IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

Yeah, of all the places Coleco could have put it...they put it the hardest place to get to...especially if your printer is located on a desk where you have to reach around everything else to get to it.

Man, I wish the On/Off Switch for the ADAM was located there. It would be a helluva lot more convenient than reaching around to the back of the Printer or to a place where you have an external power supply located.

Great looking ADAM Computer setup there ColecoManiac! You've even gone to the completist extreme by inserted the AutoDialer into the side Expansion Bus... nice!

Your suggestion to use a Power Strip is a very good one but for myself, it wouldn't work seeing as I have my power strip on the floor and hidden, under my desk and not easily accessible. Thankfully I have a converted PC Power Supply and don't use the ADAM Printer to power the system.

Back in the day, a company called Data Backup actually sold a Front On/Off Mod Kit (just an extension bar) that worked well and to dampen the noise level, they also made a Printer Enclosure that sold very well.

Actually, I'm not sure RiverWest still holds it. It is listed as Coleco Entertainment Corporation, Manalapan, NJ. I know RiverWest was listed on their web page for a long time. They were a re-branding company based out of Chicago.

As far as Terry (Fowler), he lives in Texas and obtained Coleco's old 800 number shortly after they went out of business. I don't know if it's still functional, but it is still listed in several places on the eColeco web page. But I don't think Terry puts much time into updating his page anymore.

Opcode can probably tell us better than anyone Coleco's current status as he is dealing with them.

Yeah, by RiverWest Brands :|

Edited by jblenkle

Does anyone have an update on the release of the SGM for Colecovision? I pre-ordered it in the first few days it was announced but don't see any information indicating whether it's actually shipped to anyone yet.

Thanks!

Just read the last 50 posts in this thread, and you should be up to date. :)

SGM looks promising, but I will voice a concern.

With all the giddiness going on, it probably won't make me popular, but I'll say it. The days of homebrews for stock CV are dwindling. Within a short timespan, all homebrews and arcade ports will be aimed at SGM. Even games that are borderline on 'needing' the SGM's processing power will be pushed onto that format. CV fans without a SGM, or possibly the extra funds to buy one will be squarely left out. Am I wrong?

I understand what you mean sqoon, but ...

I would compare it to if you have a slow computer, but would like to have an advanced game.

You will not be able to run the game on your slow computer, then you do not buy the game unless you buy a faster computer.

The same applies to the future of ColecoVision, if not you buy a Super Game Module, you can not run the new games.

However, I am sure that there are still developed games without the use of SGM. :)

With all the giddiness going on, it probably won't make me popular, but I'll say it. The days of homebrews for stock CV are dwindling. Within a short timespan, all homebrews and arcade ports will be aimed at SGM. Even games that are borderline on 'needing' the SGM's processing power will be pushed onto that format. CV fans without a SGM, or possibly the extra funds to buy one will be squarely left out. Am I wrong?

I understand where you are coming from. I know the sgm was proposed as being released by coleco. It is cool that it is seeing the light of day. But at the same time being able to play homebrew games and ports on unmodified original hardware is the reason why i am interested in this particular homebrew movement. There was a shift in gaming in the late 80s and things changed. The reason i own and play colecovision is to remember the games before the shift.

Processing power? I thought it was just RAM and a sound chip?

I think your worries are very unfounded concerning "the days of Homebrews for stock CVs are dwindling". There are many current CV programmers who are developing standard 32K games and MegaCart games which all will work on the stock CV. I'm not going to sit here and list everyone and there planned games because the list is large and getting larger every day. So there will be no shortage of Homebrew releases that will work on a stock CV.

The way that you should probably look at the SGM and SGM required game releases is simply that these games would in all likelyhood never have been made for the CV in the first place if not for the existence of the SGM. Well, all of the SGM games could be made to run on a stock CV, but instead of ports from the MSX and ADAM Computer that we have seen so far, these games would've had to be programmed from the ground up and sacrifices made.

I created the SGM, I now must support it. That is the main reason I am resuming my publishing duties after a long while.

So in the next few years you can expect a number of SGM, games, ranging from arcade ports, to MSX ports to original or semi original games coming from Opcode Games. While that doesn't necessarily mean I won't be publish any more "regular" games, the truth is that the chances of that happening are slim. It is just a matter of priorities.

• Like 6

By the way, I would like to point out that colecovision.dk offers incorrect technical information about the SGM:

Just remember:

You can not use a NTSC SGM in a CBS PAL ColecoVision version.

There will later in 2013 be produced a modified PAL version.

However you will already now be able to buy SGM games.

I've already received one complaint about a worried customer about this issue, and I had to explain that the altered version of the SGM is only for the french SCART version of the ColecoVision console, not "regular" PAL/SECAM systems. The regular SGM will work on both NTSC and PAL systems.

I think that not only should Ole correct his info, but Eduardo should explain it clearly on opcodegames.com, because it's already generating some confusion.

