IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

The SGM already has as many games released for it that the Colecovision driving module which had very few games released for it.

Dukes of hazard
Destructor
Turbo
Bump'n'Jump
Pitstop
Zippy Race
Burn Rubber

Super Game Module Games Released or SGM partially supported games include

Dragon's Lair
Zaxxon Super Game
King's Valley
Thexder
Buck Rogers S. G.
Mecha-8
RollerBall

It's very cool. And it will be worth waiting for.

It's very expensive to do what he has done. I help in manufacturing design and I know some of the cost overrun problems that can occur. I personally think that $90 + shipping was too little to charge for this.

• Like 2

The SGM already has as many games released for it that the Colecovision driving module which had very few games released for it.

Dukes of hazard

Destructor

Turbo

Bump'n'Jump

Pitstop

Zippy Race

Burn Rubber

Dragon's Lair

Zaxxon Super Game

King's Valley

Thexder

Buck Rogers S. G.

Mecha-8

RollerBall

It's very expensive to do what he has done. I help in manufacturing design and I know some of the cost overrun problems that can occur. I personally think that $90 + shipping was too little to charge for this.

I think Dragon's lair, super zaxxon and Buck rogers S.G works on ADAM without the module.

Mecha 8 works also without module on stock colecovision (just sound is enhanced)

King valley, RollerBall and thexder require the module but are i think MSX port.

I don't see yet Game done really for the SGM.

• Like 1

Dragon's Lair

Zaxxon Super Game

King's Valley

Thexder

Buck Rogers S. G.

Mecha-8

RollerBall

I have every one of those SGM games and have paid for 2 second-run SGMs. Lots of fun seeing them collect dust with zero updates in ages.

• Like 1

I don't see yet Game done really for the SGM.

And you're not going to see one anytime soon, not from Opcode Games anyway. It's a given fact that Eduardo is not going to bother programming a new SGM game completely from scratch when he can spend less time giving SGM owners what they really want, namely arcade ports of Donkey Kong or Pengo, or MSX ports of Penguin Adventure, Gradius, Maze of Galious and other well-known games that generate hype just by mentioning them. Porting games like those is difficult, but it's still far less work than programming a game from scratch.

Besides, is there a C library that provides SGM-related functions, more notably for outputing sounds across 6 channels + 2 noise channels? Or a C function that disables the BIOS and turns the 0000h-1FFFh adressing range into regular RAM? Until we see such a library (and also some examples of how to configure the compiler to allow adressing the SGM's extra RAM) there's not going to see much new development done specifically for the SGM.

• Like 1

And you're not going to see one anytime soon, not from Opcode Games anyway. It's a given fact that Eduardo is not going to bother programming a new SGM game completely from scratch when he can spend less time giving SGM owners what they really want, namely arcade ports of Donkey Kong or Pengo, or MSX ports of Penguin Adventure, Gradius, Maze of Galious and other well-known games that generate hype just by mentioning them. Porting games like those is difficult, but it's still far less work than programming a game from scratch.

Besides, is there a C library that provides SGM-related functions, more notably for outputing sounds across 6 channels + 2 noise channels? Or a C function that disables the BIOS and turns the 0000h-1FFFh adressing range into regular RAM? Until we see such a library (and also some examples of how to configure the compiler to allow adressing the SGM's extra RAM) there's not going to see much new development done specifically for the SGM.

Porting Arcade game like Dk or Pengo to SGM is difficult and it is lot of work indeed. But porting an most of MSX game to SGM not at all. 80-90% of the work can be automatized, and i'm pretty sure that Eduardo has already made this kind of tool.

But i agree that SGM (at least a big part of) owner (or virtual owner) seems to be happy with MSX games. But it is pity, the Colecovision+SGM deserve better IMHO.

I'm not sure that the lack of C library is really a showstopper to have more SGM games.

• Like 1

Porting Arcade game like Dk or Pengo to SGM is difficult and it is lot of work indeed. But porting an most of MSX game to SGM not at all. 80-90% of the work can be automatized, and i'm pretty sure that Eduardo has already made this kind of tool.

But i agree that SGM (at least a big part of) owner (or virtual owner) seems to be happy with MSX games. But it is pity, the Colecovision+SGM deserve better IMHO.

What's better than Penguin Adventure, especially for us north-americans who have never owned an MSX computer? :P

I'm not sure that the lack of C library is really a showstopper to have more SGM games.

