IGNORED

Are there any east coast Retro Gaming Expos?

Brian O

Here is an extremely comprehensive directory on many game stores in the U.S. Thanks to this, I found a great store only an hour away from where I live! Here is the link.

http://www.racketboy...pic.php?t=22721

Good luck :)

Thanks for that. Digital Press is only 10 mins from me. I know they have gaming events, but it's generally a smaller gathering. I guess I'll take what I can get :)

-B

• Like 1

Midwest Gaming Classic is somewhat close.....they used to run PhillyClassic but they quit doing it, sadly. MGC is really the best bet, it's a stellar show from what I hear!

I may have to try and get out there. I just hate flying. Maybe I'll just load up on Xanax and do my best B.A. Barracus impersonation!

-B

After seeing all of the great pics from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, it got me wondering if there are any that take place (or will, in the future take place), on this side of the US?

I thought it was illegal to hold a Retro Gaming Expo anywhere besides the middle of a desert?

Midwest Gaming Classic is somewhat close.....they used to run PhillyClassic but they quit doing it, sadly. MGC is really the best bet, it's a stellar show from what I hear!

David Neuman ran Philly Classic. Not the Midwest Gaming Classic people.

Allan

I've been wanting to work on getting something going in Western NY, but so far I've neither had the time or resources to really get any kind of plan together.

*sigh*

I remember when you posted about that in a seperate thread a while ago. That's be absolutely awesome (I'm just over in Syracuse), but you're right. It's a huge time committment, and of money as well. I would imagine that those 1st few years things would be very, very slow and financially may not even cover cost. But it would be exciting to see it if it could gain some kind of sizeable mass over time.

Give me a shout if you ever get to a spot where you're in a better position to pull the trigger on something. I'd love to collaborate on something like this!

*cough* How about Pittsburgh area? *cough*

If da burgh is good enough for Batman and Catwoman, its good enough for a retro gaming show! In fact, there's the name it could be: "The Burgh Classic, n'at!" Heck, maybe Pittsburgh-based Classic Game Room HD could be involved. yeah!

Of course I have no ulterior motive for suggesting the Pittsburgh area. :ponder:

*cough* How about Pittsburgh area? *cough*

If da burgh is good enough for Batman and Catwoman, its good enough for a retro gaming show! In fact, there's the name it could be: "The Burgh Classic, n'at!" Heck, maybe Pittsburgh-based Classic Game Room HD could be involved. yeah!

Of course I have no ulterior motive for suggesting the Pittsburgh area. :ponder:

Would be nice to have one in the burgh... but if there hasn't ever been one my now, probably won't happen.

I suppose you could always as Mark (I think that is his name) from classic game room. What you need for someone to spearhead something like this is someone that has some time and disposable income.

Edited by cybercylon

I just moved back to NJ in April after being Denver and south Florida for the last twenty years and I've been looking around for a local event. I’d love to see an event be organized here in the northeast.

It would be easy enough to start a local “retro gaming social group” and slowly grow it from there.

-Bill

Did anyone attend the Philly Classic? Any idea why it failed? How was attendance?

I went 2 or 3 times in the earlier 2000's. It was awesome each time - the last one I attended was in spring of 2002 or 2003, and at a larger venue than before, near Valley Forge I think. Hard to remember. I remember Atari Age's excellent and huge area; Adventure II 5200 was still in development; I played Joust Pong contest and won a free T-shirt; there were Kaboom! contests which I quickly was eliminated; nice large free-play arcade including sit-down Star Wars and many others; I met Howard Scott Warshaw and the girl from Caddyshack / Tron (she was older by then of course), and I met Tommy Tallarico too. And I bought lots of old games.

EDIT - oh yeah, Curt Vendel had a 5200 kiosk setup featuring 5200 homebrew demos like Koffi, Castle Blast I seem to recall seeing Castle Crisis there for the first time too, although I could be remembering multiple shows as one.

