IGNORED

Config files to use with various Intellivision titles

intvnut

I put a couple files up on Google Docs that might help people trying to get binaries working with jzIntv.

Instructions:

• If the file's name has any spaces, consider removing the spaces. jzIntv has no problems with spaces in filenames, but the same can't be said of all the other software in the system.
  • If the binary file is an odd number of bytes, it's probably a .ROM file. (Exception: If it's a multiple of 4096 plus one byte, it's a .BIN file that came from a particular website that added a mystery byte to their ROM images.)
    • Rename to with the extension .ROM and try the file. If it works, stop there.
    • If not, let's try it as a .BIN, and rename the file's extension to ".bin"

[*]Look up the game title in the config list spreadsheet here: Intellivision Game Memory Maps Make a note of the memory map number in the rightmost column.

[*]Copy the corresponding configuration file from this set of generic configurations to the same name as the game, only with .cfg as the extension.

Example: You're trying to get diner.bin to work. Looking at the file size, it's 32768 bytes, so it's a .BIN file. Looking it up in the spreadsheet, you see it takes memory map #2. So, copy "2.cfg" from the ZIP file to "diner.cfg" et voila! It should start working.

Example 2: You're trying to get diner.bin to work, but its file size 32829. That's most likely a .ROM file someone had renamed .BIN. Rename it to .ROM and it should start working.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I put a couple files up on Google Docs that might help people trying to get binaries working with jzIntv.

Instructions:

• If the file's name has any spaces, consider removing the spaces. jzIntv has no problems with spaces in filenames, but the same can't be said of all the other software in the system.
  • If the binary file is an odd number of bytes, it's probably a .ROM file. (Exception: If it's a multiple of 4096 plus one byte, it's a .BIN file that came from a particular website that added a mystery byte to their ROM images.)
    • Rename to with the extension .ROM and try the file. If it works, stop there.
    • If not, let's try it as a .BIN, and rename the file's extension to ".bin"

[*]Look up the game title in the config list spreadsheet here: Intellivision Game Memory Maps Make a note of the memory map number in the rightmost column.

[*]Copy the corresponding configuration file from this set of generic configurations to the same name as the game, only with .cfg as the extension.

Example: You're trying to get diner.bin to work. Looking at the file size, it's 32768 bytes, so it's a .BIN file. Looking it up in the spreadsheet, you see it takes memory map #2. So, copy "2.cfg" from the ZIP file to "diner.cfg" et voila! It should start working.

Example 2: You're trying to get diner.bin to work, but its file size 32829. That's most likely a .ROM file someone had renamed .BIN. Rename it to .ROM and it should start working.

this is awesome. just to make a note to people doing this. if you have more than one rom version of a game, it may only work on one version of the rom. also curious about 4tris, is there a rom that shows the next block, or was it removed on rom releases?i only ask cause i play it all the time.it is a sweet game.

this is awesome. just to make a note to people doing this. if you have more than one rom version of a game, it may only work on one version of the rom.

If you know of any examples, please share. I'm not aware of any ROM variants that need different memory maps. Exception: "Thin Ice" vs. "Duncan's Thin Ice" vs. "Vookcho's Thin Ice"... those are three different games, really.

also curious about 4tris, is there a rom that shows the next block, or was it removed on rom releases?i only ask cause i play it all the time.it is a sweet game.

Press '4' to toggle next block display.

If you know of any examples, please share. I'm not aware of any ROM variants that need different memory maps. Exception: "Thin Ice" vs. "Duncan's Thin Ice" vs. "Vookcho's Thin Ice"... those are three different games, really.

Hmm i already have cmart syndrome with regards to variants, no i feel i developing intvnut syndrome trying to understand this rom thing, and the variants that exist as these rom.

I think he may mean something released by Atarisoft or Imagic, then re-released by Intv Productions.

I think he may mean something released by Atarisoft or Imagic, then re-released by Intv Productions.

Are you thinking maybe of Pac-Man? I think that's the only prominent title that was released by Atarisoft and re-released by INTV with notable differences. Both have the same memory map ($5000 - $7FFF).

Fun fact: Both also have the MOBs to mask out the Atari logo actually active and visible on the title screen, and the rest of the Atari logo is in GRAM when you reach the title screen. They just don't put it in BACKTAB. They really did the absolute minimum to hack out the Atari on the title screen.

Are you thinking maybe of Pac-Man? I think that's the only prominent title that was released by Atarisoft and re-released by INTV with notable differences. Both have the same memory map ($5000 - $7FFF).

Yes, Pac-Man. In an old post I saw in the INTV-Prog list it shows as both having different maps.

Fun fact: Both also have the MOBs to mask out the Atari logo actually active and visible on the title screen, and the rest of the Atari logo is in GRAM when you reach the title screen. They just don't put it in BACKTAB. They really did the absolute minimum to hack out the Atari on the title screen.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Yes, Pac-Man. In an old post I saw in the INTV-Prog list it shows as both having different maps.

Really? There was a hack I made that allows Pac-Man to work with the ECS by relocating some code from $7000 - $70FF to another location, but otherwise Atarisoft and INTV Pac-Man both are $5000 - $7FFF.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Fire both up in jzIntv's debugger and run until the title screen is displayed. Then examine GRAM, STIC and BACKTAB with the commands "m3800 200", "m0 18", "m200 F0". You'll see only the BACKTAB differs between the two. The GRAM image is the same and the MOB image is the same.

If you then go to the INTV version and set the colors non-black on the MOBs, you can see the framing MOBs they used to make the three-stripe Atari symbol on the title screen. Just add 1 to all the values you see in locations $10 to $17. Poke the new values in with the poke command: ie. "p10 8E1", "p11 8F1", etc. The "poke" command will work whether or not the STIC registers are writeable.

