IGNORED

Classic RPGs

doomwaves

In Secret of Mana, you can initially find items (candy, chocolate) to recover with. Eventually you'll get spells that do the same. Don't forget it is still an RPG. You'll want to visit the shops in town to buy new gear and upgrade your defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive always wanted to go back and play all of the classic rpgs but time is not on my side at this point of my life. Phantasy star on the sms is one I would like to try though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Save states or long lasting standby modes in 3DS / PS Vita save me. JRPGs area easily my favorite genre and man are they not adult life with kids friendly. I miss the tension of the savepoint a little but eh, can't play any other way.

Save states or long lasting standby modes in 3DS / PS Vita save me. JRPGs area easily my favorite genre and man are they not adult life with kids friendly. I miss the tension of the savepoint a little but eh, can't play any other way.

I had a new 3ds and a ps vita , and I still didn't have time. I have 4 kids and work 11-12 hours 5 days a week. I am also pretty committed in my religion. I have found the arcade genre and pre-crash era games to be a real boon. My kids are young so pre- crash is just right for now. I also have a genuine love for the idea of a homebrew game.

I hate to say it but this is why I'd never recommend the first Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, or Phantasy Star to a RPG newcomer. Here's my interpretation of starting out in Dragon Warrior - leave town, run circles around town, fight Slime, run to town, heal, leave town, run around town, fight 2 Slimes, run to town, heal, leave town, run around town, fight Red Slime, die, repeat. It's almost as frustrating and boring to read it as it is to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love those games but I grew up on text adventures & Gateway to Apshai so they were leaps and bounds ahead. It's so hard to recommend RPGs in a world of Halos & Call of Dutys (Duties?) You just gotta take little bites, fight a few baddies and cast a heal spell or go to town and get healed or buy some potions/herbs. The worst is the grinding in the beginning (I actually don't mind the grinding and can do it for hours). Once you get some levels and more magic points and better heal spells you'll be good to go. I own/played tons of RPGs, love em, Lufia, Lunar, FF, Dragon Warrior, Breath of Fire, Illusion of Gaia, etc. My favs are the strategy RPGs, if you want something good try Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle. Always save, always upgrade your weapons/armor, always take time to heal, if needed, between battles.

I'd also like to point out, when you start, don't go running off half-cocked to the nearest dungeon. Take time to explore near town and fight random battles. You'll get exp & know the land better. Sticking close to home is your biggest asset in the beginning. It might suck at first but it sucks less than dying. Have patience and it'll come together, a good RPG used to be a 30 hour or so ride, there's plenty of time to kick ass & take names.

Edited by byonddrivn

All right, I've kind of got the hang of things like someone mentioned candy and chocolate replenish health and the game is gradually getting more manageable. I'm killing everything I come across so I'm at the right level to take down bosses and shit, plus I'm lost every 10 minutes, so that helps too.I understand now why people don't mind the turn based system and could definitely try one after I beat Mana, I can especially see how the turn based thing would be good for marathon gaming. I put in like 7 hours to Mana and I just can't go anymore between worrying about my reflexes killing things, discovery and managing multiple characters. I used to play Destiny, so I'm familiar with the grind, I just must say modern FPS grinding is much rewarding with headshots and acting the fool out in an open world with a friend. I'm using a guide as well with the save states to save time, like someone else said these days it's the only way you can get 'er done. I actually could put a Game Genie code in with invincibility and still enjoy the game, to be totally honest. I'm so bad at finding my way around in these games, that alone would be enough of a challenge. To miss out on real boss battles would suck, though, so can't do it that way.

So yeah, so far it's basically like a Zelda game with leveling and much more customization (controls take a long time to get used to, as well), so I do like it and thanks you guys will continue to play RPGs. I think the next RPG I play, I'll level my guy up mindlessly ala byonddrivn's method to like level 4 before I begin and things will be a bit easier off the hop.

• Like 1

Some people like to grind. I eat up gaining levels, collecting items, etc. I'm a big fan of Dragon Warrior/Quest because those things are a big part of that series. It's absolutely a slower pace though. You can spin your wheels in Dragon Quest III for hours and feel like you've accomplished nothing but the meager amount of gold you've collected will end up helping you to buy the next big weapon upgrade.

