IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

Glad to hear you guys are appreciating the effort.

So again, the plans are to start producing a 2nd run as soon as I have the 1st shipped. However that is going to take some time, connectors must be produced, PCBs assembled, etc. So my guess is that it should be available around July.

In the meantime I have a game to release. But before that I need to complete the Super Game Cartridge design. SGCs offer very flexible bank switching plus the capacity to save data in the cartridge, thus accomplishing Coleco's plan for the original SGM: expanded RAM, high capacity media, capable of saving data to media.

SGC will come assembled from the factory, meaning I don't need to waste my time assembling cartridges, reducing shipping times, improving quality and reliability.

So yeah, the SGM is just 50% of the whole thing.

• Like 4

So again, the plans are to start producing a 2nd run as soon as I have the 1st shipped. However that is going to take some time, connectors must be produced, PCBs assembled, etc. So my guess is that it should be available around July.

In the meantime I have a game to release. But before that I need to complete the Super Game Cartridge design. SGCs offer very flexible bank switching plus the capacity to save data in the cartridge, thus accomplishing Coleco's plan for the original SGM: expanded RAM, high capacity media, capable of saving data to media.

SGC will come assembled from the factory, meaning I don't need to waste my time assembling cartridges, reducing shipping times, improving quality and reliability.

When do you estimate that the first SGM shipments will be going out?

When do you estimate that the first SGM shipments will be going out?

Hopefully mid February. The problem now are the boxes. They can only start printing on the first week of February. What I am going to do is to have everything else done by the time I receive the boxes. Modules assembled and tested, shipping boxes ready, address labels printed, shipping paid for, etc.

• Like 6

I know you've got a million other things going on right now but is DK Arcade complete then? This is still going to be your first title for the SGM, correct? Any loose timeframe for when it will be ready?

I know you've got a million other things going on right now but is DK Arcade complete then? This is still going to be your first title for the SGM, correct? Any loose timeframe for when it will be ready?

Let's just say it is coming out this year, and yes, my first SGM game. I also hope to re-release Space Invaders Collection for the SGM this year.

I am currently doing some work on DK animation, more specifically for the conveyor belt stage. Finally figured out the DK scroll animation. Dale has started work on DK packaging, which includes brand new templates for everything.

However first I need to put the final touches on Goonies, Knightmare and Stone of Wisdom, so Pixelboy can release them this year.

• Like 3

Let's just say it is coming out this year, and yes, my first SGM game. I also hope to re-release Space Invaders Collection for the SGM this year.

I am currently doing some work on DK animation, more specifically for the conveyor belt stage. Finally figured out the DK scroll animation. Dale has started work on DK packaging, which includes brand new templates for everything.

However first I need to put the final touches on Goonies, Knightmare and Stone of Wisdom, so Pixelboy can release them this year.

So Space Invaders will be "enhanced" for the SGM? What kind of goodies are you planning?

So Space Invaders will be "enhanced" for the SGM? What kind of goodies are you planning?

Minor tweaks, better sound, smoother gameplay. I don't want to spend too much time on this, there are lots of games I still want to port.

• Like 4

Two questions:

Does the foam insert have the same kind of recessed "Colecovision" logo like the older products did (I'm sure at least one had that)?

What kind of experience can we expect from an SGM game, what can we compare it to? Is it something like Adam quality games without the need for the Adam?...or something much different (what system can we compare it to in terms of graphics and sound?)?

Thanks! I'll put in my order as soon as the second run gets started.

Does the foam insert have the same kind of recessed "Colecovision" logo like the older products did (I'm sure at least one had that)?

No it doesn't currently. My company is producing the foam (and i'm glad you are so excited about it :grin:), and it is made up of pieces of machine cut foam which are then glued into a clamshell form. It will keep the SGM nice and snug during transport and while in storage.

A custom "stamp" in the foam would require a molded foam piece, which is cost prohibitive for a limited product run....but the foam looks very nice nonetheless.

• Like 2

Is 2 player co-op mode for SIC possible? Also perhaps faster shooting for the good guys :)

Faster shooting would ruin the game balance, right? The game is what it is, for faster shooting we have other titles waiting to get ported, Galaga, Xevious...

2 players versus was something I considered when I first ported the game. But as I said, unless it is something that doesn't take a lot of time to implement, I would prefer to use the time to have other games ported ASAP.

• Like 1

Two questions:

What kind of experience can we expect from an SGM game, what can we compare it to? Is it something like Adam quality games without the need for the Adam?...or something much different (what system can we compare it to in terms of graphics and sound?)?

Thanks! I'll put in my order as soon as the second run gets started.

As Ben explained, formed foams require a mold, just like the SGM case, and considering the size, it would end costing more than the case itself. So we used fabricated foam, basically pieces of foam glued together.

About experiences, the SGM adds RAM and extra sound. So sound wise I think the best example so far is Oscar Toledo's Mecha-8. Using all 6 channels should sound "fat". I don't remember any home console or computer from the 80s having that many PSG channels, but we have many arcade examples, like Jungle King, Gradius, Twin Bee.

Memory wise, well your imagination is the limit. 32KB is a lot of RAM for a 8-bit console. In case you are familiar with the MSX, I think it is a better example than the ADAM, as the ADAM died too soon.

We are seeing many different categories of games with the SGM:

- ADAM ports (not many as the options are very limited)

- MSX ports

- Arcade ports (can really benefit from the additional memory)

- Brand new games

- Games that run on regular CV but are enhanced for the SGM (like Mecha-8)

• Like 3

Faster shooting would ruin the game balance, right? The game is what it is, for faster shooting we have other titles waiting to get ported, Galaga, Xevious...

2 players versus was something I considered when I first ported the game. But as I said, unless it is something that doesn't take a lot of time to implement, I would prefer to use the time to have other games ported ASAP.

I guess I thought the game was a little too slow and hard, but I'm comparing it to the Atari 2600 version that I play co-op with my 8 year old.

As Ben explained, formed foams require a mold, just like the SGM case, and considering the size, it would end costing more than the case itself. So we used fabricated foam, basically pieces of foam glued together.

About experiences, the SGM adds RAM and extra sound. So sound wise I think the best example so far is Oscar Toledo's Mecha-8. Using all 6 channels should sound "fat". I don't remember any home console or computer from the 80s having that many PSG channels, but we have many arcade examples, like Jungle King, Gradius, Twin Bee.

Memory wise, well your imagination is the limit. 32KB is a lot of RAM for a 8-bit console. In case you are familiar with the MSX, I think it is a better example than the ADAM, as the ADAM died too soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5_c2UCQdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dNasBCAt8

We are seeing many different categories of games with the SGM:

- ADAM ports (not many as the options are very limited)

- MSX ports

- Arcade ports (can really benefit from the additional memory)

- Brand new games

- Games that run on regular CV but are enhanced for the SGM (like Mecha- 8)

Gradius :lust:

SGM update:

- PCBs have been assembled. Should receive them later this week, early next week. The 2 samples I got weeks ago look super nice. In fact the 2 first SGMs are already assembled waiting for packing.

- Manual has been printed. Next is box.

- It is possible I will be able to offer an extra 15 SGMs depending on how many defective SGM PCBs I get.

I have also completed the Super Game Cartridge control logic design, now doing lots of simulation. Hopefully I will have the SGC completed by March, then Donkey Kong by July.

post-1432-0-93531300-1359417789_thumb.jpg

• Like 11