IGNORED

Composite Video Mod Quality?

Tempest

i believe it to be a problem with the board and how it handles the rf unit. and yes removing the rf fixes it. i tried 3 new rf units on one system, all of them had ghosting. put one of them in another system and it had no ghosting. it could be just me but i have had ghosting on only one board version

We're on the same page here, then -- if it's being composite modified, it's best to remove te modulator. I have just the Intellivision II, and the ghosting was terrible. Better safe than sorry ...

I appreciate the offer, but I'm probably better off getting the service from someone in the US to save a little on shipping costs. A properly pre-modded console would be an option too, though I've rarely seen any for sale.

feel free to pm me.

We're on the same page here, then -- if it's being composite modified, it's best to remove te modulator. I have just the Intellivision II, and the ghosting was terrible. Better safe than sorry ...

on intv ii i believe all of them have ghosting. i havent found proof of one that doesnt.

Edited by pimpmaul69

So if I get the mod from Turkey do that and then go and do the Shunt circuit would that work.

If the Turkey mod is the Solarfox single-transistor mod, then probably yes.

If it's the two-transistor Intellivision wiki mod, then also yes but video quality is terrible with the shunt circuit.

Thanks for the reply cant seem to post the link to the ebay action.

If it's this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-A-V-Composite-Video-Mod-Kit-NTSC-PAL-DIY-/181043125890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2702de82

... then it's the Intellivision wiki circuit. It might work for you; it did NOT work for me with the shunt.

(edit: by "did NOT work" I mean "shunt voltage adjustment was extremely touchy, I didn't have a much smaller linear pot on hand to test it, I did have enough parts to build the SolarFox mod, and the guy who designed the shunt circuit flat-out stated the wiki circuit didn't work with his shunt.")

Edited by wileyc

i have been doing them in these here united states for a while now.... here is a pic (again) of a system i modded with a composite video mod, system changer mod and led mod.

It's hard to tell from the photo because it's a CRT instead of an LCD (which photographs clean, but obviously is not necessarily an ideal display), but I assume there are no issues with the mod, e.g., ghosting? If so, I'd love to either purchase a modded system or have one of mine modded (I have an Intellivision I, several Intellivision II's, and INTV III). Would you prefer a PM or do you have something more formal like an online storefront? Assuming the system changer and LED mods don't cause any incompatibility issues, the full blown modded experience would be my preference.

It's hard to tell from the photo because it's a CRT instead of an LCD (which photographs clean, but obviously is not necessarily an ideal display), but I assume there are no issues with the mod, e.g., ghosting? If so, I'd love to either purchase a modded system or have one of mine modded (I have an Intellivision I, several Intellivision II's, and INTV III). Would you prefer a PM or do you have something more formal like an online storefront? Assuming the system changer and LED mods don't cause any incompatibility issues, the full blown modded experience would be my preference.

pm me

I haven't gotten around to teaching myself basic electronic skills, so the "attitude" is perfectly understandable. I don't know if I ever will get around to it, so the offer stands. The will is there, just not the time.

I agree; I'm in the same boat.

I sent mine in to pimpmaul and will have it back, soon!

I don't think it's an "attitude" at all. It's concern for wanting professional-quality work, and the fact that I have almost no experiences means that outcome is not so likely.

I don't trust myself with very much in the mod department, because I'm lacking basic electronic skills, too. I've done extremely little soldering, and it was rough work on things that aren't very delicate. I'm sure I'm conscientious and meticulous enough to learn, but I don't want to practice on precious vintage video game or computer hardware. So the thing to do is to get a bunch of old PC boards and practice, and probably get some better equipment and weed through dozens of websites and Youtube videos. Even then, the first results probably wouldn't be the most desirable, much like the first time an amateur does drywall (start in the closets!) or auto body/paint. I just want a console (or computer) done correctly, without risking my classic hardware.

All of the "junk" PC boards I've run across use surface-mount components (they have since the 1990s???) and I think (don't know) that's a separate skill with separate equipment, and gee, the components require a magnifying glass to see. It's 1980s computers and consoles that I want to mod, and I don't see many junk boards of that stuff around anymore to practice on.

According to the diagram, I run video and Voltage from the RF points on the board through a few components and then into ground.  That doesn't sound right to me.  I think he's missing something.

And just for the record, I's like to say that the soldered RF shielding is a PITA.

The zener diode is the key. This is the circuit that's in the RF modulator.

I agree; I'm in the same boat.

I sent mine in to pimpmaul and will have it back, soon!

I don't think it's an "attitude" at all. It's concern for wanting professional-quality work, and the fact that I have almost no experiences means that outcome is not so likely.

I don't trust myself with very much in the mod department, because I'm lacking basic electronic skills, too. I've done extremely little soldering, and it was rough work on things that aren't very delicate. I'm sure I'm conscientious and meticulous enough to learn, but I don't want to practice on precious vintage video game or computer hardware. So the thing to do is to get a bunch of old PC boards and practice, and probably get some better equipment and weed through dozens of websites and Youtube videos. Even then, the first results probably wouldn't be the most desirable, much like the first time an amateur does drywall (start in the closets!) or auto body/paint. I just want a console (or computer) done correctly, without risking my classic hardware.

All of the "junk" PC boards I've run across use surface-mount components (they have since the 1990s???) and I think (don't know) that's a separate skill with separate equipment, and gee, the components require a magnifying glass to see. It's 1980s computers and consoles that I want to mod, and I don't see many junk boards of that stuff around anymore to practice on.

Note to self: do NOT post controversial opinions before the morning coffee has kicked in. I regret opening this can of worms.

