IGNORED

"NES Super 8" project

low_budget

On 12/20/2017 at 6:22 PM, pirek22 said:
Hello

Can anyone share the project to create PCBs ??

Or maybe someone has another project nes and can share it.

I would like to create such a miracle from scratch, starting with creating PCBs.

Can anyone share a tile project ??

I hope to that this project comes open source. This is a very nice project.

I would have liked to buy a Super 8. But it was too hight priced for me :(

I choosed Nt mini instead due jailbreak. But all my support for low_budget.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 6:31 AM, gulps said:

I hope to that this project comes open source. This is a very nice project.

I would have liked to buy a Super 8. But it was too hight priced for me :(

I choosed Nt mini instead due jailbreak. But all my support for low_budget.

lol. All of your support, but none of your money. Instead you actually support Analogue who likely screwed over low_budget. Shame on everyone else in this thread begging for the files to be released.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

lol. All of your support, but none of your money. Instead you actually support Analogue who likely screwed over low_budget. Shame on everyone else in this thread begging for the files to be released.

Silly rabbit tricks are for kids.  Moot given my last post, and plain ignorant from a reverse engineering point of view.

The NES is cake...  Its a fucking serial port with lanes to a CPU (6502, classic IMHO) and PPU....  Not brain surgery.   you think other people don't have files (honor among theives?!?! lmao)or are not working on this?

Im over halfway done with my own design I was looking to release here.  Open source...  prolly a dirty word for you

Go back to the playground child.

I'm just all out of patience for ignorance.

Edited by Handles77

15 minutes ago, Handles77 said:

Silly rabbit tricks are for kids.  Moot given my last post, and plain ignorant from a reverse engineering point of view.

The NES is cake...  Its a fucking serial port with lanes to a CPU (6502, interesting processor. Do some homework) and PPU....  Not brain surgery.   you think other people don't have files (honor among theives?!?! lmao)or are not working on this?

Im over halfway done with my own design I was looking to release here.  Open source...  prolly a dirty word for you

Go back to the playground child.

Ah, name calling, and I'm the immature one? My only point is expecting someone else (in this context, low_budget) to give away their labor is a bad attitude. Open source work is just fine when someone volunteers it. Asking for it when it wasn't volunteered is bereft of class.

• 2 weeks later...

Please calm down people.  I am willing to open source some of my Super 8 bit drawings and notes in the near future.  I will not be sharing PCB design files.  I never made a complete schematic of the Super 8, rather some hand drawn schematics and a spreadsheet of the major IC connections. 

As I've said before, I have no plan to make any more Super 8 bit consoles.

However, I am working on a replacement NES PCB at the moment.  It will not be a replica or reproduction, but essentially a Super 8 bit redesigned to fit into a NES front loader case. 

I cannot say for sure if this will ever be released, but I am working on it.

I like the work Redherring32 is doing, and if there isn't much demand for the "super 8 bit ized" version I may scrap the idea.

Edited by low_budget
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, Bratwurst said:

Ah, name calling, and I'm the immature one? My only point is expecting someone else (in this context, low_budget) to give away their labor is a bad attitude. Open source work is just fine when someone volunteers it. Asking for it when it wasn't volunteered is bereft of class.

Hey! You have to understand what is open source or creative commons licenses.

For open source project we can volunteered as bug testers, reviewers or adding our implementations. This is how Linux Kernel works. Now is so far better than other SO for servers.

I supported Analog / Kevtris (more the original project of Kevin Horton) for the NT Mini due the price was lower within the Jailbreak features. I known the milled aluminium enclosure cost more than 100$. And this pushed the price near premium line.

I had bad customer service with Analogue. I was waiting more than six months for a response for repairment. They sold all units and they did'nt kept any for repairs. Finally I solved the problem myself. I hope they learned about this in the new products.

Yes I read the first post from @low_budget. I totally disagree how Analogue threated him. But I suppose they learned and changed the direction with the @kevtris contract.

Now the contrincant is MiSTer. An open source FPGA project from the community. For DIYers :)

12 hours ago, low_budget said:

However, I am working on a replacement NES PCB at the moment.  It will not be a replica or reproduction, but essentially a Super 8 bit redesigned to fit into a NES front loader case. 

I cannot say for sure if this will ever be released, but I am working on it.

Good direction! I suppose the NesRGB kit will fit on it :)

PD: I have top loader version :$

I have some updates on my NES front loader PCB replacement:

This kit will consist of the new motherboard and a RF module replacement PCB (without RF.)

Some features that will be incorporated:

15p Famicom expansion port in the location of the original unused NES expansion port

Famicom microphone support

Stereo sound with auxiliary cartridge input

Can be assembled with original RF shielding

2 reset modes selectable with jumper: NES front loader reset (with screen blanking) or Famicom style reset (cpu only)

No lockout chip

PPU is in identical location to original NES so any video mods that fit original will fit here

Can use original AC NES power adapter or modern DC power adapter

RF module replacement board has room for larger heatsink on 7805 regulator (can also be used with switching regulator)

RF RCA connector replaced with composite, and R L audio RCA connectors now on right side. (Former) channel select switch is still there and can be wired for any purpose, such as palette selection

Works with original power / reset button PCB

I'm taking time away from assembling my Parsec supergun project working on this so hopefully things work out!

