit. ;) Also,I got my first Lynx II in July/August 1995.

The old style LCD panels usually had a viewing angle of 30 degrees in the 1980s and 90s,the passive matrix ones most especially.Active matrix ones like my Turbo Express has were a bit better than that in my experience.The active matrix were the best till the OLED ones came along.IMHO ;)

Candle, a cheapo screen is just fine.^^

I'm thinking the suggestion of an expensive OLED screen must be an April's fools. :)

The quality in the video and on the pic looks wonderful, 10 times better than the standard Lynx. As for stuff like scanlines, if those were to be included I would hope that's optional. Stuff like that is much a matter of personal taste, I for example don't like them on anything if it can be helped, so if they were included as a feature I hope they can be turned off.^^

It was not. :) I was speaking for Lynx posterity. ;)

On the second thing,I agree with you.

well

just to give you an idea on how it will look like

Lynx2LCD-routing-day1.jpg

this board takes both cheap and more expensive version

holes you see are for original mounting posts you have in every lynx case

meaning no hot glue is nessesary to retrofit this upgrade

pads supported are both snes and sega 6 buttoners - it's all in sofware anyways

at this point i want to close the schematics and will be very resistive to any changes you may propose

• Like 6

Yes sir,I have since July 1990 with my first Lynx I unit. ;) Also,I got my first Lynx II in July/August 1995.

The old style LCD panels usually had a viewing angle of 30 degrees in the 1980s and 90s,the passive matrix ones most especially.Active matrix ones like my Turbo Express has were a bit better than that in my experience.The active matrix were the best till the OLED ones came along.IMHO ;)

Alright man, but I still think you're making a bad comparison, haha. I think the viewing angle on my Dingoo is pretty bad by most standards, but it still beats the Lynx by a mile.

well

just to give you an idea on how it will look like

Lynx2LCD-routing-day1.jpg

this board takes both cheap and more expensive version

holes you see are for original mounting posts you have in every lynx case

meaning no hot glue is nessesary to retrofit this upgrade

pads supported are both snes and sega 6 buttoners - it's all in sofware anyways

at this point i want to close the schematics and will be very resistive to any changes you may propose

That's fantastic, dude! I'm very interested in ordering the cheaper LCD-only version when you get it ready!

• Like 1

That's fantastic, dude! I'm very interested in ordering the cheaper LCD-only version when you get it ready!

Yes,i agree there. :)

But,should we want to upgrade to a PSP Go screen or an OLED one in the future,is that at all possible here?The original Lynx screen has since been upgraded here nearly 25 years hence and I cannot believe this upgrade will be set in stone here,either.At least,not with us tinkering types! ^^