IGNORED

Composite Video Mod Quality?

Tempest

It's been awhile since I looked into the composite video mod for the Intellivision. Last time I looked the quality was kind of poor and there were brightness and ghosting issues. Has the quality of the mod improved any in the last few years? Is it a viable alternative to RF now? If so, are the new schematics available anywhere? Anyone have screen shots showing the quality of the mod?

• Like 1

i ordered one of these. i will get it between now and the 18th. i will test if it is better quality. i can build these easy. i am just getting one to test, and if it is better than others i can get all the specs off the parts to build them.

edit: i am still willing to do for both of you. i apologize that life was too busy for me before. however i want to wait til i get new board to see if these specs are better. also, if you buy a new rf from intvnut i will replace those as well

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

i ordered one of these. i will get it between now and the 18th. i will test if it is better quality. i can build these easy. i am just getting one to test, and if it is better than others i can get all the specs off the parts to build them.

edit: i am still willing to do for both of you. i apologize that life was too busy for me before. however i want to wait til i get new board to see if these specs are better. also, if you buy a new rf from intvnut i will replace those as well

Cool, keep me posted on what find out and I am almost ready to do something with one of mine :) And I bought some rf units from intvnut already :grin: so I am good to go there :thumbsup:

I'm still looking for a good composite mod as well, to go with my Atari and colecovision modded consoles. Would gladly pay for a nicely modded intellivision with good quality.

i think the atari 2600 mod is junk. coleco with atari module is much better. with the 2600 mod you cant get the colors correct on all the games. you have to compromise. i will let everyone know how good the quality is on the intv with this board. if it is better i will let everyone know. like i said, i can duplicate. also i am gonna try the 7800 mod. i hear that works on the intv as well

I'm in the same boat, though I cop to my own stupidity in some ways (when I modded my most recent INTV II, I didn't understand that the reason why I was getting different quality of video between AV1 and AV2 on my TV was because of the different display settings I had set for each input).

I have to think that as long as the current set up depends on tapping the video from the line going into the RF, it will never be better than the RF video output. I've found different games give different results -Burgertime looks great, but Tarmin looks like ass. I was really happy with the way I physically mounted the composite video in my machine, but I've reconciled that if I want to play my INTV, I'm better off just hooking up the RF cable instead.

I've a/v modded a handful of Intellivisions using the circuit that the above auction is based on (circuit is here). It does work, rather it can work, but to get it spot on I've had to tweak each install in some unique manner. A few of the tweaks I've used are listed in that Wiki, and I've also had to add bypass caps to calm noisy chips down, and maybe a few other things that I'm forgetting.

In my experience, the Inty 2 is harder than the other versions to get a clean picture out of.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just an update. I had that composite mod from Turkey installed on my Intellivision 1 this past weekend and it's working great. The only thing that I can see is that the colors MIGHT be slightly off as I can't get them to match the emulator screenshots exactly (the ground in Dig Dug in particular). I'm not sure if this is the mods fault, or if it's my monitor as the color required different adjusting on my 1702 and 1084 monitors. Still, it looks really nice, no ghosting or anything.

Just an update. I had that composite mod from Turkey installed on my Intellivision 1 this past weekend and it's working great. The only thing that I can see is that the colors MIGHT be slightly off as I can't get them to match the emulator screenshots exactly (the ground in Dig Dug in particular). I'm not sure if this is the mods fault, or if it's my monitor as the color required different adjusting on my 1702 and 1084 monitors. Still, it looks really nice, no ghosting or anything.

Thanks do you think you could take some pictures.

Ok, here are the pictures I promised. I noticed two things when I was taking pictures:

1. Bright red appears to be purplish (notice the smoke from the cig in Commando or the boarder in Worm Whomper)

2. Yellow isn't a bright as it should be (it's sort of yellow/brown). You can see this in Burgertime and in Commando.

3. No mater what I do I can't get the colors quite right in Dig Dug. I think this is the Red/Purple issue.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the mod or the monitor. I'll have to try another monitor and see.

Intelli1.JPG

Intelli2.JPG

Intelli3.JPG

Intelli4.JPG

Intelli5.JPG

Intelli6.JPG

Intelli7.JPG

Intelli9.JPG

Intelli12.JPG

Intelli13.JPG

Intelli14.JPG

Intelli15.JPG

I was able to get the colors more or less correct using a different monitor. My 1702 is in better shape than my 1084 apparently. They still don't match the emulator 100%, but they're much much closer (no more red is purple, yellow is brownish thing).

I was able to get the colors more or less correct using a different monitor. My 1702 is in better shape than my 1084 apparently. They still don't match the emulator 100%, but they're much much closer (no more red is purple, yellow is brownish thing).

there is a color pot that is adjustable on the motherboard. in the metal shielding there is a hole where you can stick a small flathead screw driver or a tv adjustment tool and correct the color. it should be on the back left corner (iirc) of the shielding if you leave the board installed. if you put a piece of scotch tape on the metal flathead screwdriver and cut off excess but leaving no metal exposed you can adjust it while running a game

Edited by pimpmaul69