IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

I just at stumbled onto this thread and was wondering if this lcd replacement kit is, or was ever produced?

I have a Lynx 2 that I re-discovered, and would love to breath new life into it.

I'm a newbie by most standards to this forum, but I've lurked Amiga forums for years (my login is 16 years old on Amibay, lol).

If you see the top, created by Candle, he's an ACE, really a dependable fella.

He is now a family man with a second child i believe, and his productivity on indie projects has been reduced some. He finished some things that are useful to quite a many more people first. Sadly, that seemed to be August and he has been quiet.

I personally would just like to hear he's doing well even if he's not going to resume this.

I would ask that if he's killed it he release the files etc for qualified people to finish (i'm not quite that person, i program but am just now dabbling in the idea of learning hardware description language and eproms).

It was working, very well, and a few beta went out, but, we are at a standstill currently.

Mr Candle, can you light it up here for Christmas maybe?

Just hoping,

Cheers,

JW>

• Like 1

I love the look of this mod. All that circuitry goes inside? I will still purchase furrtek's mod and perhaps this too for VGA to pc monitor connection.

Thanks. Yes, all inside your LYNX-II. For this mod you must remove the old LCD and just install the new one. It tooks round about 30 to 60 minutes, depending on your soldering experience. But it is not too difficult.

• Like 2

Mr McWill your project looks very promising, it's nice to have 3 options for VGA out. I, like most of us here would love to see a video of your mod running. In the 95 euro price do you include the LCD replacement screen or we have to buy it extra? If it is extra could you post more info about it? Thanks!

It was working, very well, and a few beta went out, but, we are at a standstill currently.

Mr Candle, can you light it up here for Christmas maybe?

Just hoping,

I don't believe anybody received anything from Candle on this project yet. Has anyone? I paid in August 2013 for a prototype/first run version, as I think did some other folks in the Lynx forum.

Mr McWill your project looks very promising, it's nice to have 3 options for VGA out. I, like most of us here would love to see a video of your mod running. In the 95 euro price do you include the LCD replacement screen or we have to buy it extra? If it is extra could you post more info about it? Thanks!

Thank you. The price includes ALL, the board with 3.5" LCD replacement, VGA connector with screws an the instructions. There are no extra costs except the shipping (depending on the country) !

At present I make a video. I guess it'll running today or tomorrow on YouTube.

BTW production has started and I hope deliveries may begin within 2 or 3 weeks. :grin:

• Like 1

Thank you. The price includes ALL, the board with 3.5" LCD replacement, VGA connector with screws an the instructions. There are no extra costs except the shipping (depending on the country) !

At present I make a video. I guess it'll running today or tomorrow on YouTube.

BTW production has started and I hope deliveries may begin within 2 or 3 weeks. :grin:

How can i order one?

1 This defo needs its own thread. IMO this and furrtek's designs are superseding Candle's.

2 I am happy to buy this mod for home installation but would like tips on how to mount the vga socket as well as general installation instructions.

3 Can this mod be combined with furrtek's? Better this than modify two units to get TV out and VGA options.

4 Is it absolutely necessary to remove those parts? Obviously the brightness wheel, yes, unless the vga socket is mounted elsewhere.

thanks

1 This defo needs its own thread. IMO this and furrtek's designs are superseding Candle's.

2 I am happy to buy this mod for home installation but would like tips on how to mount the vga socket as well as general installation instructions.

3 Can this mod be combined with furrtek's? Better this than modify two units to get TV out and VGA options.

4 Is it absolutely necessary to remove those parts? Obviously the brightness wheel, yes, unless the vga socket is mounted elsewhere.

thanks

Well, use a chisel point inside the links for your soldering ofcourse, keep some solder wick handy too.

Have a dremel handy for the VGA, i think it's easier cutting a good square out for the whole VGA port and the fastener bolts than trying to cut out the trapezoid. Keep a rotary tool handy for making the square a better cut finish and round it's corners to increase strength.

Options A is soldering the VGA port in with some extra handy dandy plastic of your choice (melt the plastic in behind the case and next to the plug.

B: Hot Glue it (won't last forever, but pretty long)

c: REMOVE the vga port fastener bolts and cut only a hole big enough for the trapezoid, very precisely, then use a rotary tool or small drill bit to precisely cut the holes in the plastic and try screwing those bolts in through the holes, as well as hot gluing the end inside. I'm not totally sure of the depth on the bolts of wahtever VGA port you'll use or the rigidity of the plastic, this is off the top of my head stuff.

I welcome other inputs, thanks everyone.

Thanks for that. Perhaps it is time I bought a dremel and a glue gun. Ok with soldering but should probably practice cutting plastic. Be useful to see photos/videos of others' cutting experiences in time.

Cool Yes, you can also solder plastic, just need a binding plastic. Search that one on google, Very interesting. It's heat, it melts and melds.

BUT, i haven't mastered it enough yet to send the work i've done to someone else.

On plastic though, remember, andy 'crack' left in it is a crack, waiting to fly off. Needs to be rounded out somehow if it happens.

The hole needs to be big enough for the VGA connectors to make a tight connection. With black Sugru you can make a nice finish that looks and feels professional. You just need some flat tools to shape it and wait for a night to let Sugru harden.

Is the vertical frequency of the vga/lcd output somehow related (in-sync) to the vertical frequency of the lynx's video signal?

I guess that if this isn't the case, stutter or tearing could occur.

No, it's not in-sync because it's not possible with the LYNX. The pixelclock from the LYNX LCD isn't always available and the Lynx has different / programmable pixelrates. You have to work with buffers and that's RAM. One RAM is reading and one RAM is writing. But the frequency of the 3.5" is very high ~70Hz and VGA ~73 Hz.

• Like 1