Edited by intvnut

Thank you very much for this. Is there a way to save this files as .doc or .txt files? Thank you very much.

You should be able to download the spreadsheet from Google docs. Look under the "File" menu on Google Docs for "Download As." It offers both spreadsheet and text formats.

Edited by intvnut

Really? There was a hack I made that allows Pac-Man to work with the ECS by relocating some code from $7000 - $70FF to another location, but otherwise Atarisoft and INTV Pac-Man both are $5000 - $7FFF.

Fire both up in jzIntv's debugger and run until the title screen is displayed. Then examine GRAM, STIC and BACKTAB with the commands "m3800 200", "m0 18", "m200 F0". You'll see only the BACKTAB differs between the two. The GRAM image is the same and the MOB image is the same.

If you then go to the INTV version and set the colors non-black on the MOBs, you can see the framing MOBs they used to make the three-stripe Atari symbol on the title screen. Just add 1 to all the values you see in locations $10 to $17. Poke the new values in with the poke command: ie. "p10 8E1", "p11 8F1", etc. The "poke" command will work whether or not the STIC registers are writeable.

Oh I see! I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were talking just about the ArariSoft version; you were actually comparing that one against the INTV version. Interesting!

Thanks

I went to check out an old friend yesterday, and it seems our Mattel - INTV productions varients did not stop with INTV carts... For example, I saw Lock 'n Chase cartridges for the Atari 2600 done with three different labels, the traditional M-Network, the INTV White Label, and a Blue label... Was nice to take a walk down memory road like that.

league of light i believe was one of them

Hmmm... I'm only familiar with one version of League of Light, and it fits into the standard Mattel 8K memory map. It doesn't even need a .CFG.

I went to check out an old friend yesterday, and it seems our Mattel - INTV productions varients did not stop with INTV carts... For example, I saw Lock 'n Chase cartridges for the Atari 2600 done with three different labels, the traditional M-Network, the INTV White Label, and a Blue label... Was nice to take a walk down memory road like that.

Fortunately (?) most of those are just label variants (in some cases to cover up / remove logos for which INTV didn't have the license), not actual ROM variants.

intvnut, this is a bit of a tangent, but have you ever found a ROM variant for Hover Force? I've encountered at least one copy that wouldn't boot on my Intellivision despite numerous cleanings, but immediately booted on someone else's...after I'd sent it to them for free!

I know other people have had similar problems with Hover Force, so maybe this is one like Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey, i.e. incompatible with certain systems (though my copy wasn't tested on an Intellivision II, but just a plain ol' Inty I).

intvnut, this is a bit of a tangent, but have you ever found a ROM variant for Hover Force? I've encountered at least one copy that wouldn't boot on my Intellivision despite numerous cleanings, but immediately booted on someone else's...after I'd sent it to them for free!

I know other people have had similar problems with Hover Force, so maybe this is one like Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey, i.e. incompatible with certain systems (though my copy wasn't tested on an Intellivision II, but just a plain ol' Inty I).

I haven't, but I wouldn't mind the opportunity to dump one or more someday.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this topic's a bit old, and this game's on the bottom of the importance list because it's just a mash-up of existing games, but I think Triple Challenge is mapped wrong. Using Config 4, it won't even load. It makes sense to me to use one with extra ram, and that maps the block switching for the 3 games... so config 2 or 9. (3's like 9 but without the extra RAM.) Funny enough using 2, it adds Reversi to the menu (Quadruple Challenge?), but the game won't load. So looks like 9 is it - BUT, chess isn't playable on 9 (or 3 or 2 for that matter, either). So, I'm guessing it needs a different config file besides these 9.

Edited by jbellanca

I know this topic's a bit old, and this game's on the bottom of the importance list because it's just a mash-up of existing games, but I think Triple Challenge is mapped wrong. Using Config 4, it won't even load. It makes sense to me to use one with extra ram, and that maps the block switching for the 3 games... so config 2 or 9. (3's like 9 but without the extra RAM.) Funny enough using 2, it adds Reversi to the menu (Quadruple Challenge?), but the game won't load. So looks like 9 is it - BUT, chess isn't playable on 9 (or 3 or 2 for that matter, either). So, I'm guessing it needs a different config file besides these 9.

I believe you are correct. Here's what I actually have for tripchal.cfg locally.

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $5000
$2000 - $3FFF = $9000
$4000 - $47FF = $C000
$4800 - $57FF = $D000  

[memattr]
$D000 - $D3FF = RAM 8

and I'm pretty sure that $4800 - $57FF ROM segment need not be there. I guess I need to fix that...

EDIT: Aha... wait a minute.

I have TWO dumps of Triple Challenge, one of which has extra crap in it (tripchal.bin) and one of which is "clean" (tripchlb.bin). The dump with extra crap in it is 45058 bytes, while the cleaned up dump is only 32768 bytes. The clean dump uses config #9. The crappy dump uses the config above.

Edited by intvnut

heres what i have for triple challenge

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $5000
$2000 - $3FFF = $9000
$4000 - $57FF = $C000

I believe you are correct. Here's what I actually have for tripchal.cfg locally.

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $5000
$2000 - $3FFF = $9000
$4000 - $47FF = $C000
$4800 - $57FF = $D000  

[memattr]
$D000 - $D3FF = RAM 8

and I'm pretty sure that $4800 - $57FF ROM segment need not be there. I guess I need to fix that...

according to mine its 47FF that is not needed. i dont have [mematter] info either