It will be a simpler project than the Super 8 bit, as I don't need to manufacture the expensive aluminum cases and I don't need to worry about parts supplies as much.

• 4 weeks later...

Introducing the NESessity front loader NES PCB replacement.

I am currently working on getting good CPU and PPU chips and I have ordered a blinking light win cartridge slot replacement so I can do full testing.  I even ordered a high quality desoldering tool so I can remove CPU and PPU chips easily.

Everything fits perfectly in the original case.  My first build will be basic with only composite video output to ensure everything is compatible and functions correctly.  I'm not too worried because I've built over 40 Super 8 Bit systems.

The CPU, PPU, and connector for power/reset board must be reused from the original PCB, but everything else is new.

The Famicom expansion connector is there replacing the useless original expansion slot, although admittedly it may be difficult to plug some things in without some kind of extension cable.

NESessity1s.jpg

NESessity2s.jpg

NESessity3s.jpg

NESessity5s.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 12:51 AM, Handles77 said:

https://github.com/Redherring32/OpenTendo

And just like that....   Thank you Red Herring!!!!!!   

I have not yet looked it over, but the effort is greatly appreciated. Excited to look at files. Get this (wo?)man a beer.....

Glad to see my work is appreciated!

And amazing work as always on your new motherboard @low_budget, glad you're still in the business of custom NES hardware!

Edited by Redherring32
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 12:15 AM, low_budget said:

Introducing the NESessity front loader NES PCB replacement.

I am currently working on getting good CPU and PPU chips and I have ordered a blinking light win cartridge slot replacement so I can do full testing.  I even ordered a high quality desoldering tool so I can remove CPU and PPU chips easily.

Everything fits perfectly in the original case.  My first build will be basic with only composite video output to ensure everything is compatible and functions correctly.  I'm not too worried because I've built over 40 Super 8 Bit systems.

The CPU, PPU, and connector for power/reset board must be reused from the original PCB, but everything else is new.

The Famicom expansion connector is there replacing the useless original expansion slot, although admittedly it may be difficult to plug some things in without some kind of extension cable.

@low_budget is it possible for you to also release pcb for NES top loader and Famicom as well?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Intense.Mark said:

@low_budget is it possible for you to also release pcb for NES top loader and Famicom as well?

I don't plan on designing any replacement PCBs for other 8 bit Nintendo systems at this time.  The top loader NES is a lot less common than the front loader, and there would be many extra challenges.  There would be less room on the PCB for any extra circuitry and controller ports would be difficult to desolder and reuse.

I'm working on the next revision of the NESessity, and I'm open to suggestions.

Possibly add an 8p mini-DIN connector for RGB replacing the composite RCA connector?

Possibly add a SP3T switch for palette selection near the expansion port (when using a NESRGB?)

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:51 AM, low_budget said:

I don't plan on designing any replacement PCBs for other 8 bit Nintendo systems at this time.  The top loader NES is a lot less common than the front loader, and there would be many extra challenges.  There would be less room on the PCB for any extra circuitry and controller ports would be difficult to desolder and reuse.

I'm working on the next revision of the NESessity, and I'm open to suggestions.

Possibly add an 8p mini-DIN connector for RGB replacing the composite RCA connector?

Possibly add a SP3T switch for palette selection near the expansion port (when using a NESRGB?)

Congrats for the work!

A nice addition will be to add the +5V at VGA Pin_9 to meet RGB specification for a VGA-to-SCART-cable if you finally use a VGA for multiple video output (composite and RGB):

Pin 9 KEY/PWR +5 V DC (powers EDID EEPROM chip on some monitors), formerly key

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

If you see at SCART Pin_16 wee need to put 3V to enable RGB at SCART connections (normally for European TV):

Pin 16  

Blanking signal up
RGB-selection voltage up

• 0–0.4 V → composite
  • 1–3 V → RGB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

:)

• 1 month later...

I am working on many things at the moment and really can't devote the time required to bring back the Super 8 bit.  While it would be easy to just order more PCBs with the previous design, making custom parts like the sheet metal aluminum case and controller ports is very expensive and requires a large order.

There are some issues with the v1.0 NESessity PCB I am working on, and I hope to have them resolved soon.  I hope to have a new version NESessity PCB available this fall if things go to plan.

• 1 month later...

I have the new version NESessity PCB v1.1 tested and working great.

So far I have built a simple composite video only NESessity, and I will be building a NESRGB modified version soon.

Even though there are no new major features on v1.1 over v1.0, I have incorporated many bugfixes and other improvements into the overall design.

IMG_1631.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the most active forum thread for the NESessity on shmups system11:  https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66487

I will try to check Atariage more often as well to answer questions.

The bare NESessity PCB is available here: https://www.tindie.com/products/low_budget/nesessity-v12-replacement-pcb-for-nes-console/

I have a couple assembled NESessity PCBs currently on eBay.

Youtube video for the latest v1.2 NESessity:  

Eventually I plan on building 25 NESessity PCBs (w/o CPU and PPU) and hope to have them ready late January 2021.

Edited by low_budget