IGNORED

Any trick for taking the plastic handle off of the controller

AtariBrian

Atari actually made a controller handle puller just for this task. Best electronics carries it, and if you do a lot of controller rebuilding, it is worth it.

Otherwise, if you don't have the tool,one way to get it off is to use a really extra long screwdriver (or other appropriate prying tool), and slide the shaft of hte tool under the controller handle where you can get leverage to push/pull straight up on the handle. Beware, some handles come off a lot easier than others.

Another way, is to get some small pliers, and grab a hold of the metal shaft under the controller handle. Some small vice grips or channel locks work well. Once you get a get grip of the metal shaft on the controller, take your other hand and start twisting clockwise and counter clockwise while pulling up. It will eventually set free, but may take some work.

I just get the gold flex circuit...but i dont know if its really needed. Best has the Rev. 9 ones for under 3 dollars each... One i had done years ago doesnt have the gold flex circuit with tinfoil only and no gold parts and it works great. And I either use the triple dot buttons or the single larger contact fire button. Just use tinfoil on everything and it works. I use a loctite super glue pen.

Edited by AtariBrian

All the gold is expensive, a just as good alternative is using tinfoil and much cheaper... just takes more of your own time.

Two of my controllers have the tinfoil fix. They died when the flex circuits failed. You can actually see where the conductors within the flex circuits have physically split. when I saw those splits in the third controller, I knew then it would need to be completely rebuilt.