IGNORED

"NES Super 8" project

low_budget

I'm assembling some complete NES Super 8 systems, which I hope to have ready November 15th, the official launch.

I am hand assembling these and I have limited parts on hand, so the first run will only be 8 or so systems. I will be selling them on Tindie.com as well as directly.

Sorry it isn't a marketing gimmick, I really can only build 8 systems at the moment. I have limited funds as my name implies.

These will be based on the v2.0 Super 8 PCB.

The cases are by Absulut Extremes as seen above. These turned out excellent by the way.

Video output is amplified and sync cleaned RGB video.

L / R RCA jacks provide the stereo sound output.

I do not own any PAL games, but since the Super 8 has no lockout chip it should play them fine. The audio pitch may be off though.

I am working on adding additional video output options, but I currently need to do some more work with this design.

Drakon kindly offered his services for testing the NESRGB with the Super 8 (as well as some good advice regarding clock circuits.)

I will have my own pictures of the assembled systems soon.

I attached pics of my first completed system.

My assembly time is about 4.5 hours per system. The parts cost isn't cheap either, with the PPU alone being $200. That being said, the cost will be around $500 for a ready to go system and $250 for the system minus CPU / PPU chips.

I also have a couple pre-wired s-video / composite converters for $60 that plug into the RGB port. These are just a WEIYA CV-04 encoder PCB with a custom connector for the Super 8.

I have recently made a v2.1 PCB with the only change being a on board CXA2075. This didn't really perform as well as the external encoders I've been using so it's still a work in progress. The on-board RGB converter isn't even needed with the NESRGB or Universal PPU, so I may scrap this idea.

So, I guess now is the time to take pre orders? PM me if interested.

post-31751-0-37693200-1382889983_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-07434100-1382890064_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-74487300-1382890173_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-80851000-1382890279_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I listed all my assembled NES Super 8 systems left after the pre-orders on Tindie.com. I was able to build these faster by doing several at a time, so they are cheaper than my earlier estimates. I really worked hard making these the highest quality.
I'm going to take a short break from the project over the holidays, but I will resume in 2014.
Thanks for the support everyone.
Edited by low_budget

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just noticed the excellent Parallax NES controller ports have been discontinued and are out of stock.
These are the ports I used on the Super 8 and are perfect replacements.
Please help me petiton Parallax to re-stock them. It's on the Parallax web site, product ID 450-32360
It's the last part I need in an upcoming project and very useful for hardware mods.

This sucks

• 2 months later...

The Super 8 bit is back with new features and improvements with version 2.5! Very limited quantity available on http://www.tindie.com. No $500 pre-orders followed by a six month wait! The systems will be listed as I build them with no pre-orders taken.

Overview
The Super 8 bit is a new hand-assembled game console that can play all your favorite NES and Famicom games. It uses the original CPU and PPU chips for pixel perfect gameplay and 99.8% compatibility. The Super 8 bit has video, audio, and reliability improvements over the original systems in a compact form factor.
The Super 8 was the very first console to work using original hardware CPU and PPU chips when v1.1 was originally sold over 2 years ago. A lot has improved since then!
Features included with the new v2.5 circuit board:
Dual cartridge slots allow playing games from any region.
Compatible with 99.8% of the entire NES and Famicom 8 bit library.
Two original NES controller ports and 15 pin Famicom expansion connector have all pins wired for compatibility with all known accessories (some require a CRT television.)
Designed to work with Viletim's NESRGB and original console PPU.
Composite video, s-video, and 240p RGB video outputs with stereo sound.
A/V multi-out connector is pin-compatible with any Genesis 2 A/V cable; standard s-video and RCA connectors are used to eliminate the need for proprietary cables.
Three selectable color palettes: original, improved, and arcade.
New cartridge connectors with no lockout chip, so any game with a clean connector will work every time.
Adjustable hi-fi stereo sound circuit supports auxiliary audio input from game cartridges.
Three-piece 14 gauge aluminum powder coated case.
Efficient switching 1.5A regulator provides plenty of power to system and accessories.
Firmware updates are completely unnecessary with the Super 8.
Edited by low_budget

Here's some pics of the internals. It has a 3 circuit board stack that is very compact and incorporates the NESRGB nicely without any relocation boards.

CPU, NESRGB, and PPU are all socketed and feature plug-in connection.

Technically, a Playchoice 10 RGB PPU can still be used, but this Super 8 motherboard has no incorporated video circuitry, it relies on the NESRGB for all video signals coming from the PPU.

post-31751-0-11832200-1418200716_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-28966700-1418200767_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-35916400-1418200831_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Compatible with 99.8% of the entire NES and Famicom 8 bit library.

What possible reason could there be for this to be .2% incompatible with NES or Famicom games? What game would work on a real NES or Famicom and not on this system with a 2C02 PPU? Is this a holdover with the earlier design intended for the Playchoice-10 2C03 PPU, which did have some compatibility issues?

About my 99.8% compatibility figure:

The NESRGB is basically the only thing different electrically from an original system. I've heard a game called "duck maze" doesn't boot, but that might have been fixed on newer NESRGB firmwares. I did not want to say 100% compatibility because eventually someone might find a game that doesn't work.

I think it's safe to say 99.8% compatibility for now......

• 2 weeks later...

I initially didn't think Famicom microphone support was needed, mostly because it is only used on 5 or 6 early Famicom games.

However due to a lot of requests, built-in Famicom support is now featured in the new v3.0 Super 8 bit motherboard!

Version 3.0 is not meant to replace v2.5, it simply adds Famicom microphone functionality using a built-in microphone. Sensitivity is adjustable and the input is tied to a LED so the user has a visual indicator when the microphone input is active (sound level loud enough.)
Since I was designing a new PCB anyway, I made some small changes, like larger and easier to adjust potentiometers on v3.0.

I hope to have Super 8 bit systems with the v3.0 motherboard available in 1-2 weeks. Due to the extra labor and parts cost involved, this version will cost more than systems using the v2.5 circuit board.
Here's a video of the new v3.0 Super 8 bit being tested with a variety of Famicom and NES accessories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About my 99.8% compatibility figure:

The NESRGB is basically the only thing different electrically from an original system. I've heard a game called "duck maze" doesn't boot, but that might have been fixed on newer NESRGB firmwares. I did not want to say 100% compatibility because eventually someone might find a game that doesn't work.

I think it's safe to say 99.8% compatibility for now......

Duck Maze, Orb 3D and Morskoy Boy were fixed with v1.5 of the NESRGB board, but that introduced some wrong background colors in some games. The current version, v1.7, seems to have fixed everything : http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/background_fault/

I think you can advertise 100% compatibility absent subsequently discovered issues.

Edited by Great Hierophant

Hay are you ever going to release the original PCB because i'm making a project using the ram to create new content on existing games, e.g mario with a jetpack new weapons for megaman or finding music and replacing it with improved music (using the ram HEX values). I have already got most of the ram modifying code dun on a emulator (many for debuging homebrew). it wont work on an original nes but you may work but i need the PCB files (i only need the basic features like video and control and cartridge port).