IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

Here's a reply from candle in another thread:

I need to push that one out before continuing 400 and lynx project - mostly because reasons i belive i've mentioned in 400 or lynx to vga threads - cpld chips choosen for these project behave strangly, and i can't say if they do work or not

sometimes they just program fine, others are not recognized by the programmer

Ok. Sounds like he has a couple of things on his plate and this is on the back burner until the other wraps up. No problem. I had just dusted off my Lynx, found this thread and was ready to go, but I'll put it back on the shelf for a few more months to curb my excitement. Hopefully this time next year my Lynx will have a new screen!

Thanks for the updates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very interested in this. I'd love to be able to play the lynx on my tv, while holding the system in my hands as the "controller." It always seemed like the lynx and most of its game library would have been good competition in the home console market compared to the other systems on the market at the time, especially when compared to the 7800 and its capabilities at around the same era.

Edited by sirlynxalot

• 3 weeks later...

All I need is this and a multi-cart and I'm set for life.

id have to second that..... I always thought lynx was a very underrated handheld.... i think its time to bring some new life into the system (other than EMUs, which just dont do it justice)

Please also consider me someone who is very interested in this..... question is, how long do we have to salivate for?!?!?!?

Now I can help on the multicart front if there is any interest. I looked into it a while ago and it all looked perfectly reasonable. Would be Lynx II only due to space though as I remember.

I think there would be tremendous interest. You should start a thread about it and see. I'd be down for one.

• Like 1

I'll just be happy to see Mr Candle bang out his finished product.

Candle, please let us know what cost per unit can be. I know you said you had visions of having another dependable member handle manufacturing.

I could be in this for several units. That may be enough to help economies of scale for everyone.

Lets fix some systems and put them back to work so theres something to put multi carts in long term.

I'm envisioning a multi-cart-equipped tabletop Lynx with a 13" monitor and arcade controls. A bit larger than the Coleco tabletops (Donkey Kong et al) but a lot more portable than a full sized cabinet. Mmm, arcade-style Lynx...<drool>

• Like 1

I've started another thread for the multi-cart, there's more then enough interest, so I've been coming up with a plan. I'll get my old Lynx out of the attic later and do some tests. :)

Not to derail this thread, though, so back on topic... an update would be great on this. Even if it's "not had any time, doing other projects, will come back to it when I feel like it", would do. I know that feeling all too well, I've got another project basically finished I need to actually make up some units for sale. Annoyingly (for the consumer) it's the challenge of making things work which is the exciting part, when it comes to the logistics of building units and electrical or mechanical sticking points, things get boring really quickly. And unfortunately us hobbyist electronics types (well, I speak for myself anyway!) do this for the challenge and the fun of it more than the monetary gain. For me the money I get for doing these sorts of projects (which isn't a lot) just goes to fund me to buy more kit to help me do more daft projects.

That all said, I'd love a new screen for the Lynx. It's such an awesome bit of hardware.

I hope Candle is OK. Seems strange that he's ignoring PMs etc. Can only assume he has some family problems, either that or he's just lost interest for other reasons. Granted these things take time, and family and work come first, but it would be nice to know what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Candle is OK. Seems strange that he's ignoring PMs etc. Can only assume he has some family problems, either that or he's just lost interest for other reasons. Granted these things take time, and family and work come first, but it would be nice to know what's going on.

I usually won't speak for other people, but we just recently found out that candle and wife had their 2nd (maybe 3rd, but I think 2nd) child. This coupled with the fact he is working a few hundred km from home and traveling a lot I believe has kept him offline. He is OK however.

This is a little old now, but wow is this beautiful!

Is this Candle or someone else? Well no matter, let's get this project done! I've been drooling over this since I first saw it.

Yes - that is candle's project.

I usually won't speak for other people, but we just recently found out that candle and wife had their 2nd (maybe 3rd, but I think 2nd) child. This coupled with the fact he is working a few hundred km from home and traveling a lot I believe has kept him offline. He is OK however.

Thanks! Hopefully he will at least make a post at some point to let us know how he is etc.