IGNORED

Street Fighter - The Movie - The Game

Cybergoth

I remember back in my college days that a few friends and I managed to get the arcade version of the game set to free play. The game sucked and wasn't even worth playing for free especially when the arcade had gems like X Men: Children of the Atom, Tekken 2, Street Fighter Alpha, and Aliens vs Predator.

Ok, so I'm the kind of person that can enjoy a bad movie just because it is really bad. Maybe I'm also the kind of person that can enjoy a bad game just because it is that bad. I should look into buying the board for this arcade game. If no one else likes it maybe I could pick it up cheap.

The arcade game's not the same as the home versions. Arcade game is way crappier; home game is basically super street fighter 2 turbo.

Is it? Not sure how it can be a bad game if it's just an incredibly popular game with different sprites. Especially if some of those sprites are Kylie Minogue.

After reading these comments, I checked the reviews on YouTube.

Classic Game Room did an excellent piece on the Playstation game and primarily played as Chun-li in their review (so already they caught my interest). I never saw Ming-Na do the famous Spinning Bird Kick but according to the instruction manual Chun-li can perform that maneuver just fine in SF: The Movie The Game.

I wonder how Ming-Na felt hanging upside down spread eagle for that particular sprite capture session. :)

I might pick up this game if I see it in my local retro store just for that alone.

I never played the PS version, but I do own the Saturn version - it's a real novelty item and since it does play by Super SF2 gameplay rules (but with digitized sprites), it is kind of fun. The problems with the game is that (1) annoying load times and (2) its too slow. I don't recall there being a way to alter the gameplay speed.

I like i much more that that recent Chun-Li film. In fact ... I consider it a must-own DVD!

I think the best way to get to know Street Fighter The Movie The Game is to take a couple days off of work, and really get to know the different versions. Most people don't set aside enough time to truly get to know this fantastic title. :twisted:

I'd normally do that, but having just learned that it's basically SSF2T once again, I think I'll ignore it entirely and spend the time with "X-Men: Children of the Atom" instead. Of course now it would be interesting to know if that one is better on the Playstation or the Saturn :D

Is it? Not sure how it can be a bad game if it's just an incredibly popular game with different sprites. Especially if some of those sprites are Kylie Minogue.

I think you'll find that Street Fighter The Movie The Arcade Game is actually not all that popular.

I think we're confusing each other.

Home Version = Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo w/ digitized sprites

Arcade Version = thrown together the same Chicago-based dinks that made BloodStorm, Ninja Clowns, and Golden Tee Golf

Edited by Rex Dart

I think we're confusing each other.

Home Version = Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo w/ digitized sprites

Arcade Version = thrown together the same Chicago-based dinks that made BloodStorm, Ninja Clowns, and Golden Tee Golf

Gotcha.

My point was that I always see the home version getting bashed (the OP is just one example), and I have no idea why. Turbo sold a bajillion copies and was loved by everyone... how can the same game with different graphics be suddenly crap?

I have no opinion on the arcade version.

My point was that I always see the home version getting bashed (the OP is just one example), and I have no idea why. Turbo sold a bajillion copies and was loved by everyone... how can the same game with different graphics be suddenly crap?

If I recall, it didn't feel like turbo, but even if was just turbo with new graphics, those graphics remove 100% of the charm of the game.

Fighters rely on polish on top of polish to work, and that game had none.

If I recall, it didn't feel like turbo, but even if was just turbo with new graphics, those graphics remove 100% of the charm of the game.

Fighters rely on polish on top of polish to work, and that game had none.

Agreed. The tinier real-world disgitized arms, legs, feet and fists of the digitized characters don't have the visual wallop of the hand-drawn SF characters. The gameplay feels weird as a result. And because it is on Ram-deprived Saturn and PS, it doesn't seem to move as smoothly either. But still not a horrible game like the coin-op version. You'll have to play it at home to understand how it feels like SF turbo, yet still 'off' a bit.

My point was that I always see the home version getting bashed (the OP is just one example), and I have no idea why.

I only read a couple of reviews and never played it myself - else I wouldn't have asked which of the two home versions I should possibly buy :)

On GameFAQs the playstation version scored 43% on average, based on votes from 31 different users, so I thought it was safe to assume it's bad. Since I assumed it is bad I said "I know it is bad" straight away to prevent some smartasses from derailing the topic by telling me witty stuff like "They both suck". Guess you found another way... :lolblue: