IGNORED

Star Raiders

therealbountybob

I'm starting a thread for Star Raiders (like the one for Alternate Reality: The City which has been running for several years now) this one is for anyone wanting to play and post their rankings, progress, strategies etc. You do not have to be a regular HSC player to post here ;)

I had played The Last Starfighter & S.R.II but could never quite figure out how to play S.R. until now! (yes I had a copy and no instructions!)

Thanks to Deteacher for getting me interested (see below). I've just completed Novice, making 'Ensign Class 1' after a few plays; I'm looking forward to progressing through the dificulty levels over the next weeks and months...

post-19705-0-74854900-1348393400.jpg

>>>

Star Raiders: Commander Level! :)

Hi stranger :thumbsup:

Can you post a real quick guide to playing S.R. as it might help a few people get into it (like me) and then it might get a vote this time :-D

Here is a link to the manual: http://www.atarimani...iders_4992.html

But here's the gist:

Hit 'S' for shields, 'C' for attack computer and 'T' for tracking computer.

Press 'G' for the galactic map. Move your cursor to the sector you want to travel to.

Once you've selected the sector, press 'F' to return to the forward view and press 'H' to hyperwarp. Keep the cursor in the center of the crosshairs during hyperwarp (or as close as possible.)

If you get a 'red alert' warning, there are zylons in that sector. Use the long range scanner (by pressing 'L') and the computer display to zero in on your target and blast them with your photon torpedoes. If you take serious damage, go back to the map and select a sector with a starbase (looks like a big asterisk) and hyperwarp. Dock with the starbase for repairs and energy replenishment. Then get back to the fight. Zylons are not only trying to kill you, but they're trying to surround and destroy your starbases.

There's so much more to this, but that's the main idea. Kill or be killed. This is, in my opinion, the best outer space flight/fight simulator for this machine, hands down. :)

Started play on Pilot - you can call me Garbage Scow :D getting hammered to bits but enjoying it! Anyone got any tips for finding a starbase when your computers are fried? I can get to the sector but without computer or scanner is it just a case of flying around in hope?

Might have a go on the hacked version without the movement slow down during the explosions ;)

A couple Atariage links:

Star Raiders Was It Ever Fixed?

New Star Raiders version from Stefan Dorndorf

There's a technique where you can use the long-range scanner in what can best be described as a backup mode. It's kinda long for me to describe it here, but there is an article on it. You might be able to find it at the star raiders tribute site. I also do not have the link to it handy so you better google it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I got ya into it, TRBB! In my opinion, this is the best space battle simulator for the 8-bit. Sure, Last Starfighter is great too, but this one really has everything you'd expect when operating a star battle cruiser. I'm going to have to give it a go tonight when I get home. :)

Started play on Pilot - you can call me Garbage Scow :D getting hammered to bits but enjoying it! Anyone got any tips for finding a starbase when your computers are fried? I can get to the sector but without computer or scanner is it just a case of flying around in hope?

Might have a go on the hacked version without the movement slow down during the explosions ;)

A couple Atariage links:

Star Raiders Was It Ever Fixed?

New Star Raiders version from Stefan Dorndorf

If your computer and long range scanners are both kaput, and if I remember correctly, you can still use the little "enemy" scanner in the bottom right hand corner to find your starbase. Just move left/right and up/down until the target is lined up dead center. Then fire up the engines and move in to intercept. If your engines are shot too, and you're too far away still, use your hyperwarp drive to move in close. Remember to abort hyperwarp as you close in, or else you'll fly right by it. :)

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm been playing Star Raiders for years and recently achieved Star Commander Class 1 !!

So cadets, it would be my honor to hone you all into great pilots as we fight off those fracking Zylons!!

Edited by doctorclu

I'm been playing Star Raiders for years and recently achived Star Commander Class 1 !!

So cadets, it would be my honor to hone you all into great pilots as we fight off those fracking Zylons!!

and the rest of those 5200 guys :D

Great :thumbsup: I'll take another bash soon. If we can get enough interest we can run a table here too :)

• 2 months later...