IGNORED

Classic RPGs

doomwaves

Exodus is a brilliant port of Ultima III.

It's a bit more rewarding than Dragon Warrior 2, if you ask me.

What's fun about it is the fact that you have to explore, and that you have to map out the dungeons or you will probably get lost and die.

If you don't have the instruction manual, you may want to go read a faq about all of the classes in the game so you don't setup a party that will be useless.

If you don't have the instruction manual, you may want to go read a faq about all of the classes in the game so you don't setup a party that will be useless.

Yea I have heard there are some pretty useless classes... I probably will check some out... I started this a while back, but got into something else & never moved much further than putting a party together, so I will most likely start over..

I tend to grind A LOT.. So I will most likely spend far too many hours leveling up before I move too far.. I hate getting caught in a situation with stronger enemies & struggling thru battles..

Sometimes this is my downfall really, I spend so much time grinding that I lose interest in the game.... Oh well...

Onward I venture.. i will probably start it his evening..

• Like 1

You have to be careful with grinding.

The game progresses with you, much like Ultima IV.

If you start jacking your levels up, expect to see scary jive right outside of Montor.

You should definitely take a ranger.

Also, a Cleric. Using harm to blow the entire field up is pretty great.

• Like 1

You have to be careful with grinding.

The game progresses with you, much like Ultima IV.

If you start jacking your levels up, expect to see scary jive right outside of Montor.

You should definitely take a ranger.

Also, a Cleric. Using harm to blow the entire field up is pretty great.

Noted.. Perhaps I'll do a bit of research so I don't get myself into too much trouble...

Its not necessarily bad. It just means you won't really get into those "man, I can just breeze on through here!" things. Every battle is a battle.

Though, later on towards the end, you'll basically be a party of gods. Everything dies.

lol

It's such a great game.

• Like 1

Its not necessarily bad. It just means you won't really get into those "man, I can just breeze on through here!" things. Every battle is a battle.

Though, later on towards the end, you'll basically be a party of gods. Everything dies.

lol

It's such a great game.

Sweet....

It imagining it taking me a lot longer than DW to beat.. LOL

NO, but im looking into it now...

LOL... I think I am going to try to get all the NES rpgs... Except for the stupidly outrageous priced ones.. Is there any of those?

I'm looking into some other rpg-ish/Action games like Deadly Towers, Legacy of the Wizard & Battle of Olympus...

I've seen gameplay of these & tested out some roms, they seem fun, but also very hard..

Id also like to go ahead & get the 2 & 3 Wizards & Warriors games.. Even though the 3rd blows HARD... LOL! I don't see how the first one can be so awesome & the other 2 tank so hard... Iron Sword isn't bad i guess, I just could never get very far as a kid, so I sold it off.. I need to track down another copy sometime and give it another go as well.

NO, but im looking into it now...

LOL... I think I am going to try to get all the NES rpgs... Except for the stupidly outrageous priced ones.. Is there any of those?

I'm looking into some other rpg-ish/Action games like Deadly Towers, Legacy of the Wizard & Battle of Olympus...

I've seen gameplay of these & tested out some roms, they seem fun, but also very hard..

Id also like to go ahead & get the 2 & 3 Wizards & Warriors games.. Even though the 3rd blows HARD... LOL! I don't see how the first one can be so awesome & the other 2 tank so hard... Iron Sword isn't bad i guess, I just could never get very far as a kid, so I sold it off.. I need to track down another copy sometime and give it another go as well.

As luck would have it. I have a spare Magic of Scheherazade and a semi-banged up Legacy of the Wizard.

Deadly towers is pretty awful. I would avoid it.

LotW is my absolute favorite NES game. You should look into Faxanadu also. and Battle of Olympus. Definitely. Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus and Legacy of the Wizard are all great games. Legacy of the Wizard, you will definitely want to get a FAQ or the manual, otherwise you will literally be screwed.

If you'd like to partake of the Scheherazade and LOTW, lemme know. lol.

Neither of them are too pricey. and they are both awesome.

As luck would have it. I have a spare Magic of Scheherazade and a semi-banged up Legacy of the Wizard.

Deadly towers is pretty awful. I would avoid it.

LotW is my absolute favorite NES game. You should look into Faxanadu also. and Battle of Olympus. Definitely. Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus and Legacy of the Wizard are all great games. Legacy of the Wizard, you will definitely want to get a FAQ or the manual, otherwise you will literally be screwed.

