IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

(last post for today, I really do need to get back to work ... and I'd rather talk about the technical implementation of the SGM hardware :) )

Glad to see this thread take a productive and positive direction instead of the previous negative posts. :thumbsup: ;-)

I understand people have to vent and everyone has spoken up pretty much.. ;)

Kudos to you wileyc and to also 5-11under for coming in and taking a different approach and perhaps better route altogether to finally getting SGM's out to ColecoVision fans everywhere.

I dont wasnt to jinx anything but Im glad people know this technology and can still build it if OpCode decides to not make anymore. People would reverse engineer them anyway at some point im sure..

I'd really like to see OpCode's SGM just because and also packaging is important to me. I would LOVE to see a CIB SGM right next to all my other CIB CV hardware! Im sure you all would, duh! :grin:

In the end, I'm a gamer. If 5-11under take's over the project and makes loose SGM units, I'd snag one up if and when its available. :grin:

Unless I get lucky and obtain one through a trade something like that, ill just wait for this version.. but im not paying 400+ for an OpCode unit ;) Thats insane.. I like to think im hardcore at times but im Not that hardcore!

If there was a unrealeased prototype game and the ColecoVision Brotherhood needed a donation towards it or something of that nature, then THAT's where my $400+ would go..

I still want to buy SGM games to, just waiting for a little extra cash. Sucks I wont be able to play them yet but I still want to support the all the homebrewers who made the games, they would look lovely on my shelf I guess :-o

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

Kudos to you wileyc and to also 5-11under for coming in and taking a different approach and perhaps better route altogether to finally getting SGM's out to ColecoVision fans everywhere.

Thanks for that; much appreciated.

Side question: are there any released and easily obtainable games that use the SGM sound chip?

I'm currently using the SGM test binary to verify correctness. Making the console look like an Adam was a no-brainer (thanks to chart45's precedent), making the RAM look like the SGM was easy given that we'd ultimately need address decode logic at some point, and unmapping the BIOS at 0x0000 was only slightly harder and easily solveable once I realized that the expansion slot had override the memory-mapping '138 to make the Adam Expansion Module work.

The sound chip is ... slightly harder. Passing the test isn't hard; making sure that the audio gets routed back through the expansion slot is slightly less easy. Digital is easy, analog is unpleasant.

(and if the SGM test binary outputs a test sound, then my implementation fails completely :( )

Edited by wileyc
  • Like 1

I know Mecha8 detect the SGM if present and use its Sound Chip with enhanced music . If not found , it will use the C.V sound chip.

Yep, you're right -- I should be hearing something from the SGM chip, didn't test using that binary without the SGM installed. Clearly I've screwed something up ... probably an accidental bridge to ground somewhere.

Removing the SGM-alike (and using a regular cartridge) results in normal sound operation, so luckily I didn't toast my console. I'm (now really!) done for the night. I'll take another whack at it again in a day or so.

(edit: lots of accuracy. It's been a long and unpleasant day, was hoping to solder a couple of connections and have it magically good to go after interminable meetings, I'm now done for awhile)

Edited by wileyc

Yep, you're right -- I should be hearing something from the SGM chip, didn't test using that binary without the SGM installed. Clearly I've screwed something up ... probably an accidental bridge to ground somewhere.

Removing the SGM-alike (and using a regular cartridge) results in normal sound operation, so luckily I didn't toast my console. I'm (now really!) done for the night. I'll take another whack at it again in a day or so.

(edit: lots of accuracy. It's been a long and unpleasant day, was hoping to solder a couple of connections and have it magically good to go after interminable meetings, I'm now done for awhile)

Will you be making your clone PAL compatible?

He did not tell you what to do, he told you what to NOT do ! :lol:

You have a point...if I wrote "don't tell me what not to do", it would have lost that nerd-rage angle I was looking for...but it woulda given it that quasi-Shakespearean touch, and that's always nice. Hey, wait a second...it's not April yet, I've got to go get busy shutting up already :D

• Like 1

Look I don't mean to step on toes, but does it make sense to have two different people producing Colecovision "PCB replacements?" Especially if one or both will have SGM capabilities?

From what I read, it sounds like Wileyc is just making something for his own uses, but will put the specs out for those that want to make one themselves. I am pretty sure he said he didn't want to get into the whole mess of producing something.

I don't blame him. Neither would I.

The technical stuff is way over my head, but it is always an opportunity to learn, correct?….

