IGNORED

What do you guys store your games in?

imnickb

I was going to ask about that. Indoor light (flourescent light in particular) can damage games, such as the labels (perhaps causing them to lighten)? If it's sunlight that's a concern, all my gaming "goodness" is located in my bomb shelter..........er..........den, where no sunlight can reach.

I really would like to make a move to the drawer containers pictured here. The elder gentleman who owns 4 Jays has all his loose Atari and Colecovision games stored in these, and they're terrific! Just pull out a drawer, and there's your game.

post-28334-0-19824900-1348860772_thumb.jpg

That's what I use. Stored in a closet with my air exchanger. The closet is given to dampness right along the concrete floor, but when Hurricaine Igor flooded the basement a couple years ago, that was the LAST place to get wet. By the time it flooded, I had everything out and safely tucked away upstairs. Also, it's completely dark, all the time. So, despite the less than ideal dampness conditions, they're staying there forever. FIve years in, the boxes and carts are showing no sign of damage from the air, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Edited by Atarifever

That's what I use. Stored in a closet with my air exchanger. The closet is given to dampness right along the concrete floor, but when Hurricaine Igor flooded the basement a couple years ago, that was the LAST place to get wet. By the time it flooded, I had everything out and safely tucked away upstairs. Also, it's completely dark, all the time. So, despite the less than ideal dampness conditions, they're staying there forever. FIve years in, the boxes and carts are showing no sign of damage from the air, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Do you keep your individual carts in little baggies with the silica gel packets to prevent moisture damage?

No. Should I? Again, no damage thus far.

Would silica packs just in the tub drawers be enough?

If you're like me and keep your carts in the basement, which tends to be humid, it may be a good idea to use silica gel packets. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, though. I would be intereseted to see what others here think about it.

I don't know if just keeping packets in the drawers is enough. I guess you'd have to buy the larger size packets. I purchsed my small packets from atriguide.com.

I use long boxes for cards. Each one holds 19 carts. The M-Network carts flop around a bit as expected but otherwise they fit perfectly. I have one of the console centers that holds 10 carts, so I just keep the ones I'm playing there and swap them out periodically. The boxes have covers also.

I do have a nice wooden shelf that the boxed games I have are on, however, it shares space with my entire DVD collection! And books are on the bottom shelf of the same unit. Strategy guides are next to the VCS games, and a mishmash of items are on the very top. I am very disorganized apparently, if you take a look at this shelf from a distance, you'd be shaking your head trying to figure out what I was doing. lol

I never thought to save the boxes. And I wish I did. Since I got my original games, the boxes were not important to me. But now that I am a collector of lots of things,and save the boxes for practically everything I get these days, these would have been great to have...not to mention the best way to store them. Oh well, live and learn. I have all the books in two boxes I did save...Frogger and Empire Strikes Back, but that's it.

I never thought to save the boxes. And I wish I did. Since I got my original games, the boxes were not important to me. But now that I am a collector of lots of things,and save the boxes for practically everything I get these days, these would have been great to have...not to mention the best way to store them. Oh well, live and learn. I have all the books in two boxes I did save...Frogger and Empire Strikes Back, but that's it.

Yeah, I used to throw all my boxes away too. Now I only buy my favorites with the box and stick to loose ones otherwise.

• 6 months later...

look at my avatar photo...

I really, really love this.

I've been looking for modules from which to build such a storage solution, but there's nothing available in any kind of stores that usually sell all kinds of containers.

Maybe you could share some (exact) details about how you put that together?

That would be awesome.

I have mine stored in large plastic totes. The kind that are about 6 inches deep. You can get 80ish games in them, and they aren't to heavy to move, or to inconvenient to get into. From there, they stack on some heavy duty bookshelves, three bins deep or so.

I keep the boxes stored in larger bins, much more loosely to keep them from being damaged, and the loose games I keep in the little plastic wraps you can get here on AA

• 8 years later...