IGNORED

WM's Magical Game Factory: ProjectY for Mega Drive/Genesis

108 Stars

I paid in full for this game sometime between 2015 and 2017.  At this point I don't care if i ever get it; sounds like they released a buggy piece of crap that will fry your console or your TV or your sega CD so they could hang onto the money anyway.  I will never do business with these people again no matter what they release, under Watermelon or any other name.  They are the reason i don't pre-pay for anything anymore; even if it means i miss out on it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I paid in full for this game sometime between 2015 and 2017.  At this point I don't care if i ever get it; sounds like they released a buggy piece of crap that will fry your console or your TV or your sega CD so they could hang onto the money anyway.  I will never do business with these people again no matter what they release, under Watermelon or any other name.  They are the reason i don't pre-pay for anything anymore; even if it means i miss out on it. 

I've not heard of the game causing anything to fry or damage a console. Just that some people have reported issues with the game not working on their particular model Genesis systems. That is why my hardware thread I created for this is to try and help isolate if we can figure out a specific model or models that have issues. I have noticed however that the game cartridge itself does get quite warm after playing it a while. That might indicate it doesn't have the proper level shifters in it for the voltage but I don't know the specifics.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 10:21 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Ordered!! This game is going to be so epic.

Genesis is the King of Beat em' ups!!

And Magical Game factory is keeping the dream alive, so happy to have new 16 bit stuff to buy :)

A much more idealistic me...three years ago haha.  We can anyone who has it report if it's fun to play? 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My copy FINALLY arrived yesterday, so for those of you still waiting don’t give up hope just yet. But it took a full two months from the time I confirmed my shipping address on Watermelon’s website to receive it. Ugh, those guys really need to get their act together. The quality of their packaging and presentation is top notch though. However, my cartridge has one of the loose serial number plates inside so it sounds like a small coin is rattling around in it. It’s annoying but doesn’t seem to affect the game’s performance. Although it plays fine on my HD Graphics first model Genesis, the Mega SG won’t advance past the mini game. And that’s a damn shame because it’s by far my preferred method of playing original carts these days. And my Retro Freak won’t recognize the cart at all. So I have to set up my original system on my tube tv to enjoy this one game. Just keep this in mind if you were wanting to enjoy this game on a modern flatscreen.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, Scotterpop said:

My copy FINALLY arrived yesterday, so for those of you still waiting don’t give up hope just yet. But it took a full two months from the time I confirmed my shipping address on Watermelon’s website to receive it. Ugh, those guys really need to get their act together. The quality of their packaging and presentation is top notch though. However, my cartridge has one of the loose serial number plates inside so it sounds like a small coin is rattling around in it. It’s annoying but doesn’t seem to affect the game’s performance. Although it plays fine on my HD Graphics first model Genesis, the Mega SG won’t advance past the mini game. And that’s a damn shame because it’s by far my preferred method of playing original carts these days. And my Retro Freak won’t recognize the cart at all. So I have to set up my original system on my tube tv to enjoy this one game. Just keep this in mind if you were wanting to enjoy this game on a modern flatscreen.

That metal plate is conductive so you need to either find a way to reattach it using some hot glue on the edges or remove it from the cartridge completely. Just because it hasn't seem to do anything yet, doesn't mean it can't situate itself in a way to short against something and cause issues to both the game and your console.

1 hour ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Do you NEED to confirm your shipping address in order to receive the game?  Mine hasn't changed since i ordered it. 

Yes.

When I got the email notification back in December, I clicked on the link and had to login to view the order and essentially confirm it. My order about 2 weeks ago I think? Has now finally changed to completed although I received my copy of the game from WM back at the end of December. So I think it was only about 2 weeks if that, from the time I confirmed to receiving mine at the mail box.

I received the game pre-order as a gift; so i let the person who ordered it for me know.  The only way to contact them is by putting in a "ticket" so just asked them to do that and praying it works.  This whole system and release was pretty messed up.  I feel bad for the dozens of people (possibly myself included) who will never get their copy that they fully paid for years ago. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I hope that Watermelon Magic and Magical Game Factory learns something from this.

Well, seeing the hell this guy went through to release it, I'm surprised we got anything at all. He's kind of nuts, but I don't know, he won me over I guess... #LOCUSTERY

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Well, seeing the hell this guy went through to release it, I'm surprised we got anything at all. He's kind of nuts, but I don't know, he won me over I guess... #LOCUSTERY

The guy is obviously a very talented developer. He’s just an awful businessman. I think he should only handle the creative side of his company and let someone with better organizational and communication skills helm the financial and PR portions. If the information in that video would have been disseminated to the backers during development and not after it was finally released then I would have a very different opinion of Fonzie and his team. But keeping your investors completely in the dark over several years is never going to be an acceptable practice no matter how good the finished product is. I had completely written off ever getting this game because I had lost all confidence in the people making it. And any company that would let their customers get to that point doesn’t deserve your good faith investment. So I will never, ever give Watermelon another dime to fund any future project. I’ll be more than happy to purchase more games from them in the future because of their incredibly high quality, but only once they are finished and readily available in a storefront. I do sympathize with all the misfortune he had to endure to finish this game, but a little communication to his investors could have turned him into the underdog hero instead of the uncaring narcissist that he now comes off as. But that’s what happens when you let a frustrated internet tell your story instead of controlling the narrative yourself, you know, by telling people what the hell is going on. I think that’s the real takeaway here.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Scotterpop said:

The guy is obviously a very talented developer. He’s just an awful businessman. I think he should only handle the creative side of his company and let someone with better organizational and communication skills helm the financial and PR portions. If the information in that video would have been disseminated to the backers during development and not after it was finally released then I would have a very different opinion of Fonzie and his team. But keeping your investors completely in the dark over several years is never going to be an acceptable practice no matter how good the finished product is. I had completely written off ever getting this game because I had lost all confidence in the people making it. And any company that would let their customers get to that point doesn’t deserve your good faith investment. So I will never, ever give Watermelon another dime to fund any future project. I’ll be more than happy to purchase more games from them in the future because of their incredibly high quality, but only once they are finished and readily available in a storefront. I do sympathize with all the misfortune he had to endure to finish this game, but a little communication to his investors could have turned him into the underdog hero instead of the uncaring narcissist that he now comes off as. But that’s what happens when you let a frustrated internet tell your story instead of controlling the narrative yourself, you know, by telling people what the hell is going on. I think that’s the real takeaway here.

I don't know man, it was kind of a lose lose...there WAS communication up until 2018...but it sounds like any communication after that would have just been him telling us we are NOT getting a game. I doubt he would come off as a hero for saying that...

I don't know if I'd go as far as awful businessman, the guy has easily moved tens of thousands of games and done a million+ in sales...thats pretty good for "homebrews" most people struggle hard to sell 100 copies of a game lol.

He doesn't expand much on the paypal thing that basically shut him down in 2018, probably due to legal action/etc.. but it sounds like the taxman  might have got him if I had to take a guess. Right around that time is when paypal started heavily enforcing taxes. The IRS will close accounts, seize assets and leave you pennyless...they are like a "mafia" lol

Sounds to me after 2 years of dealing with paypal seizing all the money for whatever reason he just paid for all the remaining cost with credit cards and personal loans and got us our games. I'd say that's pretty heroic. Far more heroic than making a public announcement we weren't getting anything lol.

I'm sure a lot of people will piss and moan about never doing business with them again but if you check ebay right now the game I paid 50 bucks for is selling consistently at $300-$400+  I would say a 500% or more return on your money is a fair enough "sorry" but I get it, it's the principle...

I don't know, the guy is obviously passionate about making great games for us...it's clearly not about the money or he would have just walked....I say he gets a pass ;) I'll order in the future (if there is one after this...)

Yep; turn out i ordered AND paid in 2017.  They never emailed me back to confirm my shipping address.  I just reached out to them, starting a "ticket" on their website with my order number and payment info, confirmed my address, etc. and asked for my copy.  Have heard nothing back yet but hoping i do in the next few days.  ANY other way to reach out to them?  Anyone have a phone number or an email address? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.44.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.44.15 PM.png

17 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Yep; turn out i ordered AND paid in 2017.  They never emailed me back to confirm my shipping address.  I just reached out to them, starting a "ticket" on their website with my order number and payment info, confirmed my address, etc. and asked for my copy.  Have heard nothing back yet but hoping i do in the next few days.  ANY other way to reach out to them?  Anyone have a phone number or an email address? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.44.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.44.15 PM.png

There’s a phone number that was included in their last email communication, so that might be a good place to start. If you didn’t get that email, just message me and I can forward it to you. I do hope that you’re able to get your copy soon as it is truly a fantastic game.

The content of that email isn’t very encouraging though. They mention having to actually sell their IPs to help raise funds to continue operations. They do sound intent on fulfilling all orders so that’s a good sign. 

On 2/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, Crazy Climber said:

I don't know, the guy is obviously passionate about making great games for us...it's clearly not about the money or he would have just walked....I say he gets a pass ;) I'll order in the future (if there is one after this...)

You’re obviously a lot more forgiving than I am... and a lot more patient! Don’t get me wrong, I’m absolutely thrilled to finally have this game. And it’s a remarkable achievement, definitely worth the wait. So maybe I’m not giving Watermelon enough credit for their perseverance and commitment to finally getting this game released. I guess I just need to adjust my expectations when it comes to crowdfunded projects like this. They did eventually deliver and that’s what really matters. I do sincerely hope that they can resolve their financial issues and continue releasing more amazing games in the future. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

That metal plate is conductive so you need to either find a way to reattach it using some hot glue on the edges or remove it from the cartridge completely. Just because it hasn't seem to do anything yet, doesn't mean it can't situate itself in a way to short against something and cause issues to both the game and your console.

I've got a "rattler" too...Do you know what socket/tool I need to open this thing? My entire machine shop, and the hardware store, have nothing lol. Its an unusual, shallow little bit. I agree with you and don't feel comfortable running this cartridge with a conductive chuck of metal flapping around...unlikely BUT if it falls in just the right spot...game over ;) I've had machines at work go down because of similar problems. 

• Like 1