It appears the show was on-par with the PRGE based on pictures. But there was drama and the PC stopped; another show popped up though "Too Many Games", and some people mistakenly think it is the same people, but that evidently isn't true.

Edited by Cafeman

I went 2 or 3 times in the earlier 2000's. It was awesome each time - the last one I attended was in spring of 2002 or 2003, and at a larger venue than before, near Valley Forge I think. Hard to remember. I remember Atari Age's excellent and huge area; Adventure II 5200 was still in development; I played Joust Pong contest and won a free T-shirt; there were Kaboom! contests which I quickly was eliminated; nice large free-play arcade including sit-down Star Wars and many others; I met Howard Scott Warshaw and the girl from Caddyshack / Tron (she was older by then of course), and I met Tommy Tallarico too. And I bought lots of old games.

EDIT - oh yeah, Curt Vendel had a 5200 kiosk setup featuring 5200 homebrew demos like Koffi, Castle Blast I seem to recall seeing Castle Crisis there for the first time too, although I could be remembering multiple shows as one.

It appears the show was on-par with the PRGE based on pictures. But there was drama and the PC stopped; another show popped up though "Too Many Games", and some people mistakenly think it is the same people, but that evidently isn't true.

Just not really sure how much interest there would be in SW PA anyway. If there are any classic game groups, I certainly don't know about them (not that I would have time anyway). When VG Live was here, Heinz Hall was not exactly packed... at least when I went.

Looking on the net, there are far more classic game stores there (Philly) too. All we have left is the overpriced Exchange and a few hole in the wall stores. BTW... did you know Groovy closed. I stopped by over a month ago. There were a bunch of CIB O2 games I wanted looking through the window, but they were closed. When I called the next day, the lady that owns it said they were closed for good and packing it up.

So my guess is if anything ever does get started up in our neck of the woods, it would more likely happen in Philly.... no one cares about us yinzers ;-)

Edited by cybercylon

BTW... did you know Groovy closed. I stopped by over a month ago. There were a bunch of CIB O2 games I wanted looking through the window, but they were closed. When I called the next day, the lady that owns it said they were closed for good and packing it up.

GASP! Well .. about a month ago I stopped by and there were "9/11 conspiracy" posters and information pasted all over their windows, and they were closed as a kind of 'statement'. Kinda disturbing. So they closed for good ... thats too bad, I never saw a place like it anywhere else. Wonder where they unloaded all those retro toys?

EDIT - a link to show the store -- http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/January-2012/Personal-Space-Toy-Story/

Edited by Cafeman

I went to all of the except for the first one (PC 2 is where the infamous RCA Studio II Bingo cart was shown). They were always well attended and were a lot of fun. They stopped because the organizers just didn't want to do it anymore. It was a lot of work for them and I'm sure they didn't make much money on it if CGE is any gauge.

I think I met you at the 2001 PC. You were talking about Funky Fish and I had never heard of it. Its funny I even remember that. I was brand new at this retro gaming thing and it was great. Met the DP guys, I remember. I don't think AtariAge existed yet. ?

Holy crap! I just found these links at my old site - I did photoramas of both the shows I attended! Check these out:

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/phillyexpo2001/

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/phillyexpo2002/

I think I met you at the 2001 PC. You were talking about Funky Fish and I had never heard of it. Its funny I even remember that. I was brand new at this retro gaming thing and it was great. Met the DP guys, I remember. I don't think AtariAge existed yet. ?

Holy crap! I just found these links at my old site - I did photoramas of both the shows I attended! Check these out:

http://cafeman.www9....phillyexpo2001/

http://cafeman.www9....phillyexpo2002/

Man I look so young. And I have more hair! :)

Too bad there are no pictures of the RCA Studio II stuff. SOMEONE had to have taken a picture of it!

It was a lot of work for them and I'm sure they didn't make much money on it if CGE is any gauge.

I'm sure that they put in a lot of work organizing the event. But isn't the Portland Retro Gaming Expo not for profit? At least for the organizers, I would think it was about the social aspect and the love of the hobby, not necessarily about making money.

-Bill