IGNORED

sega master system 2 rarity?

US/Canada master System 2 sales were so low that Sega didn't even track them. NTSC models are rather rare, but not impossible to find. IMO, the black PAL ones looked cooler than the grey NTSC decks.

Rarest one would be the NTSC SMS II with Sonic built-in.

post-25215-0-50291000-1348017113_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

US/Canada master System 2 sales were so low that Sega didn't even track them. NTSC models are rather rare, but not impossible to find. IMO, the black PAL ones looked cooler than the grey NTSC decks.

Rarest one would be the NTSC SMS II with Sonic built-in.

there is a deal for one on ebay right now, but its 375 bucks... overpriced!!!!

there is a deal for one on ebay right now, but its 375 bucks... overpriced!!!!

The one I have pictured, I bought new on clearance for $40 back in '92. :)

Try to find controllers made in Japan or Taiwan. The China ones have really twitchy directional control.

Edited by zylon

$70 was what I ended up paying on ebay for my SMS II USA model with Alex Kidd built in. I was able to sell it to someone else for the exact same price. You can tell the USA units from the European units because it has a gray shell instead of all black. I just lost interest in even having an SMS hooked up because of the Everdive MD being able to run the games even on a Genesis 2.

I just lost interest in even having an SMS hooked up because of the Everdive MD being able to run the games even on a Genesis 2.

This is true, but the SG-1000 library on the Master Everdrive makes it kind of special. I know it's not for everybody, but it's kind of like having "Colecovision II" to play these games.

On the StoneAgeGamer website, under Mega Everdrive (the $210 flashcart for Genesis) it says, "A few things that may be added via OS updates in the future: FM sound support for SMS games." I wonder if this means the Mega Everdrive will play SG-1000 games (with sound) too?

Another option to play SMS games is to get a megadrive/Genesis 1 and use a MasterSystem adapter. It's what I do and I get a much better picture / playing experience than with using the SMS itself.The problem with this is that F-16 Fighter is incompatible with the adapter (although most people don't like it anyway).

On the StoneAgeGamer website, under Mega Everdrive (the $210 flashcart for Genesis) it says, "A few things that may be added via OS updates in the future: FM sound support for SMS games." I wonder if this means the Mega Everdrive will play SG-1000 games (with sound) too?

No. Just... no. The Genesis' video hardware lacks the video mode required by SG-1000 games, so while you can hear them and control them, you won't be able to see anything. I've tried using an SG-1000 game I converted for use on a modified v1.3 Master System and that's exactly what I got: sound, controls, but no video. FM sound is for Master System games with support for the Yamaha YM2413 FM Synthesis chip. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an FPGA-simulated or software-emulated YM2413 as not a single software emulator can faithfully reproduce the YM2413 (they're all off). Even a counterfeit YM2413 is more faithful to the original Yamaha chip than that. I say you're better off getting a YM2413 (counterfeit or legit, though the counterfeit ones have some differences in the tuning of certain instruments and have VERY noisy audio output, however, there is one particular YM2413 clone, the UM3567, which is supposed to be a 1:1 replica of the YM2413, but it's a bigger chip and the audio appears to be considerably louder than the real YM2413) and integrating it within a Master System converter or your Mega EverDrive (the latter would most likely be near-impossible due to space issues as you not only need the YM2413, but also several other chips in order for the YM2413 to work).