LDA #$48

JSR $FFD2

LDA #$49

JSR $FFD2

This prints "hi", but when I call this from basic:

100 for j = 1 to 10

105 sys 828

110 next j

... it only prints "HI" one time (using VICE emulator), or it is printing it 10 times one on top of the other, I'm not sure.

The question really is, why doesn't it print: HIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHI ???

Thanks,

JR

Okay, a little more help for the ASM impaired please...

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure about something....

Why DO you need the RTS? Why must we return from the subroutine (I think that is what RTS does)?

Does that return the program back to memory location 033C to start all over again?

And you mentioned that in my original iteration, the program probably hit a BRK and ended, but where is the BRK located in the program?

Thanks!

JR

Why DO you need the RTS? Why must we return from the subroutine (I think that is what RTS does)?

Because by calling the routine with a SYS command you've basically started a subroutine and without the RTS the processor doesn't know when to hand control back to the program doing the calling.

And you mentioned that in my original iteration, the program probably hit a BRK and ended, but where is the BRK located in the program?

There's no way for machine code to know that your code had ended after the second JSR $ffd2 so it just carries on fetching whatever is in memory after that point and trying to execute it. Since the memory is usually filled with patterns of $00 and $ff after powering up, it'll almost certainly hit one of those; $ff isn't a valid command so does nothing when executed, $00 is BRK.

BRK forces an interrupt to occur and can be used for debugging purposes, in your program's case it did pretty much the equivalent of slam the Run/Stop and Restore keys.