IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

Guys, I believe that the original printer is moving to sue me. He offered me a deal to send me the boxes as they are, with no barcode, at a $1,000 discount price. I am pretty sure this is a last effort to get a settlement before going to court. Now, we can take the offer or risk our luck in court. And honestly, going to court is the last thing I want, because it probably is going to cost me more than simply pay for the boxes now.

On the other hand, other than the missing barcode, his boxes are really top quality, far superior to anything I have printed in Brazil (that is, any of my games' packagings).

So I don't know, I am inclined to accept his offer, as much as that pains me. He said he tried to print the barcode over the existing boxes, but it didn't work (of course I knew that, hence I never accepted the idea). His other suggestion was to print the barcode over a very thin transparent plastic film and stick it to the box, but I am not sure how that is going to look.

So that you guys understand, the problem isn't the barcode per se, as half of the ColecoVision accessories didn't have one. The problem is that we are left with a small blank space that detracts of the intended layout a bit. Curiously I found two pictures of the EM#1 box, which was used as a template for the SGM box, and in one of them the barcode is hidden behind a blank label, while the other box doesn't even have the barcode.

http://colecovisionzone.com/photos/accessory/colecovision%20module%201%20back%20full.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1508266734431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150826673443&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't risk going to court over something like this and as long as you don't have a signed deal/contract with the other printer, I would just come to a settlement with the first printer. Then you can work out the details as far as the barcode (a transparent barcode label, a white label or none at all) that is to YOUR liking.

You have so much time and money already invested in the S.G.M. project that it doesn't make sense to risk things seriously going wrong when you are so close to the finish line.

Anyway, when I put the box on my shelf with the rest of my collection, the front of the box will be facing out and I won't see the back! :P

• Like 3

Guys, I believe that the original printer is moving to sue me. He offered me a deal to send me the boxes as they are, with no barcode, at a $1,000 discount price. I am pretty sure this is a last effort to get a settlement before going to court. Now, we can take the offer or risk our luck in court. And honestly, going to court is the last thing I want, because it probably is going to cost me more than simply pay for the boxes now.

On the other hand, other than the missing barcode, his boxes are really top quality, far superior to anything I have printed in Brazil (that is, any of my games' packagings).

So I don't know, I am inclined to accept his offer, as much as that pains me. He said he tried to print the barcode over the existing boxes, but it didn't work (of course I knew that, hence I never accepted the idea). His other suggestion was to print the barcode over a very thin transparent plastic film and stick it to the box, but I am not sure how that is going to look.

So that you guys understand, the problem isn't the barcode per se, as half of the ColecoVision accessories didn't have one. The problem is that we are left with a small blank space that detracts of the intended layout a bit. Curiously I found two pictures of the EM#1 box, which was used as a template for the SGM box, and in one of them the barcode is hidden behind a blank label, while the other box doesn't even have the barcode.

http://colecovisionz...1 back full.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1508266734431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150826673443&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Any thoughts?

I agree with NIAD on this I know you have worked so hard on this and it sucks to have it go the way it did. I know you where not wanting it to end up like this but I don't think it is worth the risk although I think the judge would side with you as they tend to side with the consumer, as long as the judge doesn't think your being unraisable which I don't think he will as long as you have paperwork to back everything up. My is opinion talk to a lawyer just to fully weigh your options and most likely take the settlement.

Yeah, I am actually trying to negotiate those transparent barcode labels right now...

If you need those barcode labels, shoot me a PM...I should be able to source them for you cheap.

Also, IMHO, a sticker would be the best solution to your problem (aside from the fact that you have to stick them all on yourself :mad: ). I have plenty of customers who do it this way intentionally, as their SKU#'s change often. You see, most printed box projects out there are at much higher quantities, in order to drop the price per box drastically. Companies run off a large quantity of boxes with the blank space, so they can update the barcode as often as needed.

In your case, it could really add value, simply because if you do a second run, it will be an easy way for collectors to distinguish the version #1 from version #2. ;)

If you need those barcode labels, shoot me a PM...I should be able to source them for you cheap.

Also, IMHO, a sticker would be the best solution to your problem (aside from the fact that you have to stick them all on yourself :mad: ). I have plenty of customers who do it this way intentionally, as their SKU#'s change often. You see, most printed box projects out there are at much higher quantities, in order to drop the price per box drastically. Companies run off a large quantity of boxes with the blank space, so they can update the barcode as often as needed.

In your case, it could really add value, simply because if you do a second run, it will be an easy way for collectors to distinguish the version #1 from version #2. ;)

Now that is an interesting idea. BTW, our friend Bennybingo here is the one supplying us the foams. :)

And so that you guys know what the back of the box looks like without the barcode, here is a picture:

post-1432-0-79619500-1355367701_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Eduardo-

I'm with bennybingo and the other guys on this don't sweat the barcode one bit, and it’s certainly not worth going to court over.

The box looks fine to me, and if you feel it really needs a barcode (is it going to be a real barcode, that can be read by a scanner? plan to upload it to any UPC databases out there? or is it just for show?) go with the label.

I have seen plenty of items over the years that use a sticker and they look just fine. White, clear or whatever, it doesn't matter to me. It’s your product, go with what you think looks best.

I'm good any which way.

• Like 1

I'm willing to bet that the threats of going to court are a bluff, as he would have to either hire his own lawyer (this would be a small claims court issue) or fill out all the forms and file them and pay the fees himself. However, I agree with everyone else that it's just not worth the bother, because if he does fill out the forms and file the claim himself, he'll do so so where he lives and does business and you would have to defend the claim there. If you ignored the claim, the court would find against you and you'd be out of luck.

I especially like the idea of different bar code stickers for the different production runs of the module. And since bennybingo says that lots of other businesses do it this way, it will still have an authentic look to it.

• Like 1

The box is going to go into a drawer or a closet as soon as the SGM is unpacked and plugged into the CV console, so yeah, it's really not worth going to court over, especially if the same printer company is doing your SGM casing labels and all other packaging elements.

They were, but "fortunately" we had the problem with the box before they had the chance to work on the nameplate, and at this point I would be crazy to print anything else with them.

So I will be reprinting the manual, no matter what. And I can use the discount they are giving me with the box to pay for the catalog. I had an unexpected meeting this morning, so I couldn't go to the new printer, but I will tomorrow or Friday. I am pretty sure that printing the manual and catalog isn't going to take too long, as none of them require a die cut.