Wandering around in dungeons and getting lost is about like playing some of the old FPSes that were mazes you had to find the exit for. Newer RPGs are like newer FPSes, everything is on rails. There are some exceptions (hello Etrian Odyssey!) but it's all good. RPGs have always had a big story element and I eat up that fantasy stuff that is big in 90s RPGs.

Some people like to grind. I eat up gaining levels, collecting items, etc. I'm a big fan of Dragon Warrior/Quest because those things are a big part of that series. It's absolutely a slower pace though. You can spin your wheels in Dragon Quest III for hours and feel like you've accomplished nothing but the meager amount of gold you've collected will end up helping you to buy the next big weapon upgrade.

Wandering around in dungeons and getting lost is about like playing some of the old FPSes that were mazes you had to find the exit for. Newer RPGs are like newer FPSes, everything is on rails. There are some exceptions (hello Etrian Odyssey!) but it's all good. RPGs have always had a big story element and I eat up that fantasy stuff that is big in 90s RPGs.

Yeah, that's one thing that makes me cry a little inside; perfect games for me like Duke Nukem, Doom and Wolfenstein are all FPS maze style and the graphics are so primitive, it all just looks the fucking same and I couldn't get anywhere when I tried about a decade ago, though I'm more experienced now. So it's nice to hear newer RPGs are like new FPS because I'd totally be all the way down with that. I have Fable II, Final Fantasy XIII, Elder Scrolls or something for last gen just things I got free in system bundles or picked up for 5 bucks when the video store here closed out. I think Diablo III might be more up my alley if I get more into these.

I hate to say it but this is why I'd never recommend the first Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, or Phantasy Star to a RPG newcomer.

< snipped >

Those 3 games are good choices but it can be a bit grindy for xp gains. original Legend of Zelda, Neutopia, and Golden Axe Warriors don't rely on XP for power or skill so they could be a bit quicker and easier.

Even though I like CRPGs best, I'd say dragon warrior. Honestly, I like pretty much everything about Wizardry - except the gameplay. Nice graphics, great music, cool box art and a detailed manual (I'm talking about the NES version not C64 or Apple][ versions, which I don't own.)

The game is so boring.

However, I love the anime based on it.

< snipped >

Those 3 games are good choices but it can be a bit grindy for xp gains. original Legend of Zelda, Neutopia, and Golden Axe Warriors don't rely on XP for power or skill so they could be a bit quicker and easier.

Thats why I mentioned Dawn of Souls (FF1 and FF2), I beat those easily with little grinding at all and they toned down the boss fights (there's an Easy difficulty option).

All right, I've kind of got the hang of things like someone mentioned candy and chocolate replenish health and the game is gradually getting more manageable. I'm killing everything I come across so I'm at the right level to take down bosses and shit, plus I'm lost every 10 minutes, so that helps too.I understand now why people don't mind the turn based system and could definitely try one after I beat Mana, I can especially see how the turn based thing would be good for marathon gaming. I put in like 7 hours to Mana and I just can't go anymore between worrying about my reflexes killing things, discovery and managing multiple characters. I used to play Destiny, so I'm familiar with the grind, I just must say modern FPS grinding is much rewarding with headshots and acting the fool out in an open world with a friend. I'm using a guide as well with the save states to save time, like someone else said these days it's the only way you can get 'er done. I actually could put a Game Genie code in with invincibility and still enjoy the game, to be totally honest. I'm so bad at finding my way around in these games, that alone would be enough of a challenge. To miss out on real boss battles would suck, though, so can't do it that way.

So yeah, so far it's basically like a Zelda game with leveling and much more customization (controls take a long time to get used to, as well), so I do like it and thanks you guys will continue to play RPGs. I think the next RPG I play, I'll level my guy up mindlessly ala byonddrivn's method to like level 4 before I begin and things will be a bit easier off the hop.

Mana is so much easier to get into than real J-RPGs because of its action nature. It's an action/adventure game first and foremost (like Zelda), and a RPG second. I recommend trying some of the classic turn-based RPGs, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, etc., as they all have their own charm and you can see where the genre got its roots. You might even enjoy them. However, I would also suggest sticking with the action-RPG sub-genre as well if the turn-based ones don't float your boat. There are many more games in the Mana series (if you're on emulation, you can try the sequel to Secret of Mana that came out in Japan, there are translated ROMs out there), and if you have a Wii (or if your PC is powerful enough to emulate it), then I recommend Xenoblade Chronicles on that--one of the smoothest, easiest to pickup action J-RPGs out there. There are a lot of systems in place with that one that will prevent you from getting hopelessly lost, despite how large and open the game is.

