IGNORED

New retro gaming podcast: 1 More Podcastle

Hi friends,

If you don’t need any convincing and are already interested in checking out a new podcast dedicated to retro gaming, then cool! Here are the links:

Episode 1 – Lawnmowers!

Episode 2 – Attack of the Canadians!

Otherwise, here is my humble pitch:

Collaborative retro gaming features site 1 More Castle now has our own weekly podcast, affectionately titled 1 More Podcastle. We just released our second episode last night, but I can already say that we are proud of our product and hope to gain some early adopter fans that can stick with us throughout a long haul of conversational fun.

So the key question is: “Is 1 More Podcastle worth listening to every week?” While I hope the answer is “yes,” if I were completely honest, the answer is probably closer to “maybe.” So, in order to help you make your decision whether or not to give it an honest chance, here are some specific details about the podcast.

Our scene is 100% retro. In episode 2, there is a brief tangent about Assassin’s Creed, but even then, it was used as a point about one of the flaws of modern gaming. Now, we believe video games are generally great and the modern scene is not an enemy – but this podcast is explicitly, totally retro-centric. You will hear about the NES, Sega Genesis, Turbografx 64, PS1, Atari 2600, etc.

Our episodes are fairly short. The second episode clocks in at just over 30 minutes. If you’re the kind of person who likes a solid 90-minute ‘cast, you may need to listen to 3 of our episodes back-to-back-to-back! We are aiming for a format that would approach 45 minutes at its longest. Our tone is lighthearted and breezy.

Our draw is the Retro Showdown. Our format is fairly simple: Typical intros/icebreaker, a retro gaming discussion question, a musical interlude… then the Showdown. We have three hosts, who each give a 2-minute pitch about the retro game they picked for the episode. Then we go into about 10 minutes of free-for-all discussion/debate/argument about whose game is best. This is fun for us, so we hope it’s fun for listeners too. And here’s the kicker: Listeners can vote on the episode page for their favorite game of the trio presented. We argue, you give us feedback on whose argument was most convincing, and leave a comment too if you want.

I am not very iSavvy myself, but I believe we are available on iTunes as well. So if you like podcasts and you like retro gaming – really, just try us out. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

• Like 1

sounds good, I will check it out, now some advice and please keep in mind I have yet to listen.....

Stay true to the retro content (from what I am reading you intend to)

PLEASE for the love of god avoid 2 topics that have been done to DEATH: POKEMON and FINAL FANTASY

Anytime more than one person is on the podcast try to not talk over each other

AVOID as much as possible YELLING into the mic it is really annoying

No swearing fests please

IF you can do those things you will be far ahead of several podcasts already..............

Probably not, as they hardly discuss gaming anymore...& said so quite awhile back when they announced a "format change".

I listened to a recent ep. not long ago, seems it's now just an outlet for Hilden's cackling, uncontrolled laughter.

I was editing this while 2 more posts popped in, this goes in 2 posts ago.

Edited by RJ

Update, I have listened and enjoyed. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Thank you, sir! Also: We will definitely keep your considerations in mind. One of our hosts, Hunter, does swear every once in a while -- but he knows he's not supposed to, haha. We've joked about dubbing over swears with a fun retro gaming sound effect ("boing!"), but so far I think it was just a couple quick times. Otherwise, for the other stuff, should be no problem! :-D

• Like 1

I don't think swearing is a problem, as an adult I've known & used those words for years. My personal concern is when hosts pepper their speech with it &/or use it every other word. Or just for shock value "because they can" & play the "free speech" card like oh...I don't know (*coughJerryTerrifyingcough*)

• Like 2

We've joked about dubbing over swears with a fun retro gaming sound effect ("boing!"), but so far I think it was just a couple quick times. Otherwise, for the other stuff, should be no problem! :-D

Oh good don't even consider that, now THAT would grow tiresome fast! Hey I no prude by any means lol. No. what I refer to is the podcasts / youtube vids etc, where the dialog seems to have been written for the cast of DEADWOOD. The occasional slip here or there is just reality.

Oh and @RJ I could not agree more lol! I like Jerry but between the over usage of swearing and his egotistical attitude I tuned out some time ago.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Ok no major concerns for 1more podcastle, execution/flow are fine, no speaking problems, hosts know what they're doing/talking about. So far so good. I had a sound issue w/ ep. 2, one host was only audible in my left earbud & the other, only in my right. Dunno if that was for effect (as if the listener is actually "sitting in" on the discussion) or what.

Oh yes it's "APP-uh-jee".

& I know it's early & you have plenty of room to grow, but you seem a bit Nintendo-centric. Any pre-NES shows in the future? You cant go wrong around here discussing Atari! & maybe some arcade/coin-op talk?

Ok no major concerns for 1more podcastle, execution/flow are fine, no speaking problems, hosts know what they're doing/talking about. So far so good. I had a sound issue w/ ep. 2, one host was only audible in my left earbud & the other, only in my right. Dunno if that was for effect (as if the listener is actually "sitting in" on the discussion) or what.

I can actually address the sound issue -- as you may've noticed, our usual host Eric Hunter was absent from episode 2, so Andrew took his place. But Hunter also does our engineering/editing, so Andrew took that over as well, and mistakenly left a "mono" setting active. Andrew is aware of the error, and has apologized for it. The good news: From episode 3 onward, the audio editing and settings should be back to their usual high caliber.

Oh yes it's "APP-uh-jee".

& I know it's early & you have plenty of room to grow, but you seem a bit Nintendo-centric. Any pre-NES shows in the future? You cant go wrong around here discussing Atari! & maybe some arcade/coin-op talk?

I can't guarantee an entire pre-NES show, but it is a fun idea! I am sure more variety will trickle in. Jason is a huge PC guy, I'm the big Nintendo nerd, and Hunter is a little of everything... but, for example, when we record tomorrow night, I'll be discussing an Atari 2600 game in the Showdown. Unfortunately for truly vintage fans, I imagine some episodes will be all PS1/Saturn/N64, too, or similar -- a bit of everything can be expected, but each episode will be different. A valid thought, though, thanks! I'll keep you in mind. ;)