IGNORED

Pre-Order 1200XL PAL GTIA Adapter

Dropcheck

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..... Wait a minute, I have to clear the flashback out of my head. Now lets start again. :)

Several months ago flashjazzcat approached me about creating a board that would in effect convert a US NTSC 1200XL to a PAL version.

One of the sticking points in previous attempts had been the fact that the 1200XL didn't have a PAL version. It was strictly a NTSC

machine and as such did not have the additional circuitry to use a PAL GTIA chip properly. Somewhere in the distant past flashjazzcat had come

up with a schematic to overcome that shortcoming. He believes Beetle may have originally designed it, but is not sure. Attempts to

contact Beetle and confirm have been unsuccessful. After much going back and forth and engaging Candle, flashjazzcat and tf_hh in

troubleshooting, testing and veryifing I believe I have created a board that will allow a PAL GTIA to be installed and work.

Now the caveat.....

Major mods will need to be done to a stock 1200XL before my little device even comes into play. Although these mods are not hard, they

are not for the fainthearted.

They are:

Mod motherboard for 800XL OS/MMU/Basic per http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/105148-new-twist-on-a-very-good-1200xl-upgrade/page__p__1274137?do=findComment&comment=1274137

Connect pin 14 of XL MMU to +5V per tf_hh

Replace Y1 with CO16112 or equivilent frequency divider circuit for persons with VBXE

Replace NTSC ANTIC with PAL ANTIC chip

Remove NTSC GTIA chip from socket

Then my little board:

Plug PAL GTIA into 1200XL PAL GTIA adapter board

Plug adapter board into GTIA socket on motherboard

A tested prototype is done and I am ready to offer a limited run of the board. Initially I am limiting it to a total of 20 boards to keep the

project manageble. I need to sell and have paid orders for at least 10 completed boards to make the run. The rest can be populated or not as you wish. I will source Y1 for you and include 1 per completed board you order if you wish. Of course once this run is done if there is enough demand

I will go again. As I did with my Ultimate 1mb MMU adapter board I will post a webpage with orders and status. The order window will stay open

for two weeks.

PM me for payment info and shipping costs to your location.

Time line once order window closes:

Order Board and parts and recieve it: about 3 weeks

Board assembly: about 2 weeks

Shipping: ?

Total Time: about 4-5 weeks + shipping time

I will offer the board in two versions.

Populated (with Y1 crsytal if requested) $25.00

Bareboard (will come with part #s) $10.00

Shipping costs will depend on method and location.

Below is the picture of the prototype. The production board will look very much the same.

DSC_1368.jpg

DSC_1367.jpg

I don't suppose I'm particularly interested in making a 1200XL PAL (I don't have a 1200XL yet, but I want one), but I just want to complement you on your skill and ingenuity. I'm sure I couldn't understand all that it actually entails, but from a layman's perspective, it's still impressive!

Maybe if this goes well, in the future you could come up with something to go the other way, on the Atari 800 (NTSC-to-PAL)? Down the road when Incognito is to be installed, I'd die for a PAL Atari 800. It's kind of a pipe dream of mine to run all the awesome Euro-demos on a completely stock-looking beige 800. It seems that "real" PAL 800 is quite rare, but the old beige NTSC beasts are everywhere.

I sure hope you stick around and keep making Atari stuff! :)

Maybe if this goes well, in the future you could come up with something to go the other way, on the Atari 800 (NTSC-to-PAL)?

Wouldn't you just need to swap the personality card for the PAL version and the OS card for the CXL801P?

Best Electronics has the CA06113 board for $15. With Incognito I think you don't need the OS card right?

To clarify, Beetle didn't design the original schematic. I believe Wolfram Fischer modded Beetle's machine (memory's a bit flaky on that, though: it's been a while). Sorry for not passing that information on, Lenore. ;)

This is a really excellent little board, and I can say that if the 1200XL is already SuperVideo modded, the PAL circuitry improves the video output yet further. The upgrade also lives happily alongside VBXE, should you wish to have PAL Y/C output alongside the RGB output.

why only go for 20 boards? I think a lot of people are truly interested in this...

I wanted to keep the board numbers small and manageable. I think we've all had enough drama with some recent pre order offers. I'm fully open to doing a follow on run once this one is done and shipped. :)

Remember PM me for pymt and shipping costs.

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 1

Hello Lenore

Then please put me down for one, fully populated.

BTW this might be a stupid question, but why do we need to convert to "800XL"?

Sincerely

Mathy

I'll let tf_hh explain in the same words he gave me.

Last... I´m not really sure, because I only test it once, but I think to remember right, that the original 1200 operating system doesn´t detect PAL hardware and program always NTSC related values to GTIA and POKEY. This causes some problems. Some games will have failured Player/Missile collision detection and SIO transfer on higher speeds with the german highspeed products (Turbo 1050 by Engl or Speedy 1050 by Compy-Shop) will not work on higher speeds than POKEY divisor 10 (the Happy Warp Speed). This will cause in the fact, that serial transmission speed relates to the system´s ground clock and as you all know there are differences in NTSC and PAL computers.

So it´s a must to change to the 800 XL operating system. I always do a second modification to the 1200 and so one of the old two operating system sockets will be the "new" operating system slot for holding a 27128 eprom, the other was for a 8K basic-ROM to prevent the need of using a cartridge. Also you´ve to change the MMU to an XL-type one. Just connect pin 18 of the MMU to Pin 11 of the PIA to get full 800 XL compatibility with onboard BASIC enable/disable. Ah, check pin 14 on the MMU. It must be connected to +5 volts, because this is the MPD signal from PBI - but the 1200 XL hasn´t any. If left floating this input, spurious errors in BASIC and other languages they use the MathPack ($D800-$DFFF) will appear.

tf_hh

Hello Lenore

Thanks for the/tf_hh's explanation. Since the 1200XL doesn't have a PBI bus (unless you put one in yourself), would it be possible to use the XEGS OS? Heck, maybe I could just use the latest version of the XE (not XEGS) OS. Sorry, just thinking out load via my keyboard.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS the XEGS MMU differs from the XL/XE MMU.

Edited by Mathy

Hello Lenore

Thanks for the/tf_hh's explanation. Since the 1200XL doesn't have a PBI bus (unless you put one in yourself), would it be possible to use the XEGS OS? Heck, maybe I could just use the latest version of the XE (not XEGS) OS. Sorry, just thinking out load via my keyboard.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS the XEGS MMU differs from the XL/XE MMU.

Maybe tf_hh can weigh in here, but I think it could work. I think any OS after and including the XL has coding for PAL.

Hello Lenore

They were. I've got a 600XL, two 800XL's, one 65XE (European version), one 800XE (same as the 65XE, but with a different name. Atari Marketing....), one 130XE and two XEGS's, all PAL machines. The only non-PAL machine is the 1200XL.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi,

Thanks for the/tf_hh's explanation. Since the 1200XL doesn't have a PBI bus (unless you put one in yourself), would it be possible to use the XEGS OS? Heck, maybe I could just use the latest version of the XE (not XEGS) OS.

This is of course also possible.

Jurgen

Hi,

This is how the order list currently stands. I'll update as needed. The url will remain the same for this run.

Remember I need at least 10 completed boards ordered and paid for to start the run. If we miss that mark any monies recieved will be refunded.

http://www.dropchecks.com/1200XLpymt.html