IGNORED

WM's Magical Game Factory: ProjectY for Mega Drive/Genesis

108 Stars

ProjectY

mo9p2lj6j9jh.jpg

It's ProjectY - the RPB you've been waiting for since the 90s! WIP @ 's Magical Game Factory.

The Origins

For the first time ever, fans of retro consoles are getting exactly the game they want! And they want a RPB!

Investors, as they are called, have used their voting power to shape ProjectY to their own liking.

Their first poll result was to make a game for the Mega Drive/Genesis. Then came the decision to make the game a RPB (Role-Playing-Brawler). The final big turn for the project was the setting, which the investors decided should be cyberpunk.

With these defining poll results, ProjectY started to take shape while additional minor polls followed. Development is currently ongoing; you can still join ProjectY and shape the game by voting, submitting your ideas and discussing the project on the boards!

lxcf9dkm5jf.png

40MEG

Obtained with fervor by the investors, we can guarantee the game will have a bare minimum 40 megabits cartridge. ProjectY is joining the small club of High Density Cartridges (also known as the "big, black cartridges"). This will be at least the second biggest Mega Drive/Genesis game ever, after WaterMelon's own Pier Solar! With this much storage at our disposal, we can make the ultimate 16-bit beat 'em all!

Also obtained by the investors, the game will feature four playable characters, one of them to be unlocked.

c94xfj8moow.png

The Context

ProjectY takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, set in an Asian high-tech metropolis. The last survivors of the nuclear war are divided into several classes, where the most powerful have the others by the balls. This has divided the governing bodies into several fractions, where ethnic mafias and a corrupt corporation are just a few of them! As you can see, this story is filled with many possible scenarios. It will demand lots of exploring and several playthroughs to get everything out of it.

cy2jwispbra.png

WHY SHOULD I JOIN AND INVEST?

How do I join a project?

If a project is open to join, you can join by investing at least one GEM into the project.

What are GEMS? How much do they cost?

GEMS are Watermelon's currency. As for now, one GEM is equal to 10 cents (USD) with the possibility of changing later on.

You can use GEMS to invest in a project. If you earn some GEMS, you can use them to get discounts on products, get coupons, etc.

What do I get for my investment in a project?

Magical Game Factory investments offer access to voting and conversion features.

How much do I have to invest to save myself one copy of the game?

500GEMS (USD 50) for one edition of the game reserved exclusively to Investors.

More information on http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/

Edited by 108 Stars

No, not yet. Still a year to go till the game gets released, it's too early. We still had polls going about the game short time ago.

The concept of the MGF is that people invest money in a project up front to finance development (if you invest 50 Dollars you will also get a copy of the game when it's released), and for your early investment you can suggest game features and vote for things in polls.

For example the genre, Mega Drive as the system, the cart size and the style have all been decided on by the fans.

This could have been a dating sim on SNES with cute super deformed characters if the investors had decided so.

But naturally, since the polls just ended now (though there may still be minor new ones) and so much is decided in them we can not present in-game stuff yet. It takes a while to take all the results into the game.

The artwork you see here is the latest stuff we have to show atm. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another screenshot, agan I don't know if this is from a box or whatever...

gvpb.jpg

And an official pic here, depicting the evolution of the game's sprites, and comparing them to the sprites from Streets of Rage 2. ProjectY's are notably bigger as you see. And the black silhouette on the right is from a sprite of ProjectY as well, so that is the actual sprite size of a jumbo character.

w9sfzhh9a4hx.png

Nothing in motion yet though.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow,This looks sweet and it's already got 2 years work on it, this really is going to be a labor of love!

Why am I only hearing about this now?

*EDIT*

Am I reading the site right in that I missed a due date, and even if I invest 500 GEMS now it DOESN'T get me a copy of the game?

Can I even invest anymore?

It mentions a lock down on investors... why wouldn't you want more investment money?

Edited by Torr

I'm not 100% on this answer but...

- The initial investors, the ones that invested when it was just a concept and had nothing but a vague description get whats called a "posterity" edition that is a little special because you will likely wait like 5 years for it and initially just blindly threw money at a concept :) It is a little incentive to invest early, and investments for that bonus is locked down now.

