IGNORED

600XL upgrades

xzerix

Hi Guys,

I need some help, please...

I recently bought a 600XL off of eBay, picked it up tested it - all working. Then opened it and found to my delight that all the chips were socketed! A hardware project in the making.

First things first - upgrade to 64k. I tried bending a pin on the IC living at U5 and broke the off - the IC can be replaced, right?

So, two questions from this (slightly less than competent) amateur modder...

1) I need to replace the IC at U5... is there any difference between an 74LS158 and a 74LS158N IC?

2) If I do this upgrade can I not upgrade the memory futher - i.e. if want an ultimate 1Mb or similar do I a) have to reverse the 64k upgrade, b) leave it in, it's necessary, or c) nope this is the only memory upgrade for a 600xl?

Cheers!

Yes you can replace the chip, is there anything left of the old pin to solder on to? Maybe you could make a repair?

Don't think there is any difference with the N designation.

64k upgrade is the building block for any further upgrading, you will need the upgrade even with the ultimate 1meg upgrade.

Have a search around the forums for my ultimate 600xl moded by Candle.

Ultimate 1 meg, internal sio2pc,covox, stereo pokey, ps/2 keyboard ,vbxe.

Thanks. There's a tiny stub of metal sticking out of the IC housing, probably not enough to make a good contact out of. I think I'll get a new one rather than risking anything.

I'm in the UK so as far as video enhancements go it'd have to be something to connect the monitor socket to an AV setup (red/yellow/white leads)?

Next priority will either be an APE32-in-1 OS or a 1Mb enhancement of sorts, all the easier with a socketed motherboard - I'm definately NOT up to unsoldering (or soldering, for that matter) ICs just yet...

Cool, a fellow brit :)

So, you just need a simple din to av cable, its easy enough to make your own, or Amiga kit sell c64 ones for a fiver, they work perfectly. You could add a resistor and a piece of wire to hook up the missing chroma signal, then you can have s-video.

If you want more RAM and multi OS, just buy candles ultimate 1meg upgrade, it has both, + real time clock.and spartados x

Try looking for "4464 IC" on eBay. I got mine AGES ago, and I think I found them in the US.

Guys, I've out the computer back together with the new memory chips, but without the jumper wires etc - so I still have 16k of RAM, but when I get around one weekend to finishing the upgrade it's one less thing to do :)

Problem now is that I can get the console back together - everything works fine with the keyboard off, but when I try and put everything together there's a big bulge on the right when I try to re-assemble it - is there a knack to doing this?!

Problem now is that I can get the console back together - everything works fine with the keyboard off, but when I try and put everything together there's a big bulge on the right when I try to re-assemble it - is there a knack to doing this?!

It may be like one 600 that I had a while back. It has an extra keyboard connector to extend the ribbon cable. This extra connector needs to be folded over towards the motherboard and taped down, or removed altogether (but this option makes it slightly harder to connect the ribbon cable.

Hope that makes sense