If you'd like to partake of the Scheherazade and LOTW, lemme know. lol.

Neither of them are too pricey. and they are both awesome.

:-o

It's not too bad, actually, especially when compared to the SNES scene. Dragon Warrior IV is fairly expensive, but last I checked the price was roughly in keeping with its actual rarity, unlike the prices you see on many SNES RPGs that aren't rare at all.

• 6 months later...

To the OP, Final Fantasy.

Now if the question were Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior 3? Oh god, no way I could choose. They are two of my favorite games ever.

Now the NES (and I suppose other old consoles) had this really cool sub-genre of games that were hybrids of RPGs and 2D Action/Platformers. They included the likes of Castlevania II, Zelda 2, Faxanadu, and a few others mentioned in this topic. This is absolutely one of my favorite genres of all time as it added a layer of complexity that I found utterly intriguing to otherwise straightforward games. I'd also include River City Ransom in this mix even though that's more of a beat 'em up/RPG hybrid.

I love the RPG elements in these games, probably because I am not very good at them and via gaining XP/getting tougher I have a crutch that helps me get through the games. Plus I'm a sucker for leveling. The NES had some really good titles in this regard and yes I consider Castlevania II to be a very good game. One of my favorites on the NES.

Anyone know where I can find an online, or physical copy of the code wheel used in Pool of Radiance? I downloaded the PC version..

Try this. I think the code wheel was the same for all versions. BTW, does the code actually randomize on DOS? I've been playing the Amiga version and 90% of the time the code is "Jungle", 9% of the time the code is "Temple" and 1% of the time it's something else. Probabilities pulled out of my ass, but you get the picture.

BTW, does the code actually randomize on DOS? I've been playing the Amiga version and 90% of the time the code is "Jungle", 9% of the time the code is "Temple" and 1% of the time it's something else. Probabilities pulled out of my ass, but you get the picture.

Idk... I didn't try very hard. I tried to look up the code wheel, but every result I pulled up was gone..

Edited by doomwaves

If the level progression is too slow on the NES version of Dragon Warrior 1, look into hunting down a copy of 1&2 for the Game Boy Color. HVGN did a "Game Quickie" of it, and noticed while he struggled to even make it to level four an hour in the GBC version saw him close to level eight or nine. My response, I'd have to say FF1 wins it out for me. I still find it more legitimately-challenging than DW1/DQ1. Some battles in DQ1 really needs you to get lucky to just survive. In FF1, it doesn't seem so random as to what your chances of victory/survival are in fights. Plus the 126 combinations of four-person parties makes for a LOT of replay value (four White Mages? Apparently it DID work.). That, plus you can do some events out of sequence in the game.

Now Ultima III, I've played and beaten both the PC and NES versions. It's surprising what differences are found. Monsters/npcs can move diagonally on the PC, certain monsters and ships can attack outside of battle (fortunately the player can in a ship, but it results in no EXP. Plus that is the ONLY way to kill Lord British in the PC version), the strongest enemies appear in groups of up to eight on the PC and only two on the NES, classes can be male or female on the PC (NES pre-assigns gender), and numerous other gameplay diferences. It's really suggested that one plays both versions to truly experience how the same game on different platforms can be so vastly different.

I'm playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time. Well, not really the *first* time, but the first time I've gotten past the three hour mark (currently nearing ten!). It's not bad so far, but not as good as I was hoping. Hasn't really "grabbed" me yet. However, I'm sure there's a lot more for the story to unfold, and I'm betting it's even more entertaining and addictive when the New Game+ option is unlocked. Which I may very well go through a time or two. We'll see.

Plus the 126 combinations of four-person parties makes for a LOT of replay value (four White Mages? Apparently it DID work.).

I remember seeing pictures people submitted to Nintendo Power back in the day showing off that achievement (back when doing something like that actually seemed to mean something). I've always wanted to go back and try to do that myself. Yet another thing on the video gaming bucket list I'll probably never get to, haha..

• Like 1

4 WM gets real tedious. The basic strat is to push till you get to areas with Undead and spam HARM to level up. Lich and Vamp are vulnerable to HARM so you really only have to worry about Astos. After Lich you can get the Zeus Gauntlet and fights get much easier.