IGNORED

Help please! 2600 poor video after svhs mod

milamontagne

Hi. I probably should have waited for someone here to do the mod, but I purchased the

service on ebay and ive received my light sixer back, and the vertical interferance bars that

showed up before i had it modded are still present. I'm contacting the seller,

but, in case he can't/wont fix it and i have to open it up myself again (When

i bought it i opened it up for a full cleaning and replaced the heatsink compound

under the voltage regulator)

What should i try if i'm stuck with the unit?

Are you sure its not the tv, does it show up on multiple tvs?

Have you tried other AC adapters? I put up a

on how an AC that's too small can cause issues.

http://youtu.be/vaRQQm-z3Ns

Also, did you do the mod or did the guy on ebay do it? Do you know if he checked the capacitors?

I would also suggest trying other AV cables, but you said the bars were there before so I assume you meant also on RF as well as now on composite and or svid?

Thank you very much for your response! I've spend a few days off and on trying to fix this.

Are you sure its not the tv, does it show up on multiple tvs?

Have you tried other AC adapters? I put up a

on how an AC that's too small can cause issues.

http://youtu.be/vaRQQm-z3Ns

Ive tried it soo far with 2 Different tv's My no name lcd and a friends Sony CRT with a different svhs cable,

as well as 3 different original Atari AC adapters. On my friends, the picture was much brighter and a bit clearer,

however the "jailbars" (as i now know their called) also were more pronounced. I'll try to get a new 9v adapter

with a higher current rateing next (I did notice the rolling bars as you noted in your YouTube video on the Sony much

more)

Also, did you do the mod or did the guy on ebay do it? Do you know if he checked the capacitors?

I would also suggest trying other AV cables, but you said the bars were there before so I assume you meant also on RF as well as now on composite and or svid?

I had the guy on ebay do the mod (its the LHE one) I don't know if he checked the caps on the board. Yes, they were present on RF (though a lot less noticeable because the RF output was far far worse)

He mentioned opening up the 2600 (no problem for me, as i opened it before and gave it a full cleaning when i got it) and adjusting the two pots for brightness and contrast, but i'm not so sure that will solve the jailbars issue. I saw another post here on AA about the mod board flexing and haveing the jailbars issue due to poor solder joints.

Is there a parts list and location of the capacitors in the atari? When i checked the 2600 originally, it looked like it had seen prior servicing by a competent tech (unless Atari originally socketed the major IC's)