IGNORED

Metal Jesus Game Room / Music Room Tour

Metal Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wchspu2lV2s

There are a million of these game room tours on YouTube, but few people are as anal about collecting, storing and organizing as me. Hopefully you will find the video interesting as I show my close to 2,000 video games and over 30 consoles (as well as our live music practice room). Take a look and let me know what you think!

You can see my entire game & music vinyl record collection here

That was a great tour of your game room, thanks for sharing! Excellent breadth of stuff you have there, and some very well thought-out solutions to dust and storage. That PC nook caught my interest the most of all your stuff, that's the sort of setup I've been contemplating for playing DOS and '90s Windows games. I can somewhat feel your pain of having unthinkingly disposed of all those jewel cases, the vast majority of my PC game boxes were lost in a basement flood my family was unprepared for many years ago.

Thanks for the tour. Great game room but a Jaguar turns it into a fantastic game room.

I borrowed a Jaguar for a couple weeks to do a Retrospective on it...and found it be surprisingly fun. It's on my radar to add it, if I come across one cheap.

Now...the Vectrex? That's another matter. I'd LOVE to find one soon. They look like a ton o' fun too.

Now...the Vectrex? That's another matter. I'd LOVE to find one soon. They look like a ton o' fun too.

They are. Really love minestorm and scramble. Got 2 consles, but need to relace the caps in one and ging to adres the buzz in that unit to. Had to disassamble a pacman cart, to play as a donor for a joystick string that had broken inside one controller.

What is left to do on the cabinet?

The MAME frontend software setup is still not as polished as I would like. I'm using Hyperspin and it requires a bit of setup...

Also I don't have side art on it yet... and honestly, not sure if I want side art or not. It would be kinda cool, but then again having the cab completely death metal black is pretty cool too. We'll have to see :)

The MAME frontend software setup is still not as polished as I would like. I'm using Hyperspin and it requires a bit of setup...

Also I don't have side art on it yet... and honestly, not sure if I want side art or not. It would be kinda cool, but then again having the cab completely death metal black is pretty cool too. We'll have to see :)

Yeah, the front end can be a time vampire if you let it be. I went with MaLa and didn’t bother spending much time at all on it. I made a custom background graphic, and made separate lists for each letter of the alphabet using the “game list editor” and that’s about it. Basic but very clean and functional. It can get especially time consuming if you start trying to incorporate all of the console emulators. I don’t know if you’re planning to do that, but my advice would be to not get too wrapped up in that crap because you’ll probably never use them—especially since you have a zillion real consoles right there in the same room.

As for the side-art, I feel your pain. It’s tempting to want to “go all out” on your project and buy things like that, but be careful. I actually designed and ordered some side-art for my cabinet only to ultimately decide that I wanted to stick with the plain black look. That was an expensive change of heart, to say the least.

• Like 1

I went with MaLa and didn’t bother spending much time at all on it.

First I've heard of that front end, so I'm downloading it now. I do think Hyperspin is a bit overkill for me because I really just want a simple classic arcade machine...and I don't really care about consoles for this cab.

As for the side graphics, I am leaning towards just leaving it black, because where the machine sits, nobody is going to see them anyway...

First I've heard of that front end, so I'm downloading it now. I do think Hyperspin is a bit overkill for me because I really just want a simple classic arcade machine...and I don't really care about consoles for this cab.

Cool--hope it works out for you. To be honest, MaLa is the only one I've ever used so I don't know how it compares to Hyperspin. All I can say is that, while it does have a bit of a learning curve, if you have a basic understanding of MAME and have that "instinct" on how software works, you'll be up and running in no time.

I don't know what your familiarity level is with MAME so I hope I'm not talking beneath you, but just in case you weren't aware such things are available, I'd strongly suggest you get a build of MAME with high score save support. Plain old MAME used to do this natively but it was dropped several versions ago. These days, only games that had non-volatile RAM in the original cabinets (i.e. battery backup to save scores when the game was unplugged) will retain your high scores, meaning most games won't. Luckily, there are current builds of MAME available that support this functionality. Believe me, it's great when you're jammin' some arcade games with the guys and you pull up a classic you haven't played in a while and end up having to say to your buddy "hey, I remember when you got that score last summer... bastard!" On my cabinet, my brother has held the top scores for Centipede, Pac-Man, and Burgertime for ages and it drives me nuts but I just can't overtake him. At least I recently took down his Rush N Attack title. :)

I'd strongly suggest you get a build of MAME with high score save support. Plain old MAME used to do this natively but it was dropped several versions ago. These days, only games that had non-volatile RAM in the original cabinets (i.e. battery backup to save scores when the game was unplugged) will retain your high scores, meaning most games won't.

Very cool, I didn't know about this. Up until now I have been using save states and just reloading the file every time I start the game. Sort of a ghetto way to keep your scores, but it works.

Very cool, I didn't know about this. Up until now I have been using save states and just reloading the file every time I start the game. Sort of a ghetto way to keep your scores, but it works.

The way I understand it, how the high score support works is when you exit a game, MAME dumps the block of memory associated with the high score table to your harddisk. Then, when you load up the game again later, it automatically grabs that data from the disk and writes it to the appropriate addresses. In order to do that, you need to get a copy of a file called HISCORE.DAT which tells MAME where the data is stored for the supported games (not every single game is supported--but many are). You also have to add a subfolder called "hi" to the MAME directory. That's pretty much it.

It's kind of important to understand what is going on behind the scenes to prevent unfortunate mistakes. For example, when I got my all time high on Missile Command, it didn't store to the high score table because I didn't exit out of Missile Command before powering down my cabinet so the write operation never happened. Also, you should be aware that if you use the "reset" function within MAME, your scores will be reset to the factory defaults and then when you exit the game those are the values that will be dumped to disk.

• Like 1

I have a similar mame cabinet. I wired up the x-arcade diy kit in mine. I am running coin ops on a modded xbox. It is a great setup. Much better than when I had mame running on a pc in there. You may want to look into that.

Since you had on a KISS shirt and had KISS ducks in your game room I am now a subscriber to your youtube channel. :)