Mana is so much easier to get into than real J-RPGs because of its action nature. It's an action/adventure game first and foremost (like Zelda), and a RPG second. I recommend trying some of the classic turn-based RPGs, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, etc., as they all have their own charm and you can see where the genre got its roots. You might even enjoy them. However, I would also suggest sticking with the action-RPG sub-genre as well if the turn-based ones don't float your boat. There are many more games in the Mana series (if you're on emulation, you can try the sequel to Secret of Mana that came out in Japan, there are translated ROMs out there), and if you have a Wii (or if your PC is powerful enough to emulate it), then I recommend Xenoblade Chronicles on that--one of the smoothest, easiest to pickup action J-RPGs out there. There are a lot of systems in place with that one that will prevent you from getting hopelessly lost, despite how large and open the game is.

I'm now probably well over half way through Mana and dungeons are so easy, I'm merely using the guide to get the orbs necessary and to talk to necessary people without trial and error. I could handle a bigger challenge. When I found out there was a translated sequel, I immediately wanted to play it but my ROMset is USA, not that it'll be hard to find. I'll try the turn based ones and I can even grind and whatnot as long as it is rewarding. I think the real downfall of these games, and even Zelda, which from what I have experienced is still way harder, is that hopelessly lost feeling that is totally unnecessary.

But if your warning of other RPGs not being so forgiving is any indication, I just wouldn't play them, though I'll certainly give the turn based classics a try here or there to see if I like them.

Honestly, what I'm most disappointed in from this ordeal of trying to discover an RPG is, as inexperienced as I am, people acting like Zelda isn't an RPG and there aren't others like it more in the RPG realm ala Mana. I thought the RPG system was totally out of my grasp which is now obviously proven to not be true, and those gamers who hindered me, I feel resentment towards. But that's why I like AA. Here, people will listen and guide you in, not be an elitist asshole.

Honestly, what I'm most disappointed in from this ordeal of trying to discover an RPG is, as inexperienced as I am, people acting like Zelda isn't an RPG and there aren't others like it more in the RPG realm ala Mana. I thought the RPG system was totally out of my grasp which is now obviously proven to not be true, and those gamers who hindered me, I feel resentment towards. But that's why I like AA. Here, people will listen and guide you in, not be an elitist asshole.

Yeah, Zelda is what people would call an action/adventure game. RPGs are generally defined by a turn-based nature, experience points and stat building through said experience points, elements a game like Zelda lacks. The lines do blur quite a bit though in some cases, like with Secret of Mana where it's very much an action game (although attacking in it does require a disciplined method, you can't just smash the button over and over and have it do something worthwhile).

The RPG genre actually isn't tough to get into, it's just that some people might be unfamiliar to it and thus assume it's a lot more complicated than it is. Western RPGs tend to be complex, but a lot of Japanese RPGs (JRPGs) are generally quite welcoming. :)

I'm now probably well over half way through Mana and dungeons are so easy, I'm merely using the guide to get the orbs necessary and to talk to necessary people without trial and error. I could handle a bigger challenge. When I found out there was a translated sequel, I immediately wanted to play it but my ROMset is USA, not that it'll be hard to find. I'll try the turn based ones and I can even grind and whatnot as long as it is rewarding. I think the real downfall of these games, and even Zelda, which from what I have experienced is still way harder, is that hopelessly lost feeling that is totally unnecessary.

Secret of Mana will get a lot more challenging near the end of the game. So patience.. You will get there. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I beat Secret of Mana and I liked it a lot, it felt like a Zelda game except not quite as good, though few are. I am torn as to which RPG to try next. I would have never have beat it without a guide and never had would have had the time to beat it without save states, so I think I'll continue playing these games like I did this one. I was severely underleveled at 55 when I beat it. The bosses weren't so hard, but the regular enemies were a total bitch. Next one I play I'm gonna smell the roses a bit more, I had to power through this one just as some sort of mental proving ground that I could do it.

I wish I'd have gotten into/learned what games like this were as a kid when I would have had hours and hours to plug away aimlessly. The closest thing I had was Metroid II and I didn't read the manual, had no idea what the fuck was going on, and just played to see how far I could go like it was Mario or something I was familiar with.