Hmmm, maybe ill start shopping around for an ADAM AutoDialer so I can use the case whenever a drop in becomes available. Not many around on ebay though and i dont want to ruin a boxed example or anything like that. Hopefully someone's got one broken/for parts? or maybe im thinking too far ahead?

i think i will be more of a pcb with 3 or 4 chips 60 pin edge connector maybe it wont fit in the case...

in my case i dont care i just want to play those sgm games and im not sure but if we hook only the sound chip to the adam they should work since the sgm mem its not activated when hook to adam

Hello yes I prepaid for my order of 2 First Run Super Game Modules in FULL on October 1 2012.Then on April 19 2013. He sent me an e-mail confirming about my order of 2 Super Game Modules.I sent him 2 replies confirming my address is the same and my order is correct. I sent him 2 replies to that e-mail and he never replied back to my e-mails.Then he sent me an e-mail on 7/25/2013 explaining that he had some problems with printing issues and box issues or label issues. I replied to that e-mail and he never replied back to my e-mail. So I have no idea where he is and what is happening. I just want my order of 2 Brand New SGMs to be in my hand. Keep in mind that 6-8 of the SGM games are SOLD OUT so I am unable to buy the SGM games. So I have no idea what I should do about this ! :(. I am very sick of reseller snagging up the extra copies of the games and just sit on them. Or throw them on ebay for high prices that is very UNFAIR to us collectors. But I do understand that the creators/publishers do not want to sit on excessive overstocks of their games.I do see resellers selling them for higher prices on ebay and certain websites ! Yes I had to vent here. So I hope Eduardo chimes in and posts an update and keeps us updated on our orders.But about the sold out SGM games there seems like nothing we can do about that. Except be a vicious vulture and watch ever forums,stores,ebay and other websites to buy these homebrews and ports to the CV system ! .

Weird I tried posting image of my payment of $180 to Eduardo Mello on October 1 2012. Atariage forums said that (You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community..
I have no idea why !

Hello yes I prepaid for my order of 2 First Run Super Game Modules in FULL on October 1 2012.Then on April 19 2013. He sent me an e-mail confirming about my order of 2 Super Game Modules.I sent him 2 replies confirming my address is the same and my order is correct. I sent him 2 replies to that e-mail and he never replied back to my e-mails.Then he sent me an e-mail on 7/25/2013 explaining that he had some problems with printing issues and box issues or label issues. I replied to that e-mail and he never replied back to my e-mail. So I have no idea where he is and what is happening. I just want my order of 2 Brand New SGMs to be in my hand. Keep in mind that 6-8 of the SGM games are SOLD OUT so I am unable to buy the SGM games. So I have no idea what I should do about this ! :(. I am very sick of reseller snagging up the extra copies of the games and just sit on them. Or throw them on ebay for high prices that is very UNFAIR to us collectors. But I do understand that the creators/publishers do not want to sit on excessive overstocks of their games.I do see resellers selling them for higher prices on ebay and certain websites ! Yes I had to vent here. So I hope Eduardo chimes in and posts an update and keeps us updated on our orders.But about the sold out SGM games there seems like nothing we can do about that. Except be a vicious vulture and watch ever forums,stores,ebay and other websites to buy these homebrews and ports to the CV system ! .

Weird I tried posting image of my payment of $180 to Eduardo Mello on October 1 2012. Atariage forums said that (You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community..
I have no idea why !

This is very hypothetical at this point, but I currently own all SGM games produced. I paid for two second-run SGMs, and am not sure if I'll ever get them right now.

If you end up with an SGM, and down the road I don't, I'll certainly be selling off those SGM games here, and not at the inflated eBay prices. However, I'm holding out hope I can one day play them.

I have no idea why !

Its ok, we believe you. You don't need to post it. I'm sure Ed has your details safe and sound somewhere on "the list"

I also have paid for 2 units, but on the second run. I don't feel right about complaining though when there are people still waiting from the first run.

I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment and I'd *almost* consider selling my place in the queue, but I really do want them and what buyer would be willing to take the punt at this point?

Hello yes I prepaid for my order of 2 First Run Super Game Modules in FULL on October 1 2012...

I am very sick of reseller snagging up the extra copies of the games and just sit on them. Or throw them on ebay for high prices that is very UNFAIR to us collectors.

You did say that you ordered two first run SGM's right? Just sayin... :roll:

Truthfully, quantities of almost all the SGM games lingered for quite a while before being sold out, so you did have an opportunity to purchase them. I can understand not wanting to get stuck with the games and no SGM unit, but at the same time, you can't be pissed that other people were willing to take the chance. For all we know, those "resellers" might get stuck holding the bag on those as well.

I paid for 2 (first run), didn't receive anything as I wrote before twice here, as a lot of us.

In France, you have the possibility to ask help to the law and justice to force someone to do something he was paid for (It's free to do it).

What about in US ? I know some of you will be upset by my question but we don't have any news for a long time ago, so, I would like to find a "motivation" for him ^^