IGNORED

little Naki project

Guitari

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd quickly upload before (white) and after (red) snaps of my battery replacements in the Naki battery pack..

Ni-MH 4300MAh 1.2v C cells with solder tags used to replace the Ni-Cd originals. Total voltage is 7.2v

Bit of a squeeze with the thick red autowire! should have used something thinner.

Charge time - just what it says in the Naki instructions to be on the safe side as there's no indicator LED.

It works a treat! I bought the pack 'new' from ebay and didn't even bother trying the dead cells from the '90s!

One downside - it's really heavy!

Enjoy.

post-7413-0-63415300-1347901424_thumb.jpg

post-7413-0-36911200-1347901434_thumb.jpg

Edited by guitari

It's possible I suppose - but I haven't yet tested it. I think I would have to charge them for quite some time too, to acheive 15 hours!

The original components look so old and fragile, so I was treating it with care when it came to charge times.

On the weight issue, obviously a lithum battery would reduce the weight but I don't have the necessary knowledge of lithiums, so I stuck with the C cells!

However I still think this is preferable to the large official battery pack!

I take it these are hard to find now as I cant see one for sale anywhere =\

I wonder if its possible to but some lithium ion cells into the Lynx case. I was looking at PSP batteries, it would need an array of 3, but the voltage would be a little high and charging liions isnt as easy as nicad or nimh...

They seem to come up every now and then on ebay. I'd do an ebay saved search and get emailed when one comes in. I made him an offer and got it for £7-8. Very reasonable. The replacement cells though were a good £20 or so. Although I think dirt cheap ones are available from Hong Kong on ebay maybe not with solder tags though.

The guy I bought mine from had a few very recently but he's sold out now.

No idea really, there might be some extra room in the model one. Yes, I opted to play it safe and avoid Li-ions.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a gamegear battery pack and the official Lynx pack, omg have you seen the SIZE of the Lynx pack lol - with a belt clip on it... If you think of the size of those MASSIVE mobile phones of the 80's - its that size lol. As an adult now, if I clipped to my belt the bottom of the pack reaches half the length of my thigh bone.

On the subject of the gamegear pack - its much better in size and interestingly was designed to take an RC 7.2v high cap battery! The old nicad unit has died, ive ordered a higher capacity (double) nihm replacement. Not sure how well it will work as the charging patterns for nicad and nimh are different but from what ive read it will work.

I will add a Lynx cable to it so I can use on Lynx or Gamegear.

Edited by GadgetUK

Hi, Yes, I have all these battery packs that you mention. The Game Gear Power Back that screws into the GG can be used for the lynx. I actually modded one. I replaced the batteries with (I think 6) size C-cells (nimh). I wired it such that I have three power leads coming out the top. 1) the original, 2) a reverse polarity smaller style plug for the American game gears and a further one for the lynx (smaller plug yet again). BEWARE - if you do this you must cover the end of the 2nd style game gear plug as if it touches the others it will spark - due to reverse polarity.

I'll post a photo of it later..

(it works well by the way!)

I took a photo of the old battery after I changed it, but its just a standard 7.2v RC (Radio Controlled) battery. I fitted an 1800mAh over the original 1200mAh, based on cost and capacity. You can get 3800mAh of the same type but at four or five times the cost. It was only £12 for the 1800mAh and due to it being nimh instead of nicad its likely to take longer to charge and unlikely to fully charge anyway, so anything over 1800 mAh seems pointless.

Ni-MH 4300MAh 1.2v C cells with solder tags used to replace the Ni-Cd originals. Total voltage is 7.2v

Bit of a squeeze with the thick red autowire! should have used something thinner.

How about the original resistor, that was soldered on the charge plug on the bottom of the Naki-Pak? Did you reuse it? I never figured out why it was there in the original pack. Does anyone have an insight on this?

Edited by woolfman

• 2 months later...

Here's the Game Gear Battery pack I ended up modifying for the Lynx also. I basically put a double throw switch on the side of it to swap between Lynx and Game Gear. The photo shows the unit itself, and the old battery which you can just get a replacement for off EBAY or Amazon, a 7.2v racing battery used in Radio Controlled cars - that's what Sega used lol. It's near impossible to get a Ni-Cad battery now, and so you end up putting a Ni-Mh in there which doesnt charge in the same way. Due to the extra capacity you dont lose anything except it takes longer to charge. First test I charged it once and got 3 hours out of it. i then charged it twice back to back and got over 5 hours out of it.

GameGearBattery.jpg

How about the original resistor, that was soldered on the charge plug on the bottom of the Naki-Pak? Did you reuse it? I never figured out why it was there in the original pack. Does anyone have an insight on this?

iirc charging circuits usually have a resistor to avoid overcharging, which causes overheating, which tends to cause exploding batteries, which tends to result in recalls of products.

I was looking into this as well, AA sized Li-ion seem to be 3.7 v, which indicates to me that 2 could be used and be fine, which could leave room for a charger curcuit inside even a Lynx 2, but Li-Ion batteries can be dangerous.

Agreed it would be cool to fit a li-ion battery and charge circuit in the Lynx. The problem is getting a matching battery capable enough mAh with the correct charger. Li-ion batteries can explode as you say.

not to mention there are a lot of cheap Li-ions out there that claim tons of mAh, but not deliver. The little bit of research I have done tells me I would probably want AW Brand 18650 2900mAh.

Would likely have to at least sand down the insides of the battery compartment on the lynx to get it to fit the extra 4mmish of battery diameter, at least with all the space for the usual 6AAs there isnt a length problem, too.

and this as PART of the charger curcuit: http://www.ti.com/li...link/lm3622.pdf

Edited by thucom

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd quickly upload before (white) and after (red) snaps of my battery replacements in the Naki battery pack..

Enjoy.

I am using these NiCads (2400 mAh). They were rather cheap - € 20,- incl shipping, and they´re no pain with soldering, since NiCads are more durable:

https://shop.strato....oducts/wt-78413

I just soldered them one to another using the soldertags, no wires at all. Wasn´t a problem fitting them back into the pack again. Charging them overnight since it should be slower for the first charge (8+ hours with 300 mAh) :-D

Edited by woolfman

• 7 years later...

My Naki Pak has developed a dud battery as I can’t get it to charge beyond 8v and when I plug it into the Lynx the power light flashes indicating low battery and the the games don’t load displaying only a white screen. 
I would like to replace the six original rechargeable batteries but there are no markings on them for me to search for equivalents. 
I want to replace like for like as I can solder without problem. I’m not confident to mod to use circuits for more modern types of rechargeables. 
As this is an old post a lot of the links to battery sellers are dead. 

I looked up some replecements about a year ago. You can easily get cells with exact the same dimensions. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact type. Just search for 1.2V NiCd cells with soldered tabs. And be sure to search for the right diameter and length.

My power pack still delivers enough juice so I have not bothered to buy new cells yet.

• 4 weeks later...

So I managed to get some new cells and replaced the original six with six new Sub C NiCd 1.2v 2400mAh
However I’ve had them on charge for 4hrs and the pack is only reading a voltage of 8.5V which isn’t enough to power the Lynx as I still get the white screen and flashing battery light when I power it up. 
What is the voltage I should be looking at getting once charged for it to power the Lynx?

i can’t figure out what I’m missing!