I wish I'd have gotten into/learned what games like this were as a kid when I would have had hours and hours to plug away aimlessly. The closest thing I had was Metroid II and I didn't read the manual, had no idea what the fuck was going on, and just played to see how far I could go like it was Mario or something I was familiar with.

Haha.. That's exactly why I don't play many of these types of games anymore, but played quite a few as a kid. Time's just too limited nowadays.

I was not an RPG fan growing up, I'm now in my mid-30s. I've always been interested, but the genre seemed too daunting to me because I was always wondering: "Why not just use the button to attack, rather than picking an attack?" Attempts at seeking out "introductory" RPGs were usually... less than fulfilling.

However, it occurred to me a while back that these are not just "RPG video games", and that many of the earlier, more traditional, turn-based ones are actually something akin to "tabletop RPG simulators". Once I had that in mind, it was easier to accept the "rules" of video game RPGs and the way they're set up.

This thread has really been informative, thanks to everyone who's chipped in. I'm looking forward to delving deeper into the genre alongside the OP.

Oh Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3 in Japan) is quite good and has a solid fan translation. You select which three characters you want out of a pool of six and each has various ways their class can evolve. More role playing mechanics than SoM 1 but the same solid gameplay. For your own edification, Final Fantasy Adventure on Gameboy is also part of this series. It has very similar gameplay but also blends a lot of stuff from Final Fantasy so you can see how the whole thing started as a spinoff.

After the first three games, the Mana series got kind of...weird...though.

You would probably like Illusion of Gaia if you enjoyed Secret of Mana. This is one that I have had trouble getting into but it is regarded as a cult classic.

Oh Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3 in Japan) is quite good and has a solid fan translation. You select which three characters you want out of a pool of six and each has various ways their class can evolve. More role playing mechanics than SoM 1 but the same solid gameplay. For your own edification, Final Fantasy Adventure on Gameboy is also part of this series. It has very similar gameplay but also blends a lot of stuff from Final Fantasy so you can see how the whole thing started as a spinoff.

After the first three games, the Mana series got kind of...weird...though.

You would probably like Illusion of Gaia if you enjoyed Secret of Mana. This is one that I have had trouble getting into but it is regarded as a cult classic.

I did some digging and found out that it tied in with the Final Fantasy Adventure GB game and want to check that one out some time as well. The sheer amount of these games out there is going to be a bitch to get through even to a minute degree, so I am not sure when I'll get to give those ones a try. I downloaded the fan translation, but I can't justify playing that when there are others I need to try my hand at first to get a grasp on things. I'm likely to try Super Mario RPG next.

• 3 weeks later...

I played all 3 of these games (FF, DW, PS) when they came out (I used to review video games for a living). The answer is no contest. Phantasy Star destroys the other two. PS was so far ahead of its time when it was released. 4Meg cart with the best graphics at the time, 3D dungeons, 3 planets, female protagonist (who isn't some sex toy, unheard of at the time), a wizard with an ambiguous gender (not actually the case, but a messed up English translation made it so) and one of the first story driven RPG's released on consoles.

For anyone to claim FF or DW better either didn't play PS or has nostalgia. That's obviously not a bad thing, but at the time it was very obvious PS was the vastly superior game.

• 1 month later...

I just have to chime in on a huge blunder I made playing Sweet Home for NES. I found it odd that you could only control one character at a time, but it's the NES and as I covered here previously, I'm new to RPGs. In fact, this one is basically the first turn based one I've ever played aside from a couple hours on a GBA Mario RPG. So I'm kind of using a walkthrough a handful of times just to tell me directly where to go so I don't have to wander around a lot. In the walkthrough the game said the rope will take all team members across a certain part. I tried and it never would. So I went to Youtube and saw that this guy is where I'm at at the end of part 2 of his 9 part series. I've put like 8 hours into this, so I'm like what the hell? How could he possibly have done it so much quicker? Turns out you have to party your team up to ride the rope across, and partying up makes it so your team moves together. I've basically been tediously going through shit 3-4 times over compared to what I should have had to have done, plus I was always at a huge disadvantage in battles because I would have to bring people in two by two and always give up a hit or two to the enemy. And to top it off, any characters I didn't bring in lost free XP. Damn! Oh well, the game is gonna be a lot more enjoyable now that I don't have to move my guys one by one.