I'm not going to convert you folks over to my way of thinking, and vice versa. Personally, my only "official" electronics training was a four-week ETMO (Electronics Tech for Mechanical Operators, or "twidge-mo") in nuke school. Everything after that was just willingness to figure things out (and a lack of money to throw at other people to fix problems).

Although these consoles are precious to us, they are regarded as valueless by 99% of the world (excepting eBay sellers, of course). As such, there's a limited number of people who have the willingness and the know-how to fix them when they break -- and that number is decreasing as time goes on. For example, have a look at the Colecovision forum and read the posts surrounding Yurkie's decision to stop his modification/repair service. Although he later reversed his decision, he may well reverse that reversal if he decides that it's no longer cost-effective to do repair work.

When he goes, who will fill his shoes? Who will fill pimpmaul69's? To restate my initial thesis, this gear is not difficult to work on. It's all DIP, some of it socketed, no SMD or other things that a fourteen-year-old-with-a-soldering-iron can't handle. The schematics are out there ... even the repair manual is out there.

If we don't learn how things work and how to keep them running, sooner or later there won't be any gear left running because there won't be anyone willing to fix it.

Anyway. Rant over. We're just having a friendly argument, and we're all friends here anyway, except maybe for the Hovver Bovver guys :)

• Like 2

Agreed, this isn't an argument. I suppose part of my fear comes from the horror stories of people lifting traces and de-laminating circuit boards, that are on this very site. Most of it pertains to Atari XE equipment, which seems to have a reputation for a substandard-quality board. As soon as either of those things happen, it's straight to the garbage can, as I know I can't fix a lifted trace or de-laminated board, even if I *could* do the rest of the mod.

Agreed, this isn't an argument. I suppose part of my fear comes from the horror stories of people lifting traces and de-laminating circuit boards, that are on this very site. Most of it pertains to Atari XE equipment, which seems to have a reputation for a substandard-quality board. As soon as either of those things happen, it's straight to the garbage can, as I know I can't fix a lifted trace or de-laminated board, even if I *could* do the rest of the mod.

Ditto for the Colecovision. Lifting traces is par for the course there -- I screwed two of the data lines up when I did the +5VDC RAM modification on my (only) unit. Since the schematic was available, I ran a couple of thin wires from the video chip and all was well.

Lesson learned was to NOT use desoldering braid to clean up pads on Coleco gear; just use rubbing alcohol

(maybe there should be a thread in the hardware section covering machine- or manufacturer-specific board rework/repair methods)

honestly i have to agree with you. i have seen hundreds of systems that weekend warriors have destroyed. i can work miracles, but sometimes there is no going back.

Ditto for the Colecovision. Lifting traces is par for the course there -- I screwed two of the data lines up when I did the +5VDC RAM modification on my (only) unit. Since the schematic was available, I ran a couple of thin wires from the video chip and all was well.

Lesson learned was to NOT use desoldering braid to clean up pads on Coleco gear; just use rubbing alcohol

(maybe there should be a thread in the hardware section covering machine- or manufacturer-specific board rework/repair methods)

colecos are horrible as far as traces go. i use a desoldering iron to do the ram/bios/video etc.. but i use a precision flathead screwdriver to hold the trace down so the desoldering iron doesnt rip the trace off the board

• Like 1

colecos are horrible as far as traces go. i use a desoldering iron to do the ram/bios/video etc.. but i use a precision flathead screwdriver to hold the trace down so the desoldering iron doesnt rip the trace off the board

I'm right there with you. I am not looking forwarding to desoldering the CPU when I get around to installing my homebrew SGM clone. I may just end up snipping the leads off the chip and pulling them out of the traces, as Z80s are still pretty common.

(my intention is to add 32k and the AY sound chip, picking up address/data via an interface board between the CPU and the motherboard, and decoding via a very small PAL replacing the 74LS138 ... but must finish Intellivision/Colecovision controller adapter first)

I'm right there with you. I am not looking forwarding to desoldering the CPU when I get around to installing my homebrew SGM clone. I may just end up snipping the leads off the chip and pulling them out of the traces, as Z80s are still pretty common.

(my intention is to add 32k and the AY sound chip, picking up address/data via an interface board between the CPU and the motherboard, and decoding via a very small PAL replacing the 74LS138 ... but must finish Intellivision/Colecovision controller adapter first)

probably the best thing to do.. the z80 chip is hella harder than the ram chips to remove

Thanks again wileyc yes that's the one, I don't mind tying the mod myself but I would need more step buy step instructions with big pictures and arrows pointing to everything that needs to be done and even then anything that can be done in kit form premade done. :)

I had a bit of a laugh at your Not to self comment. :)

Thanks again wileyc yes that's the one, I don't mind tying the mod myself but I would need more step buy step instructions with big pictures and arrows pointing to everything that needs to be done and even then anything that can be done in kit form premade done. :)

I had a bit of a laugh at your Not to self comment. :)

It's not a hard circuit to build, but I can see how incorporating the shunt into it might be confusing. Although I got it working almost immediately, it took me awhile to realize what it was actually doing.

I'll see if I can generate a redrawn schematic that can easily be physically mapped onto a perfboard. I can give instructions on how to mount this into an Intellivision II, including where to put the RCA jacks, but I can't help you with any other model.

(regarding the note to self: I aim to please :) )

Got my INTV back from pimpmaul69 today!

It rocks, especially-so on the CRT I intend to use it on. I never thought I'd see the day of INTV with crystal-clear picture! I hate RF, and this was my last classic console still on it....until now!

It's hard to photo a CRT with a cheap digicam (moire interference patterns, etc) but I tried anyway....

post-16281-0-40995700-1385003193_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-96039900-1385003209_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-64400900-1385003199_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-63786900-1385003216_thumb.jpg