I'm pretty sure the sound routines in the CV's BIOS are hard-wired for three channels and one noise channel. New routines are required to output similar sound data that uses both the native sound chip and the auxiliary sound chip (in the SGM) in unison. Of course, one can code these routines for a specific game, but isn't it the point of C libraries to contain such routines so that everyone can use them without having to reinvent the wheel? :)

• Like 1

Bravo. Even if Eduardo ends up not being a thief, unless he is dead or in the ICU he is being rude beyond all standards. My heart goes out to you for your difficulties this year; you certainly don't need this kind of stress on top of all that.

Again, no excuse for lack of communication and the long delay, but these things do happen, particularly with the more ambitious homebrew projects. There have been more egregious acts of non-delivery on the Atari side by some fairly notable individuals and in various other vintage tech communities, so let's not try to make this reflective of what the ColecoVision community is all about.

• Like 4

Again, no excuse for lack of communication and the long delay, but these things do happen, particularly with the more ambitious homebrew projects. There have been more egregious acts of non-delivery on the Atari side by some fairly notable individuals and in various other vintage tech communities, so let's not try to make this reflective of what the ColecoVision community is all about.

I actually have no issue with the delay. I have an issue with the lack of communication. It is owed to those who have paid him in advance.

• Like 4

I don't think many SGM owners really want MSX ports, though. They'll just be happy to take what they can get. I think we'd all like to see more original titles.

• Like 1

There's a difference here between Opcode and other 'homebrewers', in that he's running a registered business. It's one thing for someone to take up a project in their spare time and not follow through. It's another for a company to take people's money and then vanish.

While I do feel that the nature of Eduardo's business should allow him a little more leeway in these types of situations, I personally feel that he has well overstepped those boundaries by now. He honestly should have run the SGM project as a Kickstarter campaign, so all the money would have been pledges towards the project rather than the purchase of a product (even though certain pledge levels would have received the SGM if the project were successful). If the project fell flat, so be it. He'd still owe people regular updates though.

• Like 1

Hey Eduardo,

Just wanted to drop you a note. It was great seeing you on the Big Island…. Wow, man you can sure surf!!! Hey are you selling those SGM Mai Tai Glasses, those were sweet?!!! Oh and BTW … were those two girls in your Porsche your sisters? MAN!! Hey and I’m sorry I didn’t have change for those hundreds … Anyway take care and don’t worry, I could hardly tell it was you with that wig and mustache.

Aloha!!!

Edited by scleme
  • Like 3

Hey Eduardo,

Just wanted to drop you a note. It was great seeing you on the Big Island…. Wow, man you can sure surf!!! Hey are you selling those SGM Mai Tai Glasses, those were sweet?!!! Oh and BTW … were those two girls in your Porsche your sisters? MAN!! Hey and I’m sorry I didn’t have change for those hundreds … Anyway take care and don’t worry, I could hardly tell it was you with that wig and mustache.

Aloha!!!

post-29022-0-77457800-1391141210_zpsf63b

Sorry Benny, had to be done. ;-)

• Like 1

You all have very good points and I agree with most. I'd gladly pay for an SGM.. in a heartbeat, If there was communication on his behalf. I just can't send away my hard-earned money like that, especially after reading all the complaints. So when Eduardo decides to jump back in to the public eye with some kind of news on the SGM, then, just Maybe I'll throw down the loot. I must say, I've Really been wanting to buy SGM games from both Pixelboy and CollectorVision, especially since they're still available.. But If I can't play the games, then what's the point? On the other hand, if I was in better financial shape, I'd buy some SGM games to at least sit on my shelf and admire with the rest of my collection.. But unfortunately that's not the case and that'll have to wait. I pray this situation changes for the best, especially for folks who paid And have been waiting over a year! I'm gonna just sit back and watch how this whole dilemma unfolds before throwing down the dough and hopefully OpCode does indeed release the 2nd batch This Year.. I wish everyone the best and I'll keep supporting it and the rest of the CV scene. Somethings gotta give sooner or later.. ;-)

I don't think many SGM owners really want MSX ports, though. They'll just be happy to take what they can get. I think we'd all like to see more original titles.

Well that's been 99% of OpCode's portfolio, nor has Eduardo ever seemed like he would do anything different. He's not a game designer, though his porting work has been phenomenal. I personally am not interested in shelling out $$ for games I can play on other systems, with better graphics, sound, control. But that seems to be very popular in the CV collecting community, which is completely fine with me.