EDIT: By the way, Eduardo, you should also clarify your policy about how you communicate with people who want to make sure they are on the waiting list for the second run of SGMs which will be released during the second half of this year. The same customer (which I mentioned above) also complained that he's registered to the "SGM newsletter", but has received no information at all since he registered. So first of all, do you currently manage an actual physical waiting list for this second run? If so, do you have a policy of replying to e-mail on this issue (which means that if people contacted you and received no reply, they should contact you again)?

There are a LOT of people who missed out on the pre-order period of the first 220 SGMs last year, and they're bitting their nails because they're buying the SGM launch games right now without being sure if they'll be able to buy an SGM later. This issue needs to be adressed.

Edited by Pixelboy

By the way, I would like to point out that colecovision.dk offers incorrect technical information about the SGM:

I've already received one complaint about a worried customer about this issue, and I had to explain that the altered version of the SGM is only for the french SCART version of the ColecoVision console, not "regular" PAL/SECAM systems. The regular SGM will work on both NTSC and PAL systems.

I think that not only should Ole correct his info, but Eduardo should explain it clearly on opcodegames.com, because it's already generating some confusion.

EDIT: By the way, Eduardo, you should also clarify your policy about how you communicate with people who want to make sure they are on the waiting list for the second run of SGMs which will be released during the second half of this year. The same customer (which I mentioned above) also complained that he's registered to the "SGM newsletter", but has received no information at all since he registered. So first of all, do you currently manage an actual physical waiting list for this second run? If so, do you have a policy of replying to e-mail on this issue (which means that if people contacted you and received no reply, they should contact you again)?

There are a LOT of people who missed out on the pre-order period of the first 220 SGMs last year, and they're bitting their nails because they're buying the SGM launch games right now without being sure if they'll be able to buy an SGM later. This issue needs to be adressed.

Ok, about PAL CVs and the SGM, that is true, the information in Ole's website is incorrect. The SGM is incompatible only with the French SCART version, not the regular PAL. The reason being that the French SCART version has a different expansion port pinout, and in fact it needs a different Atari module too.

About the mailing list. I use a system called PHPlist which is totally automatized, meaning that I only need to write a message and the system will distribute it to all subscribed users. So I have no idea why some people might not be getting communication. Perhaps people didn't complete their subscription properly (once you subscribe you are going to receive an email to confirm your subscription, you must reply to that), used an email account that blocks this kind of emails, etc.

As for a 2nd run of the SGM, the pre-order process will start as soon as I start shipping the first run, which means soon. Until there I am not taking pre-orders. I am going to manufacture another 100 SGMs next run, and that should be enough for all people currently interested, so don't worry, if you are waiting, you will get yours.

For me it is just too hard to keep up with emails, game orders, development, packaging design, etc, all at the same time. I also have a full time job, it is just impossible. So from now on I will have well defined order/pre-order windows for everything. Next game I release will come assembled from China, in a limited run (meaning a pre-defined number of copies). I will announce and start the order process and the game will be offered for a limited period of time, something like a few weeks. Once it is over, one will need to wait until the next window. That is the only way I can manage all the aspects of game making properly. Offering games like I do now is very troublesome for me, as I am forced to use my scarce free time to assemble games every week, go to the post office, etc. Not very productive. It might be inconvenient for some, as I understand some people take breaks from the hobby from time to time, but then they just need to wait until the next sales window. It is important to make it clear that if you miss a window it doesn't mean you will be without the game, you will just need to wait a bit longer.

I mean, the reason I am getting back to publishing is because I believe I can do a better job than I currently do. So I will have periods of development where I won't be selling anything, and replying only to strictly important emails (like support). Then I will have periods for selling games, where I will be focused on that, replying emails, managing lists, shipping games, etc. That worked pretty well with the SGM, so that is what I plan to do from now on.

So again, I apologize for the inconvenience. I have 5 games to release until the end of the year, 4 more 3rd party games to finish, a new cartridge PCB to finish ASAP, packaging development to coordinate, manage a major hardware project, not to mention a full time job and a family with 2 kids to take care of. So yeah, I am surely busy. So if you didn't get a reply from me, please accept my apologies. I promise when the time comes, you won't be without your SGM. :)

• Like 6

As for a 2nd run of the SGM, the pre-order process will start as soon as I start shipping the first run, which means soon. Until there I am not taking pre-orders. I am going to manufacture another 100 SGMs next run, and that should be enough for all people currently interested, so don't worry, if you are waiting, you will get yours.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and once the pre-order period starts for the second run of SGMs, I will contact everyone in my customer records to let them know. That way, we'll be sure to reach about 99% of all the interested parties who missed out on the first run.

And by the way, I'm sure Good Deal Games will want to get at least a few SGMs from that second run, because I know Michael T. would like to add a few copies of the four SGM launch games to his online inventory. Better keep that in mind... ;)