IGNORED

should I get a Lynx I or II?

toptenmaterial

Agreed the 1st looks cooler =)

The Lynx 2 has slightly better battery life, and has stereo sound (through headphones) on some games. Its easier to fit proto cards and flash cards into Lynx 2, due to lack of the 'door' that can make those cards hard to plug into a Lynx 1 - unless you remove the door like I did on my Lynx 1.

Overall Lynx 2 is better but I prefer Lynx 1.

I have small hands and prefer to hold the Lynx II, but my friend has normal sized hands and prefers holding the original Lynx. I have seen Lynx IIs with more scratched screens than original Lynxes, probably because the plastic is easier to scratch than the glass screen. I think the + shaped D-pad on the original Lynx is the best of all three D-pad designs though.

Edited by Cammy

Comfort on official cards is better on Lynx 1 imo. If you play a prototype card - or in my case use the zif socket card, the chip sticks out to the point it annoys your left hand on Lynx 1 (and youve got to remove the cart door to allow it to fit). On the Lynx 2 theres no problem with protos etc.

Edited by GadgetUK

I don't have a problem with most homebrews and protos on the Lynx I without taking the battery cover off. The exception is anything that has chips low on the board. So Diag cart, or any repro protos from Best Electronics, Video 61, Songbird Productions etc, work great. Hotdog which has the chip lower on the board is a tight fit, and EOTB which has a save chip lower on the board won't fit at all (without taking the battery cover off), but the rest work great for me.

I have small hands and prefer to hold the Lynx II, but my friend has normal sized hands and prefers holding the original Lynx. I have seen Lynx IIs with more scratched screens than original Lynxes, probably because the plastic is easier to scratch than the glass screen. I think the + shaped D-pad on the original Lynx is the best of all three D-pad designs though.

Good point about the screen glass - I didnt know that Lynx 1 screen was glass but it must be as the Lynx 1 I just bought has a perfect screen, not the slightest scratch on the screen at all despite the odd small mark on the case itself.

Really? Well I don't know for sure, it just seems like the screen itself is right there, rather than having a clear plastic window over it like the Lynx II. Perhaps it's just a different type of plastic, but it seems more scratch resistant anyway.

Both have their upsides but all in all I think I like the Lynx 2 a bit better. It's more compact and seems to do better on battreries than the original which just gobbled them up.

Never had any protos/homebrew but remember the 1st gen cards that didn't have the little curved "handle" bit at the end? I remember having to use needlenose plyers to get California Games out of the damn thing on occasion.

Either way $45 is a pretty sweet deal.

• 2 months later...