- Once the game gets a little closer to completion, they will announce pre orders and you can then get one. The difference here is it will not be a posterity edition but you will have screen shots, gameplay vids, full discriptions, etc to decide if it's a game you want to purchase and not have to wait anywhere near as long where as the in the initial investors case, you really had nothing to go on. Watermelon just said "we are making a beat em up" and we said "ok, here is money" lol

Edited by Crazy Climber

OK, as long as I can get a copy when it IS released is my main concern...

It sounded kind of like money intake was done and a specific quantity was/is being made for the people that already invested.

Which just didn't seem right, as long as there's demand you should supply!

OK, as long as I can get a copy when it IS released is my main concern...

It sounded kind of like money intake was done and a specific quantity was/is being made for the people that already invested.

Which just didn't seem right, as long as there's demand you should supply!

Yeah, I think the posterity investors are kind of used as start up money. Gives them the funds to get the ball rolling and the reward for waiting a really really long time is a rare posterity edition. You also get to take part in polls/etc that determine what the game will be like, I think you get your name in the manual or something also, can't remember...

If they opened full on pre orders in 2012 though and didn't have the game done until 2017 just imagine the amount of complaints and demanded refunds. The "posterity" investor generally understands that at the time of investment it's still just a concept or idea and there will be a LONG road until release :)

I imagine the first actual run of these (excluding posterity editions) will probably be at least 500 so as long as you check in now and then you shouldn't miss it.

These are all just guesses though, I have no affiliation with Watermelon games other than being a fan and pretty much buying everything they have ever made, lol

• 2 years later...

Project y is now Paprium, it is time to bring this thread back from the dead.
Paprium is going to be two player's, it will also come on a 64meg cart just like Pier Solar, extra space for more content.
rdQUcvR.jpgrSk3bMu.jpg
www.Paprium.com is now active and pre order's will be starting soon. www.magicalgamefactory.com is also a good place to stay up to date with new info.

Two editions of the game will be available to non backers, the limited edition(like the investor version minus a few thing's like the combbook, nice sturdy strong cardboard like the first edition of Pier Solar) and the classic edition. (clamshell like the Pier Solar reprint) A limited six button arcade still will also be available in limited quantities to the public.
mYQLclv.jpgJhOBNcf.jpg
When i have more information to give i will post it. Here is also a teaster that was released in 2015, a new trailer will be release soon to help jump start preorder's.

Edited by zredgemz

Yes sir, this is a quote from the MGF

We've all once dreamed about it, WM achieved it!

PAPRIUM features the DT128M16VA1LT semiconductor. The original Mega Drive / SEGA Genesis hardware strengths are perfected, the minor weakness fully corrected.

The 16-bit experience has never been so perfect: The features, so rich; The audio, so crisp; The MEG power, so intimidating

After more than 4 epic years of development, WaterMelon Games is proud to present its new 16-Bit game: PAPRIUM (code-name: "ProjectY"), a postapocalyptic, outrageous, street brawler. PAPRIUM has been crafted at WM's Magical Game Factory using Investor’s votes and suggestions. PAPRIUM has been developed by a team driven by true passion and 16-Bit excellence.
Year 8A2, somewhere at equidistant point between Shanghai, Tokyo and Pyongyang, a Megapolis rose from ashes of the shortest but most devastating nuclear war in history, its name is PAPRIUM. BRUTAL, MASSIVE. You will fight your way through the city with Tug, Alex and Dice. Redefine the word justice, deal with the BLU drug temptation, and more importantly: STAY ALIVE!

Nothing's too grand for the ultimate Mega Drive/Genesis game:
Size Shock: 80-MEG, +24 Levels, +5 Playable Characters!
Speed Shock: Uncompromized 60fps advanced 16-bit visuals.
Sound Shock: 48Khz x 24 channels (FM, PSG, DT128M16VA1LT).

No detail has been compromized:
1 or 2 simultaneous player gameplay.
Multiple game modes.
Three save slots for a unseen-before brawler size.

PAPRIUM is available for pre-order in two outstanding editions:
LIMITED edition, available in three regions (Japanese, Usa, Europe).
CLASSIC edition, black clamshell box with black grid design.

Each edition includes the original 80-MEG game cartridge, a full color instruction manual, quality box, multiple goodies and extras. Game is compatible with both PAL and NTSC original Mega Drive / SEGA Genesis game system. Game is region-lock free.

Edited by zredgemz