In any case, given that Eduardo has had two major meltdowns and briefly "left" the hobby in the last several years, is it a surprise he may have done it again far more permanently? He had also been talking up a CV II, I assume licensed by Coleco, but can't see that happening. In the wake of his delays, we have one of our Canadian friends working on a replacement PCB for CV, which would well do everything the SGM/CV2 can/could do. Which reminds me of how CPUWiz designed an "XM" on a 7800 cartridge that would probably do the job just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 2

I certainly don't hold the entire ColecoVision community in contempt over one incident, as a matter of fact, I have bought games from Collectorvision, Pixelboy and even 4 games from Opcode (Pac-Man is amazing) in the past. Everyone was extremely pleasant and easy to deal with and any questions I may have had were answered within hours of asking before/during/after my purchases. I would 100% recommend the former two listed to anyone interested.

I don't post much on any forum that I'm signed up for but do enjoy reading all the great threads and the exciting news coming from them but now I am here with a legitimate concern. I have no issue with the time it has taken, I have an issue with the lack of information to where that time is going. I feel insulted that SGM's would go on Ebay before I received mine, if he needed more money to complete these I would have gladly thrown some extra bucks his way as long as he was up front and communicating regularly. Why would you take a break without even telling anybody ? How hard is is to send a mass email stating you need a few months off and how come only a selected few get responses from personal emails ? This isn't a very good way to hype your product, if my SGM ever does come I certainly will not be buying any games from Opcode again as he's already burned that bridge.

Again, I realize how large of an undertaking it is to put out something of this magnitude and to rely only on yourself and a few others to make it happen. What burns is that SGM's are going on Ebay and many of you got two or three of them before I received my one. I respect many are going to bat for him and trying to lighten the situation but he has my money and I have nothing, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's probably a duck.

Thank you DoctorTom for the kind words, if your friend is consistently complaining to you, your friends and all over Facebook about how his life sucks, don't just tell him to get a beer and stop bitching...listen...and don't pop pills, drugs are bad...

• Like 5

Well that's been 99% of OpCode's portfolio, nor has Eduardo ever seemed like he would do anything different. He's not a game designer, though his porting work has been phenomenal. I personally am not interested in shelling out $$ for games I can play on other systems, with better graphics, sound, control. But that seems to be very popular in the CV collecting community, which is completely fine with me.

In any case, given that Eduardo has had two major meltdowns and briefly "left" the hobby in the last several years, is it a surprise he may have done it again far more permanently? He had also been talking up a CV II, I assume licensed by Coleco, but can't see that happening. In the wake of his delays, we have one of our Canadian friends working on a replacement PCB for CV, which would well do everything the SGM/CV2 can/could do. Which reminds me of how CPUWiz designed an "XM" on a 7800 cartridge that would probably do the job just as well for a fraction of the cost.

I'm happy to hear that. I know the same thing is being done for the XM.

Eduardo, if you are out there, please reply! I'd really like to know if my order is still being processed; I still have not received any of my 3 SGMs I ordered from the first run in 2012. Please just drop me a line to let me know what's going on; any reply would be appreciated. I'm really sad because I haven't ordered any SGM games, I wanted to wait to make sure I had the unit before buying the games. Thanks.

• Like 1

Eduardo, if you are out there, please reply! I'd really like to know if my order is still being processed; I still have not received any of my 3 SGMs I ordered from the first run in 2012. Please just drop me a line to let me know what's going on; any reply would be appreciated. I'm really sad because I haven't ordered any SGM games, I wanted to wait to make sure I had the unit before buying the games. Thanks.

Out of interest, did you pre-pay for all three systems?

Same here ! I prepaid in full for 2 of these back in September 2012. And I have not moved at all. My address has been the same for many years ! I sent Eduardo several emails regarding my order. Because I have not received my order yet from him. So I hope that I receive them asap. ! I will update this if he replies back to me or sends them to me.

Ok, Guys!

Enough is enough!

I hear your pain while I could understand why Eduardo is MIA ....

Here's what I can do to help you guys:

I've have Eduardo's personal home address, I'll send him a letter explaining people here are really worried about never receive their orders and tell him to just drop by and say: something

This's all I can do to help you guys

Is it a good idea? any suggestions/thoughs?

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 3

Well, being that I have had my SGM for months, I am somewhat neutral on the subject, but it might be a good idea to try to contact him. I am the first to admit that I've been on Eduardo's bad side (in the past)...and I am fearful if the veiled threats, complaining, etc., continue here that he'll just decide to take an even longer leave than he already has.

But yeah, him stopping by, just to say, "hey, stuff has happened, I've been away, but I will be back," would do a lot to ease the tension around here.

Ok, Guys!

Enough is enough!

I hear your pain while I could understand why Eduardo is MIA ....

Here's what I can do to help you guys:

I've have Eduardo's personal home address, I'll send him a letter explaining people here are really worried about never receive their orders and tell him to just drop by and say: something

This's all I can do to help you guys

Is it a good idea? any suggestions/thoughs?

• Like 1